Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:50 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow UK
Posts: 140
Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough
Default TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Hi

This has probably been asked before so sorry in advance for asking but....

Can somebody confirm if you have a job offer/LMO then how much money you require for entry as a family when applying for a temp work permit?

According to the wiki "To apply for a temporary work permit, you need to demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada"

Thanks
Happy_Feet is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:01 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 127
DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Hi

I believe the contract you have for the job will do as this will pay you funds to support you and your family. The salary offered should be market rate or the LMO wont be approved. The money question is geared towards those coming in without a job on the cards so they are not claiming support from the government from day 1.....

Any figure you put on the form will supplement your income....

Cheers

Dobbie
DOBBIE is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:07 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
walkerv05's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: From Kingston Upon Hull to Kingston in Ontario
Posts: 702
walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

i may be wrong but arent some jobs excempt from proof of funds? check in the CIC web site.
walkerv05 is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:26 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow UK
Posts: 140
Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Originally Posted by DOBBIE
Hi

I believe the contract you have for the job will do as this will pay you funds to support you and your family. The salary offered should be market rate or the LMO wont be approved. The money question is geared towards those coming in without a job on the cards so they are not claiming support from the government from day 1.....

Any figure you put on the form will supplement your income....

Cheers

Dobbie
Thanks for the answer Dobbiw

I thought I had read that somewhere but for the life of me I could not find it written anywhere this morning

Thanks again!
Happy_Feet is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:27 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow UK
Posts: 140
Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Originally Posted by walkerv05
i may be wrong but arent some jobs excempt from proof of funds? check in the CIC web site.
That's the site I should have looked at this morning, think I looked at everyone except there!

Thanks for replying
Happy_Feet is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:00 am
  #6  
Now on Vancouver Island
 
Judy in Calgary's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,935
Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Originally Posted by Happy_Feet
That's the site I should have looked at this morning, think I looked at everyone except there [CIC website]!

Thanks for replying
Unfortunately I find the information on the CIC website to be inadequate at times. This is a case in point. I've just looked at the Working Temporarily in Canada section.

On page 5, the Guide to Applying for a Work Permit states that you have to show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada. But it does not say how much is enough.

Also, after searching CIC's website on many occasions, I have never seen a list of jobs / occupations that are exempt from this requirement. I'm not saying that such a list does not exist. I'm just saying I don't remember seeing it.

From my recollection of previous discussion threads, I think the Immigration Officer at the Port of Entry typically takes the position that the job to which you will be going by virtue of your temporary work permit is itself proof that you'll have an income with which to support your family.

Obviously you need to use some common sense, as you need money with which to get yourself set up and with which to support your family while you're waiting for your first pay cheque. If you're going to be renting, for example, you need two months' rent up front. You have to pay each month's rent in advance, on the first of the month. Then, when you initially sign a rental agreement, you typically have to pay a damage deposit that is equivalent to a month's rent. You'll almost certainly need to buy a vehicle. In many cases, you'll need to buy white goods. Depending on the province to which you're moving, you may or may not be eligible to enroll in the provincial health care insurance plan from day one, so you may want to buy private medical insurance to cover you during the three-month waiting period that you may run into. The list goes on.

If you have not already read it, I highly recommend Solarfish's Email to a friend.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Feb 8th 2008 at 6:03 am. Reason: Added link to "Email to a friend."
Judy in Calgary is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:36 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow UK
Posts: 140
Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TWP and Money To Support Yourself Question

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Unfortunately I find the information on the CIC website to be inadequate at times. This is a case in point. I've just looked at the Working Temporarily in Canada section.

On page 5, the Guide to Applying for a Work Permit states that you have to show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada. But it does not say how much is enough.

Also, after searching CIC's website on many occasions, I have never seen a list of jobs / occupations that are exempt from this requirement. I'm not saying that such a list does not exist. I'm just saying I don't remember seeing it.

From my recollection of previous discussion threads, I think the Immigration Officer at the Port of Entry typically takes the position that the job to which you will be going by virtue of your temporary work permit is itself proof that you'll have an income with which to support your family.

Obviously you need to use some common sense, as you need money with which to get yourself set up and with which to support your family while you're waiting for your first pay cheque. If you're going to be renting, for example, you need two months' rent up front. You have to pay each month's rent in advance, on the first of the month. Then, when you initially sign a rental agreement, you typically have to pay a damage deposit that is equivalent to a month's rent. You'll almost certainly need to buy a vehicle. In many cases, you'll need to buy white goods. Depending on the province to which you're moving, you may or may not be eligible to enroll in the provincial health care insurance plan from day one, so you may want to buy private medical insurance to cover you during the three-month waiting period that you may run into. The list goes on.

If you have not already read it, I highly recommend Solarfish's Email to a friend.
Thank-you Judy :

You should be writing the CIC website! Thought we were just being dense trying to find the info on their site, where you think it should be

We had never read the "e-mail to a friend" post before, thanks for the link, an interesting read and similar in a lot of ways to our own move to the States when we moved there, we moved in the July, expecting an income by the September, but due to many circumstances outside our control that was pushed back until the December, as you can imagine it was a little tight money wise by then lol

So now we are definetly looking into this move with eyes wide open!

Thanks again Judy
Happy_Feet is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.