Wikiposts

TWP: London or POE?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:17 am
Just Joined

BenJGUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP: London or POE?

I am due to start a university teaching job in Vancouver on 1 January 2010, and have received a positive LMO. I am leaving the UK on 12 December for Seattle (to meet up with my wife and kids, who are going ahead of me and staying with relatives) and was then planning to drive over the border on 14 December. My question is: should I apply for a TWP in London (as my employer advises) and hope it comes before I leave the UK, or should I just take the offer letter, LMO etc to the border with me on 14 December? My TWP application should be straightforward, but I am worried that because I won't be able to send my application to London until next week (due to delays in getting police certificates for me and my wife), the TWP won't get processed in time. Any advice? Does anyone know whether I can simply go to the border and apply if my application in London is still being processed? If the TWP hasn't arrived from London by the time I have to leave, can I ask them to cancel it and then simply apply at the border? I am sorry to have so many questions, but given people are reporting 6-8 week waits in London for TWPs, I am really worried about timing... Any help MUCH appreciated!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:27 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP: London or POE?

Originally Posted by BenJGUK
I am due to start a university teaching job in Vancouver on 1 January 2010, and have received a positive LMO. I am leaving the UK on 12 December for Seattle (to meet up with my wife and kids, who are going ahead of me and staying with relatives) and was then planning to drive over the border on 14 December. My question is: should I apply for a TWP in London (as my employer advises) and hope it comes before I leave the UK, or should I just take the offer letter, LMO etc to the border with me on 14 December? My TWP application should be straightforward, but I am worried that because I won't be able to send my application to London until next week (due to delays in getting police certificates for me and my wife), the TWP won't get processed in time. Any advice? Does anyone know whether I can simply go to the border and apply if my application in London is still being processed? If the TWP hasn't arrived from London by the time I have to leave, can I ask them to cancel it and then simply apply at the border? I am sorry to have so many questions, but given people are reporting 6-8 week waits in London for TWPs, I am really worried about timing... Any help MUCH appreciated!!
Hi CALM DOWN..lol

London doesn't "process" your TWP. It merely looks through your paperwork and sends you a letter saying it has checked it and your okay to go.

I would just take all your paperwork and do it at the POE and you don't need a police certificate for a TWP.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply! My employer is pretty clear about wanting me to apply before POE. Should I just apply and if the letter doesn't come before I leave, then just apply for the TWP at the POE? Will it matter if my application is still being processed in London when I turn up at the border? Also, I'm a bit confused about the police certificate. This form seems pretty clear you need one to apply for a TWP from London:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...wchecklist.pdf

Why would you need to produce on here in London but not at POE?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:40 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenJGUK
Many thanks for the reply. Given my employer wants me to apply to the High Commission in London for the authorisation letter, however, should I just do this and then if the letter doesn't come in time apply for TWP at the POE? Will it matter at the POE if my London application is still being processed? Will they know or care?

P.S. The police certificate seems to be a requirement of the London office (it is listed on the application checklist as mandatory). Why would they require it in London but not at the POE?
When we came over to Canada in 2007 we had a TWP application in at London when we applied for POE in Canada. It made no difference - it just meant we spent $300 for the TWP in the end rather than $150!

I am not sure why they ask for it but I cannot think of one person who has done POE that has had to show their Police Cert - unless perhaps you have a job where this is needed?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

mountainxtc has a brilliant futuremountainxtc has a brilliant futuremountainxtc has a brilliant futuremountainxtc has a brilliant futuremountainxtc has a brilliant futuremountainxtc has a brilliant future

I get a new TWP every year. I used to apply to London for the authorization letter but it's completely pointless. Just get it at POE, I have done it at both YVR (long lines sometimes) and at Peace Arch (zero lines). Easy. You have to wait at immigration to get the piece of paper in your passport even with the letter so getting the letter from London doesn't save you any time overall. Don't panic, it's easy. I have never had to get a police check, London or POE, it's not a requirement.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mountainxtc
I get a new TWP every year. I used to apply to London for the authorization letter but it's completely pointless. Just get it at POE, I have done it at both YVR (long lines sometimes) and at Peace Arch (zero lines). Easy. You have to wait at immigration to get the piece of paper in your passport even with the letter so getting the letter from London doesn't save you any time overall. Don't panic, it's easy. I have never had to get a police check, London or POE, it's not a requirement.
do it POE definitely. I was working in canada at a university (2007-2008) and didnt realise you could do it at POE. London took months to send me the paperwork. In fact it arrived only 2 days before my job was to start.

With the current postal strikes and London visa office general delays, POE will be the safer bet. I wasnt asked for a police check but take everything you might think you need.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Manek is an unknown quantity at this point

We were asked for Police clearance by London office in processing TWP in June 2009 but I think thats not case with POE visa
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manek
We were asked for Police clearance by London office in processing TWP in June 2009 but I think thats not case with POE visa
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies - it is great to informed answers so quickly. I have now written to my employer asking whether they really want me to apply for the letter from London, and will hope that they say just try at POE... If they say no, then given the processing times and strikes I'll probably end up doing it there anyway - and lose a few hundred bucks as a result!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

kateodonnell is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a bit late to add to the thread, but ... I would definatly go for POE if you can, we submitted our TWP application by Hand to London on the 18th Sept and still have not received a file number or anything back from them, when i chased on email they told me to wait until 6 weeks after submiossion before even asking what is happening!!! If you dont need a medical (Which unfortunatly my hubby does) - got for POE!! Good luck