Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default Re: TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

Originally Posted by helcat12
My husband has just bought a beautiful new solid cedar Queen size bed and mattress in B.C for just over $500. He is really pleased with it, it looks fantastic and is excellent quality. I couldn't buy such a well made product for that price in the UK.
After some research on his part over the last few months, we have decided not to ship very much at all in the way of furniture as he has found excellent things for prices which make shipping a waste of money.
I am also putting all our CDs onto a hard drive to transport them, which should cut down a few boxes!
Our CDs are already on a hard drive and we'll take our (extensive) DVD/Blu-Ray collection out of their cases and just bring the discs. We can then bring the cases over when we have PR, along with our books (we can join a library in the short term), record collection, artworks, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JandG
Ok, this sounds encouraging...did you have your family with you at the time? What about 'Goods to Follow'? Can you expand on your 'complications' at all?

I totally understand that nothing can be guaranteed when it comes to trying to deal with everything at POE, but we don't really have much choice! Timing is crucial, as my wife is pregnant (FAR easier to make the move before the baby is born). Furthermore, I have to start work with my Canadian employer before the end of March, but neither of us can finish work in the UK until 11th March!

I'm sure some of you will consider us to be completely crazy, but we are prepared to take these risks to achieve the life we have dreamt of for the last 7 years...plus, it's probably less of a risk than staying in the UK at the moment!
complications......check my other threads, but put it this way, I can't enter the USA for a visit

here's how ours planned out (read my timeline in my sig also)

I finished my job in the uk on the friday
we sold my car and shipped the house contents on the saturday
I flew out alone to Halifax on the saturday night to start the new job on the monday
I lived in a B&B for 2 weeks whilst I found a house to rent
My family (partner and 2 kids) joined me 8 or 9 weeks later after camping in our empty house whilst it was on the market
The goods to follow list was simple...see the wiki

I DIY'ed the shipping Leeds to Fall River, and the customs and onward shipping

risky, yes. worth it...hell yes!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:34 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, please forgive me if this topic has been covered before...I'm fairly new here.

I am currently still in the UK, but have employment in Dartmouth, NS and my wife and I will be coming out late March. My employer has obtained a positive LMO with 2 years (maximum) duration and I have original copies of the Job Offer, Contract and LMO on the way to me from Canada as I type.

The plan has been to obtain a TWP and SOWP at POE (Halifax) and to apply for residency once we are here. We are selling our house in the UK and will be shipping all our furniture and worldly possessions along with us...including the cat!

However, I have now read that when applying for the TWP you shouldn't mention anything about wanting to apply for residency (something about them considering you as having 'dual intention') and that the IO could have issue with your application if your job offer suggests that you have been offered a permanent position!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me...we don't have a great deal of time left before we fly out and I'd really like to know that we've got everything straight!

Many thanks in advance...
We did a POE in May 2009. All our worldly goods were on the high sea a couple of days behind us. Its not a problem at all. We the IO looks at you paper work they may or may not ask you, your intentions once the TWP/LMO runs out. Just be honest and tell them that if your PR has not come through or you dont get a new LMO then you will leave the country. They didnt ask us. You will be fine. We had a two year LMO and got a two year TWP I think its standard to give you the TWP for the duration of the LMO.

If you can, try and get a B4 form from Customs at POE, when you show them your goods to follow list. Its not a problem if you dont get one though - Toronto didnt give us one - you can still clear your goods without problems when they arrive.

Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
We did a POE in May 2009. All our worldly goods were on the high sea a couple of days behind us. Its not a problem at all. We the IO looks at you paper work they may or may not ask you, your intentions once the TWP/LMO runs out. Just be honest and tell them that if your PR has not come through or you dont get a new LMO then you will leave the country. They didnt ask us. You will be fine. We had a two year LMO and got a two year TWP I think its standard to give you the TWP for the duration of the LMO.

If you can, try and get a B4 form from Customs at POE, when you show them your goods to follow list. Its not a problem if you dont get one though - Toronto didnt give us one - you can still clear your goods without problems when they arrive.

Good luck
Thank you for sharing your experience - tbh, that is very reassuring!

I have just been reading through the Wiki and it seems that it may not be viewed as quite such a nightmare if we have a container of possessions following closely behind. However, we still feel that selling our furniture and reducing the cost of shipping accordingly would make a lot of sense.

It also seems that if you put everything on your Goods to Follow list, that you can ship your possessions across in dribs and drabs across whatever timeline you care to choose...as long as they are on the goods to follow list!

However, it also says that if you are entering on a TWP, that you don't need a Goods to Follow list! This is all so confusing!!

So, if we draw up a list of possessions that we may, at some point, wish to bring to Canada, this will enable us to bring those items in as and when we please?

...but we don't need the list until we are activating PR? So, if we have possessions that we bought with us when entering on TWP/LMO do we need to put those on the Goods to Follow list when we activate PR?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:05 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing your experience - tbh, that is very reassuring!

I have just been reading through the Wiki and it seems that it may not be viewed as quite such a nightmare if we have a container of possessions following closely behind. However, we still feel that selling our furniture and reducing the cost of shipping accordingly would make a lot of sense.

It also seems that if you put everything on your Goods to Follow list, that you can ship your possessions across in dribs and drabs across whatever timeline you care to choose...as long as they are on the goods to follow list!

However, it also says that if you are entering on a TWP, that you don't need a Goods to Follow list! This is all so confusing!!

So, if we draw up a list of possessions that we may, at some point, wish to bring to Canada, this will enable us to bring those items in as and when we please?

...but we don't need the list until we are activating PR? So, if we have possessions that we bought with us when entering on TWP/LMO do we need to put those on the Goods to Follow list when we activate PR?
You will need a GTF list. Put everything on the list you have, it doesnt mean to have to bring it. Also make sure you have a list that has the value of the items, not their replacement value just a rough estimate of what they are worth. When you go to Customs to clear your goods, if you still have some stuff still to come over, then be sure and tell the Customs office. If you dont, they will close the "file" on what you can bring in tax and duty free. Any thing shipped at a later date will have a manifest and will have to be cleared at Customs - hence telling them you still have stuff to come over.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
You will need a GTF list. Put everything on the list you have, it doesnt mean to have to bring it. Also make sure you have a list that has the value of the items, not their replacement value just a rough estimate of what they are worth. When you go to Customs to clear your goods, if you still have some stuff still to come over, then be sure and tell the Customs office. If you dont, they will close the "file" on what you can bring in tax and duty free. Any thing shipped at a later date will have a manifest and will have to be cleared at Customs - hence telling them you still have stuff to come over.
Brilliant - Thank you so much!!