Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

Firstly, please forgive me if this topic has been covered before...I'm fairly new here.

I am currently still in the UK, but have employment in Dartmouth, NS and my wife and I will be coming out late March. My employer has obtained a positive LMO with 2 years (maximum) duration and I have original copies of the Job Offer, Contract and LMO on the way to me from Canada as I type.

The plan has been to obtain a TWP and SOWP at POE (Halifax) and to apply for residency once we are here. We are selling our house in the UK and will be shipping all our furniture and worldly possessions along with us...including the cat!

However, I have now read that when applying for the TWP you shouldn't mention anything about wanting to apply for residency (something about them considering you as having 'dual intention') and that the IO could have issue with your application if your job offer suggests that you have been offered a permanent position!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me...we don't have a great deal of time left before we fly out and I'd really like to know that we've got everything straight!

Many thanks in advance...
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default Re: TWP with intention to get PR...confused about POE procedure

Have I asked a really stupid question, or do I take it that I'm not the only one who is confused?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JandG
Have I asked a really stupid question, or do I take it that I'm not the only one who is confused?
No, I don't think its a stupid question.
Fingers crossed my family and I will find ourselves in this situation in a couple of months so I would be interested in peoples experiences.
Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GC44
No, I don't think its a stupid question.
Fingers crossed my family and I will find ourselves in this situation in a couple of months so I would be interested in peoples experiences.
Good luck with your move.
Thanks - good luck with everything yourself!!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:03 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, please forgive me if this topic has been covered before...I'm fairly new here.

I am currently still in the UK, but have employment in Dartmouth, NS and my wife and I will be coming out late March. My employer has obtained a positive LMO with 2 years (maximum) duration and I have original copies of the Job Offer, Contract and LMO on the way to me from Canada as I type.

The plan has been to obtain a TWP and SOWP at POE (Halifax) and to apply for residency once we are here. We are selling our house in the UK and will be shipping all our furniture and worldly possessions along with us...including the cat!

However, I have now read that when applying for the TWP you shouldn't mention anything about wanting to apply for residency (something about them considering you as having 'dual intention') and that the IO could have issue with your application if your job offer suggests that you have been offered a permanent position!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me...we don't have a great deal of time left before we fly out and I'd really like to know that we've got everything straight!

No, it is fine to say you are intending to apply for PR once you get there.
My OH went in late August and got his TWP at POE Calgary Airport. He had all of our paperwork for the PR FSW2 application with him. When he went into his meeting with the Immigration Officer, he took his job offer, his LMO and his passport. He told them that his job was permanent, he didn't have a return plane ticket and that he intended to apply for PR straight away and that I (his wife) was in the UK and waiting until we had PR before selling up and joining him. They were fine about that and he had his TWP within half an hour.
The only thing I can see being a problem is that you are selling up and taking all your stuff i.e. assuming that you will be granted PR and allowed to stay, which isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion.
I am not sure how they will view this.
Also, just because you have 2 years LMO does not mean that you will be given a 2 year work permit. They are independent of one another.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure you won't have any problems at Halifax airport. My experience with them was that dispite my 'complications' the IO there was super nice.

I showed the IO my LMO and my job contract offering the permenant position. I was not asked about plans passed the 2 year permit.

We applied for PR the week after landing.....I would of thought this was a common occourance.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
The only thing I can see being a problem is that you are selling up and taking all your stuff i.e. assuming that you will be granted PR and allowed to stay, which isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion.
I am not sure how they will view this.
Also, just because you have 2 years LMO does not mean that you will be given a 2 year work permit. They are independent of one another.
I was under the assumption that TWP had to be renewed every 12 months? The reason that I mention the LMO duration is that it shows that Service Canada were happy to provide the maximum duration for the LMO.

As I understand it, if we apply for PR under the NSNP we could have this within the first 12 months?

Also, my wife will be on Maternity Leave, so still technically has a job to go back to in the UK...would it really be viewed as that strange to bring your furniture with you if you were expecting to be living and working in another country for a year or more?

Originally Posted by spaceace
I'm sure you won't have any problems at Halifax airport. My experience with them was that dispite my 'complications' the IO there was super nice.

I showed the IO my LMO and my job contract offering the permenant position. I was not asked about plans passed the 2 year permit.

We applied for PR the week after landing.....I would of thought this was a common occourance.

Good luck!
Ok, this sounds encouraging...did you have your family with you at the time? What about 'Goods to Follow'? Can you expand on your 'complications' at all?

I totally understand that nothing can be guaranteed when it comes to trying to deal with everything at POE, but we don't really have much choice! Timing is crucial, as my wife is pregnant (FAR easier to make the move before the baby is born). Furthermore, I have to start work with my Canadian employer before the end of March, but neither of us can finish work in the UK until 11th March!

I'm sure some of you will consider us to be completely crazy, but we are prepared to take these risks to achieve the life we have dreamt of for the last 7 years...plus, it's probably less of a risk than staying in the UK at the moment!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:36 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the assumption that TWP had to be renewed every 12 months? The reason that I mention the LMO duration is that it shows that Service Canada were happy to provide the maximum duration for the LMO.
Some people get a TWP that is longer than 1 year - it depends on the Immigration Officer at the POE and there seems to be no reason why this varies that I can see from hearing about other people. You will not know how long you will be given until the IO hands you the TWP.
Getting the TWP at POE isn't a problem, as I said and neither is intending to apply for PR while you are there.
Immigration is mainly concerned with two things;
Are you entering the country legally?
and
Are you going to leave when you are supposed to if you are only there temporarily?
You will be entering Canada initially as a Temporary worker and that is the point. Applying for PR gives you no right to stay until it is approved and you have been granted PR, so if for some unforseen reason you do not get PR within the timeframe of your TWP, you would have to stop working. (Of course, you can stay for 6 months as a visitor.) If you are taking everything at this point, it might seem to the IO that you are putting yourself in a position that would make it hard to leave if you were required to do so at the end of your TWP. From evidence I have seen, most people do not take all their worldly goods with them if they are only going on a TWP. They tend to leave that until they receive PR and land as such.
Yes, if the process goes smoothly you should be through it in under a year, but there are no guarantees.
It is a risk, in my opinion, but if you are prepared to take it, then that is up to you. I wasn't, so I stayed here while my husband went to work and our PR application is processing now. When it is approved, I will join him. I felt that was the best and safest option and we are without children, so coming back wouldn't have been such a problem for us as it would be for you if it went wrong. As with most things, if it all goes well then afterwards you wonder why there was such a fuss, but if it doesn't, you wonder why you took such a massive chance.
As your moving plans are already set, it seems you have already made the choice to take the risk, so I hope your arrangements go to plan.
Good Luck and best wishes for the forthcoming birth.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Our TWP was issued for 3 years and we are just in the process of renewing it, runs out next month and we sent docs off before Christmas with a positive LMO and explained we required another TWP whilst waiting for PR to go through. Hope the TWP is back soon
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Some people get a TWP that is longer than 1 year - it depends on the Immigration Officer at the POE and there seems to be no reason why this varies that I can see from hearing about other people. You will not know how long you will be given until the IO hands you the TWP.
Getting the TWP at POE isn't a problem, as I said and neither is intending to apply for PR while you are there.
Immigration is mainly concerned with two things;
Are you entering the country legally?
and
Are you going to leave when you are supposed to if you are only there temporarily?
You will be entering Canada initially as a Temporary worker and that is the point. Applying for PR gives you no right to stay until it is approved and you have been granted PR, so if for some unforseen reason you do not get PR within the timeframe of your TWP, you would have to stop working. (Of course, you can stay for 6 months as a visitor.) If you are taking everything at this point, it might seem to the IO that you are putting yourself in a position that would make it hard to leave if you were required to do so at the end of your TWP. From evidence I have seen, most people do not take all their worldly goods with them if they are only going on a TWP. They tend to leave that until they receive PR and land as such.
Yes, if the process goes smoothly you should be through it in under a year, but there are no guarantees.
It is a risk, in my opinion, but if you are prepared to take it, then that is up to you. I wasn't, so I stayed here while my husband went to work and our PR application is processing now. When it is approved, I will join him. I felt that was the best and safest option and we are without children, so coming back wouldn't have been such a problem for us as it would be for you if it went wrong. As with most things, if it all goes well then afterwards you wonder why there was such a fuss, but if it doesn't, you wonder why you took such a massive chance.
As your moving plans are already set, it seems you have already made the choice to take the risk, so I hope your arrangements go to plan.
Good Luck and best wishes for the forthcoming birth.
I do see what you are saying, but your situation is evidently somewhat different to ours - you are without children, whilst our first is due on May 20th this year. I am not prepared to go out ahead of my wife and miss the birth of my child and nor is she prepared for me to do so.

If we were to wait until after the birth, then this would bring with it it's own complications, not to mention to potential jeopardy that delaying the move for that long could place on my employment offer in Canada. So we have little choice in respect of when we go, or in respect of obtaining TWP/SOWP at POE.

However, I totally see your point in respect of arriving with all our worldly possessions following closely behind us.

This has caused us to consider this aspect of our move with a fresh pair of eyes and we have pretty much come to the conclusion that we might as well sell our furniture and those belongings that are not sentimentally precious to us. We don't have any furniture that we can't bear to part with and none of it is particularly valuable anyway. The money saved on shipping and insurance would be more than enough to replace everything in Canada (not to mention the additional funds raised by selling everything here).

I would imagine that immigration would be more understanding of us arriving with a few boxes of 'essentials' and we can simply rent a furnished property, rather than unfurnished as we had originally planned. Anything we can't bear to part with and can't ship immediately can be put in storage with family and we can arrange to have this shipped out when we achieve PR status later down the line.

Anyone's views on this revised approach would be welcome!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:44 am
Island life at last

I do see what you are saying, but your situation is evidently somewhat different to ours - you are without children, whilst our first is due on May 20th this year. I am not prepared to go out ahead of my wife and miss the birth of my child and nor is she prepared for me to do so.

If we were to wait until after the birth, then this would bring with it it's own complications, not to mention to potential jeopardy that delaying the move for that long could place on my employment offer in Canada. So we have little choice in respect of when we go, or in respect of obtaining TWP/SOWP at POE.

However, I totally see your point in respect of arriving with all our worldly possessions following closely behind us.

This has caused us to consider this aspect of our move with a fresh pair of eyes and we have pretty much come to the conclusion that we might as well sell our furniture and those belongings that are not sentimentally precious to us. We don't have any furniture that we can't bear to part with and none of it is particularly valuable anyway. The money saved on shipping and insurance would be more than enough to replace everything in Canada (not to mention the additional funds raised by selling everything here).

I would imagine that immigration would be more understanding of us arriving with a few boxes of 'essentials' and we can simply rent a furnished property, rather than unfurnished as we had originally planned. Anything we can't bear to part with and can't ship immediately can be put in storage with family and we can arrange to have this shipped out when we achieve PR status later down the line.

Anyone's views on this revised approach would be welcome!
I think that is a good plan all round!
I am glad that you didn't take my comments too negatively - sometimes it just needs someone to raise the objections and prompt a rethink.
I do understand how you feel about the birth and that the timing of the job has come awkwardly for you both. I certainly wouldn't advise you waiting to go in respect of taking up your post - we didn't want to delay my husband starting work either for all the reasons you have probably thought of, too.
This sounds like it would have a lot of positive side aspects for you; raising some cash, making the move less complicated to organise and less costly.... as well as removing the possibility of any difficulty at Immigration when you arrive. I am sure they will understand you needing to take the cat
I am sure that you will find everything that you need to replace in Canada easily. My husband has found craigslist in B.C a brilliant source of rental accommodation (he got his flat through that route), furniture (both second hand and new) and other odds and bods, like a bicycle and trailer! Maybe in NS it is just as useful.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

I think that is a good plan all round!
I am glad that you didn't take my comments too negatively - sometimes it just needs someone to raise the objections and prompt a rethink.
I do understand how you feel about the birth and that the timing of the job has come awkwardly for you both. I certainly wouldn't advise you waiting to go in respect of taking up your post - we didn't want to delay my husband starting work either for all the reasons you have probably thought of, too.
This sounds like it would have a lot of positive side aspects for you; raising some cash, making the move less complicated to organise and less costly.... as well as removing the possibility of any difficulty at Immigration when you arrive. I am sure they will understand you needing to take the cat
I am sure that you will find everything that you need to replace in Canada easily. My husband has found craigslist in B.C a brilliant source of rental accommodation (he got his flat through that route), furniture (both second hand and new) and other odds and bods, like a bicycle and trailer! Maybe in NS it is just as useful.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
To be perfectly honest, other than working out how we will sell everything in the 7 weeks that we have left it's a huge weight off our minds not having to deal with the shipping, etc.

The extra money will be a definite bonus and starting our new life in such a comprehensive fashion is kinda exciting!

Thanks for your input and for your good wishes...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:54 am
Island life at last

To be perfectly honest, other than working out how we will sell everything in the 7 weeks that we have left it's a huge weight off our minds not having to deal with the shipping, etc.

The extra money will be a definite bonus and starting our new life in such a comprehensive fashion is kinda exciting!

Thanks for your input and for your good wishes...
Car boot sale - stick 50p on everything and go for it!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

That is what we did as we didn't have much furniture worth shipping. We shipped approx 40 boxes of stuff and budgeted to buy what we needed once in Canada and we have no complaints with what we bought
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:49 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
That is what we did as we didn't have much furniture worth shipping. We shipped approx 40 boxes of stuff and budgeted to buy what we needed once in Canada and we have no complaints with what we bought
My husband has just bought a beautiful new solid cedar Queen size bed and mattress in B.C for just over $500. He is really pleased with it, it looks fantastic and is excellent quality. I couldn't buy such a well made product for that price in the UK.
After some research on his part over the last few months, we have decided not to ship very much at all in the way of furniture as he has found excellent things for prices which make shipping a waste of money.
I am also putting all our CDs onto a hard drive to transport them, which should cut down a few boxes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.