twp - full residents

Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:04 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: twp - full residents

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Yep, budget for ~2 years from the point when you put your application in, to be safe.
It has taken 4 and a half months just for us to get notification of passing the first stage at the Central Intake Office, although it seems they do a lot more of the legwork than they used to. Also, London does seem to have got a wriggle on recently since the FSWCat1 caps came into force, so maybe it will be faster at the Visa Office stage now.
I will be sure to update everyone on FSW Cat 2 timescales for post June 26th applications, along with CanadaJimmy who is in the same boat and about a month ahead of us.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by helcat12
Yep, we were worried about that, especially in these times of recession.
Unlike many others, we are not selling our house until the Permanent Residence comes through the door! It means I am here in the UK alone keeping house and cats until then while OH works in B.C alone, which is horrible, but we thought discretion was the better part of valour and decided not to risk it.
To the OP, a word about the timescale. It takes quite a while to go through the process from start to finish - check the footnotes of the posters on this site to see just how long it might take you to become PR. You might be surprised.
I just read your footnote for your OH

TWP at POE 22/8/10

When you say port of entry do you mean at the airport? does this mean your oh left and returned?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

tom-sarah_addy is an unknown quantity at this point

were looking at making a profit of around £20,000 to £25 we have no other sasavingss everything has been put in the house, would this be enough. i am scared of the risks but looking at this country the risk are just as big due to construction work plplummetingnd cuts everywhere. i have a popositivetattitudeowards our big adventure as if we make it a susuccessn canada it will be the best thing to happen to us and if we fail come back with our tail between our legs, at least we tried. is this a good thing or bad
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:26 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyN
I just read your footnote for your OH

TWP at POE 22/8/10

When you say port of entry do you mean at the airport? does this mean your oh left and returned?
It means he got a permanent job offer and his positive LMO and then flew to Canada to start work pretty much straight away after working his 1 month notice in his UK job. When he landed, he went to the immigration officer at the airport with his paperwork and said he wanted to apply for a TWP. He showed them his LMO and job offer letter and they gave him the TWP.
It is called applying for TWP at the Port of Entry.

He didn't come back after that - he went to work!
He has been back for a visit since but other than that he is now resident in Canada as a Temporary Worker.PR is in process now.

Last edited by helcat12; Jan 26th 2011 at 8:27 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom-sarah_addy
were looking at making a profit of around £20,000 to £25 we have no other sasavingss everything has been put in the house, would this be enough. i am scared of the risks but looking at this country the risk are just as big due to construction work plplummetingnd cuts everywhere. i have a popositivetattitudeowards our big adventure as if we make it a susuccessn canada it will be the best thing to happen to us and if we fail come back with our tail between our legs, at least we tried. is this a good thing or bad
Your call of course, you just have to remember that you will only be on a temporary visa until you get PR, and particularly in a trade such as roofing, could be laid off at any time. Construction workers in Canada seem to get laid off with frightening regularity so unless you can get a watertight contract it's quite a risk to take.

You'll spend a lot of that profit getting over there, so what if you have to return after only a few months? I don't know if you can save up over the next year and then rent your house instead which would give you something to return to if needed? JMO of course, but maybe something to chat to your wife about and think about whether it's worth risking or not.

Good luck deciding.