Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP/Flagpoling... it's complicated!

TWP/Flagpoling... it's complicated!

Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:50 am
Just Joined

devilzsoup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP/Flagpoling... it's complicated!

I did look around and I found a similar thread but I'll start a new one as my situation is a little different...

Long story short: this is my 5th year in Canada, I'm applying for PR through common law sponsorship in approx 3 weeks (waiting on medical date) and currently have an implied status TRV.

However I'm a dance teacher and my employer desperately needs me to start working on sept 10th as there is nobody else available to cover my classes if I can't work and if that happens the studio will likely close. She has told me I'll have to work illegally which obviously I am not willing to do but I don't want the studio to have to close either!

I was approved for an LMO 3 years ago when we first applied for my TWP... that TWP application got lost and eventually shredded by CIC Vegreville which they finally admitted to this summer. They sent me a 1 month TRV that arrived on June 10th and ran out on July 5th so there was not even a remote chance of getting a new TWP application in a month before it ran out. Especially as they also asked me to get another LMO!!

SO once my employer gets another positive LMO... would I be able to flagpole to get a new TWP so I can start working sooner especially when I'll be applying for PR within a month? Will that make any difference?

I do not want to work illegally and we need to find a way to get me working legally asap!

Any advice?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:07 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TWP/Flagpoling... it's complicated!

Your employer has almost no chance, that I'm aware of, of obtaining an LMO before 10th September if it is just being applied for now - so no chance of getting a TWP either.

If your employer has to shut that is not your fault, it is their business and their problem - don't work illegally.

You say you have a TRV - what citizenship do you have?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Yeah, what BTJ said - even if they are eligible for an Accelerated LMO, it would be tricky - unless that is what's already in progress.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No flagpoling is easy its the employers and employees who make it complicated by leaving things to the last minute and expecting CIC/CBSA to bend over backwards to accomodate them.
Why wasnt your LMO applied for 4 months ago or how come you didnt tell your employer that your TWP is about to expire in about 4 months and they should apply for the LMO.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

newharbour is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - for avoidance of doubt - is to flagpole, to cross an international border and then re-enter canada, for the purpose of being out of the country when you get the TWP?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newharbour
OK - for avoidance of doubt - is to flagpole, to cross an international border and then re-enter canada, for the purpose of being out of the country when you get the TWP?
Yes.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Well when I first got the TRV (that lasted for less than a month after I received it) my employer was on vacation in Europe for 6 weeks ... alright for some! I told her as soon as she returned home and she started the process by putting an advert out for a new teacher... and that's all she's done.

We weren't entirely sure at first whether I would be allowed to work or not but thanks to the call centre being ridiculous to get through to I've only just had this confirmed and told her straight away.

As stupid an idea as this is gonna sound... if I work for "no pay" (i.e. they pay me once I have either TWP or PR) would that be allowed?

Frankly quitting has been on my mind for some time anyway (I get paid a great part time wage... for full time hours!) so perhaps this is the universe's way of telling me to get the hell out of dodge!

Oh and I'm from the UK originally.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

also thanks to everyone for your replies!!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by devilzsoup
Well when I first got the TRV (that lasted for less than a month after I received it) my employer was on vacation in Europe for 6 weeks ... alright for some! I told her as soon as she returned home and she started the process by putting an advert out for a new teacher... and that's all she's done.

We weren't entirely sure at first whether I would be allowed to work or not but thanks to the call centre being ridiculous to get through to I've only just had this confirmed and told her straight away.

As stupid an idea as this is gonna sound... if I work for "no pay" (i.e. they pay me once I have either TWP or PR) would that be allowed?

Frankly quitting has been on my mind for some time anyway (I get paid a great part time wage... for full time hours!) so perhaps this is the universe's way of telling me to get the hell out of dodge!

Oh and I'm from the UK originally.
I certainly dont recommend you work for no pay as its just a way of bypassing the system and if caught you could be reported and removed from Canada.
Yes it sucks but the system is what it is and the employers find it a hassle to apply for LMOs when really its quite easy. If an employer really wants you they will apply for the LMO.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I certainly dont recommend you work for no pay as its just a way of bypassing the system and if caught you could be reported and removed from Canada.
Yes it sucks but the system is what it is and the employers find it a hassle to apply for LMOs when really its quite easy. If an employer really wants you they will apply for the LMO.
that's what I was thinking... frankly I think it's about time I told her to shove it up her arse and wait for my PR application to go through. lol