Wikiposts

TWP Extension Received!!

Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:22 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default TWP Extension Received!!

TWP extension received yesterday!!

It took exactly 3 months since the online application went in and we got 2 years this time. (only got 1 year when we arrived on Jan 1 2011)

Almost a bit of an anti climax now as our PR application seems to be moving a lot quicker than anticipated. Thought we would hear nothing until at least next February and we've already had to submit medicals.

Hoping things continue to move swiftly as eldest daughter can't work in Alberta until she turns 18 in Feb. Fingers crossed we will have PR by then otherwise she will have to apply for a work permit herself (assume another 3 month wait) Will be great when she can start earning her own $ and stop spending ours
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP Extension Received!!

I've just been wondering how soon we should apply to extend our TWP which expires in May. We've registered to apply online so I guess we need to be thinking about it around the beginning of February :-)
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:13 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NicknBridget
I've just been wondering how soon we should apply to extend our TWP which expires in May. We've registered to apply online so I guess we need to be thinking about it around the beginning of February :-)
We went on our lawyers advice on when to put in the application for the extension, just over 4 months fromoriginal TWP expiry date. The time to process was pretty much what it said online, for once.

BTW the new TWP was dated 2 years from now, not the old expiry date.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

One point that might be worth considering is that so long as you apply for a new TWP prior to the existing TWP expiry, you are allowed to continue working, even if the original TWP expires.

eg my original TWP expired mid August, I applied for new TWP at the beginning of Aug. I was able to continue working legally until the new TWP arrived mid October. The new TWP started from the mid October date.

Word of warning though : it is not so much applying for the TWP that takes time (see above) as ensuring that you have a new LMO. If your TWP expires May, I'd start the LMO process NOW (current processing time of 12 weeks excluding holidays in BC for LMO). The LMO, once awarded, has 6 months in which to apply for TWP.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great advice from you both. Thanks so much. We didn't know you could carry on working if your TWP expired so long as you had applied for a new one
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:14 am
Don't call me MOM!!

Just one other thing...check the date your current passport expires before you apply for the extension.

We all have 2 years on the extension, except our youngest daughter. She now has 6 months less than us on her visitors permit as her passport expires earlier! Shouldn't be a problem as we will hopefully have PR early next year, but still something to think about.