Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP expiring when FSW2 application in progress?

TWP expiring when FSW2 application in progress?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

gymbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP expiring when FSW2 application in progress?

Originally Posted by helcat12
Just to confirm what others have said - my OH TWP and LMO expired while our FSW Cat 2 was going on (it still is!) and so he had to go through the whole thing again.
The advertising and all the recruitment proof has to be done and submitted again and then the TWP applied for once the LMO is approved.

This is a pain and considering it takes about 3 months start to finish to do the LMO (when you add up 3 weeks at least advertising, time to prepare the application and then the time for HRSDC to process it) you find yourself worrying about this only a few months into being here (assuming that you only had a 1 year TWP initially like we did.)

PNP removes the need for another LMO so you can relax and just get on with working and get another TWP which is supported by your PNP application so that is all OK.

Had we known this at the time we would have used this application stream.
Hi Helcat,

Thank you so much for the advise. I have been waiting for my LMO for 6 weeks now and I was advised that will be at least another 6 weeks before they will look at my application. I am not sure if it is because they are changing to an electronic system after the new year. I will definitely try the PNP route for permanent residence. When I saw the new average processing times today my heart sank and I was not sure if I should still go ahead with the move. I guess you never know anyway how long it is going to take because everything can change in a year or a few months. The right attitude is probably to take life a day at a time and not worry to much about the future.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:11 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gymbunny
Hi Helcat,

Thank you so much for the advise. I have been waiting for my LMO for 6 weeks now and I was advised that will be at least another 6 weeks before they will look at my application. I am not sure if it is because they are changing to an electronic system after the new year. I will definitely try the PNP route for permanent residence. When I saw the new average processing times today my heart sank and I was not sure if I should still go ahead with the move. I guess you never know anyway how long it is going to take because everything can change in a year or a few months. The right attitude is probably to take life a day at a time and not worry to much about the future.
I'd use this time to look at the PNP for the Province of your choice. I assume you will get your TWP at Port of Entry?

If so, you can then just apply when you are in Canada working.

Good Luck
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Yes, I am planning to get my TWP at Port of Entry.
Just been thinking about something....
I have Dutch and British nationality. I have lived in the UK for the last 10 years and last year got my British passport. Do you think I can process my Permanent Residence through Berlin in Germany because I am Dutch (would much prefer this!) or should it be London because I live in the UK?

Last edited by gymbunny; Nov 3rd 2011 at 6:23 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Ignore my previous post. Already got the answer, I can choose
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:10 am
Just Joined

I have been reading up on the PNP and have a number of questions:
Does anyone know if you can apply for PNP and FSW2 at the same time?
I presume the PNP process will take about 6 months in Ontario, 3 months for the employer to be pre-approved and another 3 months for the employee to be approved, is this correct?
After that you apply for permanent residence, and with PNP it will reduce the waiting time by about 6 months compared to FSW2. Therefore it works out about the same waiting time but the advantage is that you don't need to apply for another LMO with a positive PNP.