TWP Dilema

Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Default TWP Dilema

Have a somewhat complicated question.

We are in Alberta on my husbands TWP he is shunt driver so not long haul and therefore not able to get a PNP. His company said they will renew his TWP when it runs out in Sep for another year but if we want PNP he has to go out on the road which is what we are trying to avoid.

I am now looking for a job as a financial advisor or anything else that qualifies for a pnp. Wondering what the situation will be with my hubby if we dont get PR by the time his renewed work permit has run out. Will he then have to leave the country for 4 months, or will he just not beable to work. Also if I get a job where he can have spousal open work permit is it best for him to take that rather than renewing his own work permit?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TWP Dilema

Hi,

I am not sure about this....... but I think I remember reading that spouses of students could get spousal work permits. So if you were to do a degree / diploma your husband could work while you were studying.

Additionally, six months into your course you would be able to get an Off Campus Work Permit and you would also be elligable for a Two year Post Gradaute Work Permit on finishing your course. Word of caution - ensure the institution and the course meet the requirements of the OCWP and PGWP schemes!!!!

But this may get you and he work visas for long enough while you wait for your PR.

Just a thought, but check about spouses of students and whether they can get an open work permit, not sure but I think they can.

Kindest

Ben
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BenB2
Hi,

I am not sure about this....... but I think I remember reading that spouses of students could get spousal work permits. So if you were to do a degree / diploma your husband could work while you were studying.

Additionally, six months into your course you would be able to get an Off Campus Work Permit and you would also be elligable for a Two year Post Gradaute Work Permit on finishing your course. Word of caution - ensure the institution and the course meet the requirements of the OCWP and PGWP schemes!!!!

But this may get you and he work visas for long enough while you wait for your PR.

Just a thought, but check about spouses of students and whether they can get an open work permit, not sure but I think they can.

Kindest

Ben
Thanks for that Ben though not really looking to go back into education I have 2 young children, makes it difficult to study. Though it is always good to keep your options open.

Thanks again
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like nobody knows the answer to this one then.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allicat001
Looks like nobody knows the answer to this one then.
Why is he not eligible for PNP if he doesn't drive long haul?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Why is he not eligible for PNP if he doesn't drive long haul?
Because driving is a semi-skilled occupation and Alberta will only approve PNP nominations for long haul drivers. There are plenty of local drivers available. See: http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra.../trucking.html It is the same for BC.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Have a somewhat complicated question.

We are in Alberta on my husbands TWP he is shunt driver so not long haul and therefore not able to get a PNP. His company said they will renew his TWP when it runs out in Sep for another year but if we want PNP he has to go out on the road which is what we are trying to avoid.

I am now looking for a job as a financial advisor or anything else that qualifies for a pnp. Wondering what the situation will be with my hubby if we dont get PR by the time his renewed work permit has run out. Will he then have to leave the country for 4 months, or will he just not beable to work. Also if I get a job where he can have spousal open work permit is it best for him to take that rather than renewing his own work permit?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
Hi hun

Can he get another TWP ? If so then you can just renew that.

Why Financial Advisor ? Did you do that in the UK or before you had the kids ? I do know that ATB are looking to expand its Investor Services arm but they are only taking people one with huge amounts of experience and also you have to accredited to be able to have the job etc. so not sure how you will stand.

Please also bear in mind that people who applied for nomination in May 09 have only just started to received their certificates for their Alberta nomination - so time wise you also have to see if that fits in your time scale also

If you can get your own TWP then Oh is quite able to just get a SOWP just as you had done in the past. I do know people who have gotten around this by the spouse going into working in Fast Food as you can get a TWP and also nomination for those.

Gay
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:39 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Long time no hear
what i would do is take the 1yr work permit and get your PR application in

You can either go with been here 1yr working or if the employer will write a letter explaining they will give your OH a perm job if he gets PR then you are sorted.
PNP is not quicker, not sure where you got that info from, we submitted ours in july and still nothing back, so we opted to put in a SW application instead.

It totally sucks i know we are here working and have to join the same line up, but honestly you could be PR in the 6/12mths
Like BB just said one of the expats applied in may and only just received, so its no way quicker, as they now have to do the full PR route

Hope that helped
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys yeh sorry not been on here for a while got 2 kids now, been job hunting and trying to plan my wedding. Life is caos.

To answer some questions yes I was a financial advisor in UK and I do know I will have to sit the canadian equivalent qualifications.

As for applying for PR without AINP didn't think we would have enough points to get approved as he is a shunt driver and not a skilled worker.

Will have to look into that as I didn't think it was an option. We were looking at me getting a job and applying with myself as main applicant as I would have a better NOC code.

Really don't know what to do at the moment.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:02 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

1. According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:

* you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
* you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
* you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience* in one or more of the occupations listed here.

They changed the goal posts in febuary this year, if you have one years work experience and you are a foreign national

If you want to explore the idea of fin/advisor then i have a contact who i can pass over to you, she maybe able to help you in the right direct and you never know a job in the future
She looks after a team of people all around alberta. Just an idea

woooooo wedding well done
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Moondevil getting really excited about the wedding. I have picked my dream dress though having really tough time picking a location with 20 guests tops need somthing very intimate. Gonna call lethbridge Lodge see if we can get married in the courtyard instead of the function rooms.

But I don't know we want to do something different to make it merorable as it will be so small. We wanted to have a hot air balloon ride but they said as we are so close to the mountains that we need to take off at 7am. We wanted to get married then fly off and I don't fancy getting married at 5am so that idea has flown out the window.

Any other ideas you have are more than welcome.

Anyway back on topic thanks for the info on the PR that is amazing news. See what happens when you are to busy to keep in touch with people you miss out on great news.

Many thanks for everyones help.

Cheers Alli
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Just one question moondevil where did you get the quote from?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Just one question moondevil where did you get the quote from?
Ok found where you got the info from. Does anyone have any experience of this new rule.

(In order for your application to be eligible for processing, you must either:

•have an offer of arranged employment, OR
•be a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR )

Can we really apply for PR on this basis it seams a little to good to be true. Or am I just really sinicle.

Cheers Alli
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Canadian Experience Class.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Canadian Experience Class
If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.

Applying to stay in Canada permanently in your case is simple. You can do this under the Canadian Experience Class. All the guides, information and forms you need to apply are included here.

Before you apply, make sure you get to know the requirements and current application procedures. After you apply, make sure you return to this website to find out about the steps that follow.

You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

plan to live outside the province of Quebec

be either:

a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or quivalent) skilled work experience in Canada,
or
a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization

apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:

your work experience and
your ability in English or French.

Who can apply – Requirements for temporary workers
As a temporary foreign worker, you must have two years of full-time (or equivalent) work experience in Canada. Your work experience must be gained within three years of applying.

Full-time work experience means working at least 37.5 paid hours per week.

You would need to ensure that one of you meets the NOC requirements.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You would need to ensure that one of you meets the NOC requirements.
But I dont think that working as a shunt driver is a high enough skill level which is bad for Ali.

I seriously would go for AINP as I think that is the best way to qualify for you PR as if I remember correctly your OH's employer likes to put peeps through the PNP scheme.

Take what help you can from whoever to make sure that you reach your final goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.