Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP - can a South African do it quicker

TWP - can a South African do it quicker

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

evilsee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP - can a South African do it quicker

This is my situation as follows. I had another post earlier, but thought it would be better to put everything in one post. Hopefully there is a solution and this helps someone else in the future.
  1. I have a job offer, which I got this week.
  2. They still need to get an LMO, which they should get as they have been advertising for months, I'm not LMO exempt.
  3. The TWP processing time is listed as 4 months for Pretoria.
  4. I am a citizen of South Africa only.
  5. I believe South Africans need to submit a medical of they are to stay longer than 6 months.

Im concerned that my new employers rescinds the offer once they find out how long it could take to get my TWP. I would of hoped they were aware of this, but they weren't.

Are any of these possible or is there a better way to get my TWP quicker:
  1. Get a visitors visa (TRV) and applying in Canada?
  2. Applying in other country that has a shorter processing time than SA?
  3. Giving someone permission to represent me and to apply on my behalf either in Canada or another Country?
  4. Some way to go Canada and spend time doing training or orientation while my TWP is being processed in Canada?
  5. Apply at a POE - I was told in this my other post that I wont be able to do this as a South Africa
  6. Any other way?

I honestly have no issue traveling anywhere and as many time as needed to get this done and so that my new employers doesn't have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice and input.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP - can a South African do it quicker

Unfortunately, you have no other options if you cannot apply at POE, you can only apply via a country you are resident of or citizen of. So you will have to apply via your visa office in SA (Pretoria I think?).

Also, don't assume that the LMO will be granted just because the job's been advertised for a while, that doesn't mean anything at the moment I'm afraid.

When are your potential new bosses expecting you to start?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, you have no other options if you cannot apply at POE, you can only apply via a country you are resident of or citizen of. So you will have to apply via your visa office in SA (Pretoria I think?).

Also, don't assume that the LMO will be granted just because the job's been advertised for a while, that doesn't mean anything at the moment I'm afraid.

When are your potential new bosses expecting you to start?
Thanks christmasoompa, to be honest my start date has not been discussed, I just imagined it would be the beginning of august.

Last edited by evilsee; Jun 3rd 2011 at 8:15 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:54 am
Just Joined

I see there is a form to appoint a representative. It makes no references as to where the representative is based. Could I not appoint someone in Canada as my representative and have them apply there on my behalf?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:56 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by evilsee
I see there is a form to appoint a representative. It makes no references as to where the representative is based. Could I not appoint someone in Canada as my representative and have them apply there on my behalf?
You can appoint a representative, but s/he would still have to apply through Pretoria. It is where the applicant resides, not the representative that determines the office.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You can appoint a representative, but s/he would still have to apply through Pretoria. It is where the applicant resides, not the representative that determines the office.
thanks PPM, thats whats I eventually figured out.

I also found on another forum an application for a TWP that was sent to Pretoria in Feb this year and he got his TWP 10 weeks later, so hopefully they are processing a bit quicker that the 4 months the CIC website states.

Cheers