TWP at Buffalo

Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future
Default TWP at Buffalo

Can somebody tell me if it's possible to apply for my temporary work permit in Buffalo once I receive my LMO? Also how long is it taking down there at the moment?

Thanks.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:59 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP at Buffalo

i interpret your "down there" as "i'm in canada right now".
the regular way to apply for a wp when already being in canada would be an application for "change of status" to cic vegreville.
some people on here did the tour around the flagpole - they crossed the border and applied for their wp on return at poe.

tarik (the last of his posts i noticed in the pnp-timeline thread) sent his twp-application to buffalo quite a while ago. i'm not sure if s/he got it back yet.

i went down to cic seattle in person to get my new wp in march 2007 because i wasn't sure if i would be eligible for the poe route. i don't recommend doing that - it seems that they actually don't like this approach too much.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

Well my situation is a bit complicated at the moment. I've been in Toronto for a year on a TWP. Burt there was a mess up with my extension as I didn't realise I needed a new LMO. So now my permit has expired and I'm trying to work out the quickest route to getting a new TWP. I have a LMO application in at the moment. Am I correct in thinking that I could just leave at Niagara and apply for a new TWP upon re entry once I get my LMO? To apply for reinstatement would take 72 days, and I can't work during that period.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:27 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

if you have your paperwork complete and you are citizen of a visa waiver country, flagpoling / applying at poe is the fastest route to get a wp (take all supporting documents which you would send to vegreville with you... i'm aware that most people haven't been asked for proof of funds at poe, but i find it still the best approach to take that with you as well, better safe than sorry.).

have a look at the wikis "TWP: Where to apply" and "Trip around the flagpole"

good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

So sorry just to get this straight in my mind. I drive down to Niagara and cross the border, Fanny around in Niagara for an hour or so, Then drive back across the border and ask for a new TWP with all my documents and it'll be done and dusted that day?

BTW I was advised to leave and re-enter on a holiday visa before I get my LMO so that I have legal status in Canada. The only thing is I'm worried that they'll not let me back in and I thought you could stay for a little while even after your TWP expired.

What a hassle, the bank is already on to me because my SIN has expired, trying to ignore them at the moment.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:06 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

just to get that straight - you are british or from another visa waiver country? and your new wp has already been denied? can you provide exact dates, please?

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
So sorry just to get this straight in my mind. I drive down to Niagara and cross the border, Fanny around in Niagara for an hour or so, Then drive back across the border and ask for a new TWP with all my documents and it'll be done and dusted that day?
yep, there and then. some people turn straight around at the border but it seems that a real visit / shopping trip / weekend sightseeing / whatever to the us could spare you some hassle from the us side.

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
BTW I was advised to leave and re-enter on a holiday visa before I get my LMO so that I have legal status in Canada. The only thing is I'm worried that they'll not let me back in and I thought you could stay for a little while even after your TWP expired.
technically you are out of status as soon as you are over the date stated in your wp. (you had implied status as long as your application was processed but are meant to leave once a negative decision is made).
it's a personal choice between staying in canada illegally and the small risk not to be allowed back in. as long as you are able to convince the io at poe that you are able to support yourself while staying in canada and that you will leave once your visitor visa runs out that risk shouldn't be to high. having said that... the longer you wait with getting back your legal status the less likely it is that the io believes that you're going to leave... see where my thoughts are heading?

i feel i'm on really thin ice here - i'd prefer you to double-check with one of the experts here (andrew miller, jim humphries, pmm...) about the best way to proceed. it is even possible that you need a restoration of status first before you can apply for anything else, but that's beyond my layman's wisdom.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Yes I am British. My TWP expired on August 29th but I only got my letter telling me that my renewal was rejected on October 6th. MY LMO will probably be three weeks more, submitted on October 3rd. I think that it'd be a good idea for me to probably get a visitors asap. It's a good thing that I'm so close to the states.