Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP - Apply at home or from within Canada?

TWP - Apply at home or from within Canada?

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

evilsee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP - Apply at home or from within Canada?

Hi

According to the CIC website, the processing time here at home is 4 months for a TWP, but its only 45 days if applied for within Canada.

Can my new employer apply for the TWP on my behalf in Canada? Im not LMO exempt by the way, they already have the LMO for my position.

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP - Apply at home or from within Canada?

What visa office would you be applying under? It's currently 8-10 weeks at London.

But why not just apply at the airport if you are eligible? Or do you need a medical?

Your employer cannot apply for you, you must do it btw.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Can you not just get the TWP at the airport when you land? Thats what my OH did ... had job, LMO status approved, flew out, picked up TWP at airport on the way through - she was quicker through immigration that she would have been standing in the que with everyone else! I am flying out on Sunday, without the OH, and collecting my TWP as her significant other ... again, will just collect on way through airport ...
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Hi

Its for the South African office in Pretoria.

I read this on the wiki article "Provide a police clearance certificate (but police clearance certificates are not usually required of work permit applicants)." So do I need a police clearance or not, because it looks like it take 6-8 weeks to get police clearance here.

I dont need a medical, I will be doing IT related work, office bound.

Cant I just land in Canada with the LMO, job offer and my police clearance (if needed) and apply at the Airport? Wont I need to get the pre-approval letter from the CIC first ???

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furries View Post
Can you not just get the TWP at the airport when you land? Thats what my OH did ... had job, LMO status approved, flew out, picked up TWP at airport on the way through - she was quicker through immigration that she would have been standing in the que with everyone else! I am flying out on Sunday, without the OH, and collecting my TWP as her significant other ... again, will just collect on way through airport ...
@furries did your OH need the pre approval letter?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Not sure for SA as I am coming from the UK, but we have not needed anything - no police check, medical or letter from CIC ...
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by evilsee View Post
@furries did your OH need the pre approval letter?
No ... once she had the job offer, LMO status and a contract, she just arrived at TO airport and hey presto!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furries View Post
No ... once she had the job offer, LMO status and a contract, she just arrived at TO airport and hey presto!
Thanks, Im going to apply for my police clearance this weekend.

However on this cic page, it only mentions that the police clearance is needed permanent residence, no mention of a TWP.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:45 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

We got our TWP at Toronto. No police clearance needed. That was 2 years ago, but I dont think it has changed.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique View Post
We got our TWP at Toronto. No police clearance needed. That was 2 years ago, but I dont think it has changed.
Miss Clinique are you from SA or elsewhere?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

If the processing time is 8 - 10 weeks in the UK, could I fly to London, fly home and then go back to fetch it?

Is there any reason this cant happen?

thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If the processing time is 8 - 10 weeks in the UK, could I fly to London, fly home and then go back to fetch it?

Is there any reason this cant happen?

thanks
Are you a UK citizen? You wouldn't need to fly there to apply, could just do it via courier/post.

But your best bet is to apply at POE, sounds like you'd be eligible (that's if you are a UKC).
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Are you a UK citizen? You wouldn't need to fly there to apply, could just do it via courier/post.

But your best bet is to apply at POE, sounds like you'd be eligible (that's if you are a UKC).
HI

No, Im not a UK citizen, ok so scratch that idea.

Can a citizen of any country apply at a POE?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

HI

No, Im not a UK citizen, ok so scratch that idea.

Can a citizen of any country apply at a POE?
Assuming you are a South African Citizen, you can't apply at a Port of Entry as you require a TRV (Visitor visa) to enter Canada. So you will have to apply for the TWP at Pretoria.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:25 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Miss Clinique are you from SA or elsewhere?
UK. I dont know the rules for SA