Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP after PR status voluntarily given up?

TWP after PR status voluntarily given up?

Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default TWP after PR status voluntarily given up?

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm a German citizen.

Some background:

I voluntarily gave up my PR status in March of this year due to having been outside of Canada for longer than the allowed period.

My reason for leaving was to be closer to family for a while (sister had a baby, etc.) This meant leaving my line of work (3D artist in the video game development industry) as there is not much of a business for that type of thing in Germany.

I left the industry in January 2013 and took an unrelated job in Germany to pay the bills. During that time I kept on working on personal 3D projects to stay up to date on the latest technology and to not fall behind. I have worked in this business for about 8 years and am considered a Senior in my field.

Now I may get a job in games as a 3D artist in Ontario. The goal is to get a work permit and for my common-law spouse (Spanish citizen) to get an open work permit tied to mine. That being said, there seems to be some concern on the side of the company that my fairly complex immigration history would lead to my TWP getting refused.

I have read up on the latest changes to the TWP limitations, such as "48 months have passed since the applicant has accumulated 4 years of work/stay in Canada" and I don't see an issue with this as I have been outside since 01/2013.

My question is:
Is there a big chance for my TWP to be rejected based on the fact I gave up my PR status this year and have not been employed in my skilled line of work since 2013? Would those things negatively affect my chances in a major way?

If more info is needed I will try to provide it. I would really appreciate some advice on my situation.

Thanks!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP after PR status voluntarily given up?

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm a German citizen.

Some background:

I voluntarily gave up my PR status in March of this year due to having been outside of Canada for longer than the allowed period.

My reason for leaving was to be closer to family for a while (sister had a baby, etc.) This meant leaving my line of work (3D artist in the video game development industry) as there is not much of a business for that type of thing in Germany.

I left the industry in January 2013 and took an unrelated job in Germany to pay the bills. During that time I kept on working on personal 3D projects to stay up to date on the latest technology and to not fall behind. I have worked in this business for about 8 years and am considered a Senior in my field.

Now I may get a job in games as a 3D artist in Ontario. The goal is to get a work permit and for my common-law spouse (Spanish citizen) to get an open work permit tied to mine. That being said, there seems to be some concern on the side of the company that my fairly complex immigration history would lead to my TWP getting refused.

I have read up on the latest changes to the TWP limitations, such as "48 months have passed since the applicant has accumulated 4 years of work/stay in Canada" and I don't see an issue with this as I have been outside since 01/2013.

My question is:
Is there a big chance for my TWP to be rejected based on the fact I gave up my PR status this year and have not been employed in my skilled line of work since 2013? Would those things negatively affect my chances in a major way?

If more info is needed I will try to provide it. I would really appreciate some advice on my situation.

Thanks!
There should be no negative affects of having voluntarily relinquished PR status even if applying for a TWP with or without a LMIA. The 4 in 4 out rule is not applicable in your circumstances.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There should be no negative affects of having voluntarily relinquished PR status even if applying for a TWP with or without a LMIA. The 4 in 4 out rule is not applicable in your circumstances.
Thanks, phew thats good news. And the fact that I didnt work in the business since 2013? Would that be grounds for refusal in your opinion?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Thanks, phew thats good news. And the fact that I didnt work in the business since 2013? Would that be grounds for refusal in your opinion?
Providing you have not worked in Canada as a TFW (not PR) in the last 4 years then how could they refuse you over the 4 in 4 out rule?
Don't read too much into your situation. Apply and see if you get the TWP then take it from there.