TWP

Old Aug 29th 2015, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Didi72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP

Hello we in Canada landed on Wednesday! Me my husband and 2 boys aged 16&18 got to the immigration and lady was quiet harsh in asking the questions firstly how are we entering so husband is on LMIA so she was okay then got to the boys so 16 year old can go to school so she was quiet rude in regarding the 18 year old so why didn't we get a student permit for him so we said he is a dependent on us so she said what about study so we didn't know that he can't send him to school. So she made us sit for 3 hours finally called us over issued us our visas so now we have 16 year old can go to school but the 18 year old is on the 3 year visa like us but can't school or work unless authorised now what shall we do its quiet frustrating!!! Can anyone give some advise please!
Old Aug 29th 2015, 1:36 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP

Originally Posted by Didi72
Hello we in Canada landed on Wednesday! Me my husband and 2 boys aged 16&18 got to the immigration and lady was quiet harsh in asking the questions firstly how are we entering so husband is on LMIA so she was okay then got to the boys so 16 year old can go to school so she was quiet rude in regarding the 18 year old so why didn't we get a student permit for him so we said he is a dependent on us so she said what about study so we didn't know that he can't send him to school. So she made us sit for 3 hours finally called us over issued us our visas so now we have 16 year old can go to school but the 18 year old is on the 3 year visa like us but can't school or work unless authorised now what shall we do its quiet frustrating!!! Can anyone give some advise please!
I don't know really know much about the 18yr old status but to be honest it seems foolish in the extreme to pitch up in a county without checking what your son would do. No wonder she kept you for so long and was quite harsh.. I'm kind of shocked anyone would do that- what research did you do?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Didi72 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right with saying it would be Foolish to pitch up in a county without checking what my son would do. However, it would be great if anyone could give me advice verses criticism
Old Aug 29th 2015, 1:53 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

You are right with saying it would be Foolish to pitch up in a county without checking what my son would do. However, it would be great if anyone could give me advice verses criticism
I am sorry... I just find it unbelievable. However, is your son planning on going to University? The link that I found from immigration suggests that 19 and under cannot be classed as a dependent from August of last year...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2014-06-23.asp

I am sure FL will be along to give you some advice but I'm wondering whether your 18 yr old needs to look at staying in the country off his own back presumably after his visa expires but if can't maybe he will need to go home..

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 29th 2015 at 2:36 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Canada are you? I can only speak for Ontario. At 18 I presume your son will be going to university...if so I think he will need a study permit from an accredited uni...taking an accredited course. He will probably be classed as an international student and have to pay international student fees.

My daughter attended uni in Toronto as an international student for 5 years. That allowed her to work for 2 years after she finished her education...during this time she applied for PR. A similar route could be your son's chance to stay in Canada if the family decides to stay.

I'm sure someone will be along who can help you better than I.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2015 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the work permit valid for on the LMIA?
Will you be applying for PR status at a later date?
What is your 18 yr old planning on doing?

CIC changed the rule for dependent children age wise and its now under the age of19.
If he wishes to work then this is what CIC states

Can my dependent children work in Canada?

If your dependent children want to work in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same requirements that you do.

In most cases, your dependent children must apply for a work permit for a specific job. Their employer may have to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), a document an employer must usually get before they can hire a foreign worker) from Employment and Social Development Canada. An LMIA allows an employer to hire someone for a specific job.

In some cases, your dependent children will need a medical exam.

If he isn't planning on going to University or post secondary then once he turns 19 he is on his own and no longer classed as a dependant child UNLESS

In all cases, a child will continue to be considered a dependant, regardless of age, if they have depended on their parents for financial support because of a mental or physical condition.
If applying for PR status you need to have the application submitted before he turns 19 to lock in the age.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You've already been given the correct info from everybody above, unfortunately as you've now found out, an 18 year old can't work on a dependents visa. For the sake of anybody else reading, this is covered in the Wiki - Work Permit Complications-Canada : British Expat Wiki Your son will need a study permit to attend university.

And on the CIC website, this section covers it - Can my dependent children work in Canada?

I'm hoping that you know that your son won't be considered a dependent child when he turns 19? So if you want to apply for PR and for him to get it as well, you'll need to hurry up and apply so he doesn't 'age out'. When is his birthday?