British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   TWP @ POE today!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/twp-%40-poe-today-627340/)

snowboardboy Aug 25th 2009 12:04 am

TWP @ POE today!!

Just got home from Pearson today after flying in from NYC (3 day mini break) AND myself and my common law partner just got our new TWP visas woo hoo! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

kleinluka Aug 26th 2009 5:19 am

Re: TWP @ POE today!!

Originally Posted by Loki117 (Post 7872228)
Just got home from Pearson today after flying in from NYC (3 day mini break) AND myself and my common law partner just got our new TWP visas woo hoo! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

congrats!! :)

christmasoompa Aug 26th 2009 6:38 am

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Miss Clinique Aug 26th 2009 12:02 pm

:thumbsup: Congratulations :thumbsup:

sioux Aug 26th 2009 7:59 pm

woop woop:thumbsup:

snowboardboy Aug 26th 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks guys I am going to write a full blow by blow tonight because it wasn't simple at all I had some stuff missing which would have made my life easier will let everyone know tonight.

jasmoto Oct 16th 2009 12:50 am

Hi Loki 117!

Belated Congratulations!!!
Now where is this detailed report of yours :-)
Just found a job and they are putting the LMO togehter. Have been in T.O. since beginning of August and am looking to do a flagpole drive/flight as soon as the LMO comes through positive, so any advise and help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

snowboardboy Oct 16th 2009 1:33 am

I feel like the kid who forgot his homework :)

Ok so my situation was a little different from yours in that I didn't have an LMO so slightly more stress on my side.

Anyway I went down to NYC for a long weekend on my way back in I brought a LOAD of paperwork to help me get through the process.

When I arrive at immigration the agent was very stern I was asked what I was looking for I explained I was trying to get a TWP for a company which had offered me a role as "Software products developer" an LMO exempt position with national confirmation.

The agent remained stern as he asked why I was trying to get a new visa when I already had 4 months left on my old one and why I was doing it at port of entry as aposed to sending it in. I explained that my employer was worried that there could be a problem and that with a 3 month wait for a sent away application I could end up with no time to sort out any problems. Eventually he agreed after sending me away and shouting me back just as I was about out the door. He agreed to review my papers and see if I was eligible.

He sifted through a number of my documents noting that I did not have a letter from my previous employer in the UK to prove my 4 years of required experience. I provided a few pay slips, my resume and a letter from a previous co-worker detailing my time at that employer. He was satisfied that this proved my experience. Note he did not need or want a police check.

He then went on to qualify my common law partner as such (proof we had been together 2 years). This is not easy you must provide letters dated longer than the period also rental agreements and joint bank accounts go a long way to convincing further to this we where also able to provide a declaration of common law that myself and my girlfriend had signed in Toronto. A small sticking point arose with this in that when I had applied for my previous visa (1 year prior) I had said I was "single" to me this was the only option if I wasn't married (I didnt understand the importance of common law before this) I admitted I was an idiot and didn't know the term common law prior to this process and he nodded and let it slide.

With those out the way it was a question of how long he would issue the visa for. He decided that due to the fact my offer letter had no expected termination date on it that he could only offer me a 1 year visa. Had my employer made the contract timed for 3 years he could have offered me a 3 year visa (the maximum term).

and that was that! He issues my visa and my girlfriends. Mine is tied to my employer her's is open. We paid the $250 and went on our merry way!

My advice is respect the agents they have a tough job and need to try and trip people to work out who is genuine and who is not. I was polite and had brought everything I could to aid the process. They seem to appreciated that. Anyway I am sure you will be fine the fact your will have LMO confirmation works very much in your favour. :thumbsup:

Best of luck and let us know about your success on the way back in.

Originally Posted by jasmoto (Post 8020258)
Hi Loki 117!

Belated Congratulations!!!
Now where is this detailed report of yours :-)
Just found a job and they are putting the LMO togehter. Have been in T.O. since beginning of August and am looking to do a flagpole drive/flight as soon as the LMO comes through positive, so any advise and help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Coffeepot Oct 16th 2009 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Loki117 (Post 8020311)
I feel like the kid who forgot his homework :)

Ok so my situation was a little different from yours in that I didn't have an LMO so slightly more stress on my side.

Anyway I went down to NYC for a long weekend on my way back in I brought a LOAD of paperwork to help me get through the process.

When I arrive at immigration the agent was very stern I was asked what I was looking for I explained I was trying to get a TWP for a company which had offered me a role as "Software products developer" an LMO exempt position with national confirmation.

The agent remained stern as he asked why I was trying to get a new visa when I already had 4 months left on my old one and why I was doing it at port of entry as aposed to sending it in. I explained that my employer was worried that there could be a problem and that with a 3 month wait for a sent away application I could end up with no time to sort out any problems. Eventually he agreed after sending me away and shouting me back just as I was about out the door. He agreed to review my papers and see if I was eligible.

He sifted through a number of my documents noting that I did not have a letter from my previous employer in the UK to prove my 4 years of required experience. I provided a few pay slips, my resume and a letter from a previous co-worker detailing my time at that employer. He was satisfied that this proved my experience. Note he did not need or want a police check.

He then went on to qualify my common law partner as such (proof we had been together 2 years). This is not easy you must provide letters dated longer than the period also rental agreements and joint bank accounts go a long way to convincing further to this we where also able to provide a declaration of common law that myself and my girlfriend had signed in Toronto. A small sticking point arose with this in that when I had applied for my previous visa (1 year prior) I had said I was "single" to me this was the only option if I wasn't married (I didnt understand the importance of common law before this) I admitted I was an idiot and didn't know the term common law prior to this process and he nodded and let it slide.

With those out the way it was a question of how long he would issue the visa for. He decided that due to the fact my offer letter had no expected termination date on it that he could only offer me a 1 year visa. Had my employer made the contract timed for 3 years he could have offered me a 3 year visa (the maximum term).

and that was that! He issues my visa and my girlfriends. Mine is tied to my employer her's is open. We paid the $250 and went on our merry way!

My advice is respect the agents they have a tough job and need to try and trip people to work out who is genuine and who is not. I was polite and had brought everything I could to aid the process. They seem to appreciated that. Anyway I am sure you will be fine the fact your will have LMO confirmation works very much in your favour. :thumbsup:

Best of luck and let us know about your success on the way back in.

Interested to read this post as we will probably go down this route as we still haven't recieved our update letter yet :(
OH is LMO exempt as well, did you have to provide info from CIC web site as to the code etc

congratulations on getting WP :thumbsup:

christmasoompa Oct 16th 2009 9:02 am

Congrats! :thumbsup:

And thanks for the detailed post which should help a lot of people.

jasmoto Oct 16th 2009 11:47 am

Great, thank you for all the info! Let's hope the LMO comes back postive!