Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP @ POE - Goods to Follow OR NOT?

TWP @ POE - Goods to Follow OR NOT?

Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

nathanm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP @ POE - Goods to Follow OR NOT?

Hi,

Has anyone recently applied for TWP at POE & been asked to complete Form B4 E, Personal Effects Accounting Document & a list of goods accompanying.

The reason for my question is that I am planning to apply for my TWP at POE (NS) at the beginning of March so that i can then return & serve my notice to my current employer in the uk - this will potentially save me 8- 10wks on current London process times & enable me to start with my new employer in July.

Having read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_...s_and_Students it quotes 'that temporary work permit holders and students who are entering Canada for less than three years do not have to lodge a detailed list of goods they are importing into Canada, as new settlers (permanent residents) have to do.

However, reports on the British Expats forum indicate that the rules are applied differently by different customs officers at different ports of entry.

Some temporary work permit holders entering Canada have found that they have been asked to complete Form B4 E, Personal Effects Accounting Document at their ports of entry'

I just want to get it right & any clarity on whether these forms are required for TWP applicants would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP @ POE - Goods to Follow OR NOT?

Legally there is no requirement for you to fill out a B4 or B4A as you are not considered in one of the classes that form was designed for.
They have or not have you fill one out to make life easier when GTF arrive at a later date and to see if goods are required. People here on 6 month work permits really shouldnt be sending a 20 or 40 foot container full of GTF whereas people on a 3 year work permit would.
Most people arrive at different ports than the GTF do so by having the form stamped by CBSA at one port shows that the goods have been reported.
The officers have discretion in if they need you to fill one out.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/f...res/b4-eng.pdf
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/f...laires/b4a.pdf
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

nathanm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Legally there is no requirement for you to fill out a B4 or B4A as you are not considered in one of the classes that form was designed for.
They have or not have you fill one out to make life easier when GTF arrive at a later date and to see if goods are required. People here on 6 month work permits really shouldnt be sending a 20 or 40 foot container full of GTF whereas people on a 3 year work permit would.
Most people arrive at different ports than the GTF do so by having the form stamped by CBSA at one port shows that the goods have been reported.
The officers have discretion in if they need you to fill one out.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/f...res/b4-eng.pdf
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/f...laires/b4a.pdf
Am I correct in thinking that you believe it prudent to have GTF form with you when applying at POE albeit its not a legal requirement.

PS - The LMO is for 2 years so i'm assuming the TWP will be for the same period?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would have a GTF list to show to Customs for clearing those goods at a later date. TWP would be for 2 years unless the LMO was for 2 years and you waited 12 months to get to Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:08 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Personally I would have a GTF list to show to Customs for clearing those goods at a later date. TWP would be for 2 years unless the LMO was for 2 years and you waited 12 months to get to Canada.
I know you are an expert, FL but this doesn't match our experience.
The LMO is dated for both activation and also for duration.

The date by which you have to activate the LMO by applying for a TWP is usually 6 months, so it wouldn't be possible for the OP to get his LMO and then wait 12 months before applying for the TWP.

In our experience, the TWP runs from the date the LMO is activated, so it doesn't matter how long of the 6 month activation period you wait before entering Canada, the TWP is for the same duration as the LMO (in our case 1 year) and runs from the date you cross into Canada.
It isn't backdated to the date the LMO was issued.

As for GTF, we didn't fill one in when OH arrived with his LMO to get his TWP and he wasn't asked.
At that point with only a year on the TWP we were not planning on sending anything anyway.
Once his LMO was renewed and he got 3 years on it and the TWP, we packed up and sent a 20 footer.

All we needed to collect that was the packing/contents list we made for insurance purposes, passport and his work permit.

Of course, when we "landed" last week officially as PR, we had no goods to follow, them all being here already, so there was nothing paperwork there either.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are quite correct but there are always the odd scenarios that crop up.
This is the official stance as per FW Manual

Note: As of May 19, 2009, HRSDC established a maximum six-month LMO validity period (period during which an LMO may be used to apply for a work permit). HRSDC will also no longer be granting LMO extensions; instead, a new LMO application will be required in every case.

Section 6 of this manual fully explains it
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf