Turning work visa into PR

Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:10 am
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future
Question Turning work visa into PR

Hi all,
I know it's been a LONG time since I was last here...... Sept 30th last year....time flys.
I'm now in Winnipeg as I planned and Working in a fabulous job as a Machinist... I have a three year work visa and now over one year on from it's start, would like to turn it into a PR. My common law partner and our beautiful son are just the icing on a wonderful cake, that is Being here and living my dream.
I've started to compile a huge list of forms that seem to be the right ones to get this PR, it all just seems to be a little muddy.... can anyone help?
I have been helped so much in the past I wanted to see if the "experts" could pull another factual rabbit out of the hat.
Please help.
Daniel.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turning work visa into PR

Originally Posted by DanielH
Hi all,
I know it's been a LONG time since I was last here...... Sept 30th last year....time flys.
I'm now in Winnipeg as I planned and Working in a fabulous job as a Machinist... I have a three year work visa and now over one year on from it's start, would like to turn it into a PR. My common law partner and our beautiful son are just the icing on a wonderful cake, that is Being here and living my dream.
I've started to compile a huge list of forms that seem to be the right ones to get this PR, it all just seems to be a little muddy.... can anyone help?
I have been helped so much in the past I wanted to see if the "experts" could pull another factual rabbit out of the hat.
Please help.
Daniel.
Hi Daniel

Maybe peeps would help if they knew what exactly you needed help with

Gaynor
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:30 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

If your employer will make an offer to employ you on a permanent basis should you gain PR, you can gain points for arranged employment. This will have the effect of fast-tracking your PR application if you submit it to London - should get through in about 6 months if all goes well.

Your other option is to submit your application to Buffalo through the regular application process. Fast-tracking isn't available here, but you don't need the offer of permanent employment. Should take about two years.

Do a few searches and read up on other threads here. Check the wiki out. There's plenty of information to be found.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Haze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DanielH
I'm now in Winnipeg as I planned and Working in a fabulous job as a Machinist...

Glad it's working out for you Daniel, just one question, as a fellow machinist, any jobs at your place??
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

kosh is an unknown quantity at this point

If he`s been living with his common-law partner for a year, why can`t he apply inland as family class sponsorship? I`m assuming your partner is Canadian, thus she could sponsor you? No worrying about points etc.

You have legal status ie, your work permit, you`ve been together a year which is the criteria for common-law partner. I mean, you`ve got two years left on your work permit, lots of time while the application is being processed at Vegreville. Our inland application took about seven-eight months to complete. At least you can continue working while you`re waiting (at least I guess you can), which is something many inland applications cannot do.

I`m a machinist too, more of a CNC programmer/setter lately! Seems to be headed that way.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:09 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't realise that, but from this post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348785

I can see that it is the case.