In turmoil!!!!

Old Dec 22nd 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice
Default Re: In turmoil!!!!

Originally Posted by NBJW
Let me clear this situation now, so here goes,

Education 22 pionts
Language ability 18 points
Work experience 21 points
Age 10 points
Arranged employment 10 points
Adaptability 10 points

In my maths that all adds up to a total of 91.

What is up with most of you people? I simply ask for a little help and I mostly recieve critiscm or negative vibes!!!

Anyway thanks to all that helped myself.

I hope all works out for everyone who deserves it.

Nigel Wilding.
Hi NBJW

I'm not sure you're being criticized, more that folk are debating the best way to go about things with you.

I have always found the people on here a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

Whilst a competent paperwork doer, both with Masters degrees, my husband & I opted for an emigration expert and can't remember the exact costs but have paid somewhere in the region of £1.5k.

Whilst the DIY option is clearly supported by lots of people, hubby & I took the expert route so that we could be confident that our file was prepared properly, had someone available to help us with questions - we hadn't found this site at the time - and generally the peace of mind element.

It was too important to us to put ourselves in a ppositionwhere our application could be messed up because I put a wrong answer/date in the form etc and so we were happy to make the investment in our future.

We could have chosen to save the money though....

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Kelly

Last edited by shahzadandkelly; Dec 22nd 2007 at 7:36 pm. Reason: sp
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:12 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I'm here, I should point out that if you're claiming points for proficiency in French you'll be asked to provide evidence of this. Simply having a GCSE or A level is unlikely to satisfy an immigration officer. So if you've get plenty of points - which you probably have - then don't bother.

More info here:

http://www.fda.ccip.fr/

Last edited by bazzz; Dec 23rd 2007 at 6:15 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Whilst I'm here, I should point out that if you're claiming points for proficiency in French you'll be asked to provide evidence of this. Simply having a GCSE or A level is unlikely to satisfy an immigration officer. So if you've get plenty of points - which you probably have - then don't bother.

More info here:

http://www.fda.ccip.fr/
And English too if its not your first language.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishmummy
Here's a new thought for you - if you are getting a job and work permit and moving out here then why not apply for the Provincial Nominee Program and then PR. You don't have to go through the points system at all. The Nominee Program forms are long but straight forward - they really just want to see that you have skills they want, a job and a commitment to the province. We applied once we had moved over and it took 6 weeks to be approved. Then when you apply to London you just have to do the background checks, police clearance certs etc and its much simpler.

As for the immigration lawyers - I don't understand why anyone would use them unless as someone else said you have a complicated situation. The process is gathering lots of paperwork and filling forms in religiously. Main hassle is you can't save them so its time consuming. But save your money for when you get here and do it yourself. If you use the lawyers you still have to gather all the paperwork yourselves. Good luck and Merry Christmas from snowy NS!
Hi there,
I am fairly new to this website and am getting more confused by the minute. Myself and my family want to move to Nova Scotia. At present I am having my profession verified so that I can sit the Nursing exam in NS, then I am intending to search for a job before applying to the NS sponsorship programme. I hear lots of people talk about going to Canada and applying from there. How does that work with my family? Can they come with me on a work permit? What are the time lines when applying through NSNP? What did you do? Ideally I would like to be in Canada before the end of the year, but it seems like there is so much paperwork to have processed, that it will be impossible.
My second question - we are hoping to come over early in the New Year for a reconnaisonse (forgive spelling) trip. How early would you advise, regarding getting about, snow, etc... We were hoping March sometime.
I hope you can help
Linda
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Hammerhead786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NBJW
Let me clear this situation now, so here goes,

Education 22 pionts
Language ability 18 points
Work experience 21 points
Age 10 points
Arranged employment 10 points
Adaptability 10 points

In my maths that all adds up to a total of 91.

What is up with most of you people? I simply ask for a little help and I mostly recieve critiscm or negative vibes!!!

Anyway thanks to all that helped myself.

I hope all works out for everyone who deserves it.

Nigel Wilding.
Hi Nigel,

I think what folks are trying say is that it doesn't matter what points anyone thinks they have, it's the officer that deals with your/their case who will decide what points you/they have. If you think you have more than the required number of points, just get your application in and carry on with life.

When I applied, I did it myself and not through a consultant. I read and reread the forms until my head hurt. I then collated all the information that I thought I'd need (took about 4 months), completed the forms and then checked them, got the wife to check them and then checked them again before I finally sent them off. All the time I was worrying that I may not have enough points even though when I did the test I was coming out with enough points.

I apologise if it sounds as though I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, I'm not. This process is stressful enough without making it unneccessarily stressful before you even start. I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,
H
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Forget all about the points and come to Nova Scotia on the Nominee Program Community Identified stream - only goodness, enough cash to live on and commitment to NS required! It's fast, straightforward (in straightforward cases as usual),, tey've removed numbers restrictions and free to apply.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Shinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really nice

Indeed, 67 points is a guideline....

Like the CIC site says you can get more than 67 points and be rejected, score less than 67 points and still be accepted (!?) Every, single case is unique.

Seeing as the gent has plenty of skilled trade experience, no criminal record, plenty of equity etc etc... I personally cannot see a problem.... except the waiting time. The only thing I couldn't do is sit around for years waiting and waiting on independent immigration. Especially in this current climate.

As for a consultant, everything you need to know is on the CIC website and there are PLENTY of websites and forums like this one if you really need help. People have been through all of this on their own before and it really is just collecting paperwork, organizing and filling out forms.

It depends which you value more... your time or your money? $6400 is a bit on the steep side though??? This isn't some "more you pay, the quicker you're processed" sort of deal by the way. There's only so many things you can actually do to guarantee you will be processed in THE quickest way possible.

1. Fill out the forms in as MUCH detail as humanly possible. Use extra sheets if you need to!
2. Organize the forms in the order as listed on the document checklist that is applicable to your immigration class.
3. Pay ALL fees, in FULL when applying.
4. Do ALL medicals before you apply and include these with your initial application.
5. Send forms to the correct embassy/office for your immigration class.

Beyond the above, there really isn't anything a private firm can do for you to speed things up (unless they have a few deepthroats and regularly break the law!) =)

Best of luck!!!!

Shinkansen
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

I used an immigration company at first for points only - then when they said £10,000 - My head started spinning when I realised what I could spend the money on so decided to do it myself!

I sent my OH's CV to a few companies, recieved a reply the next day, they offered him the job after 4 days, paid for us to visit them and then paid for professionals to deal with our PNP application.

We went via the PNPBC route - paperwork sent to them on 29th November 07 received the Confirmation of Acceptance letter on 17th December 07. Still trying to get over how quick they were in their reply.

Very little paperwork needed other than background information, police check & medicals are the only paperwork required.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

When I began research, I saw fees of about $1500-$2000. I wonder if those higher legal fees quoted in earlier posts actually include the immigration fees as well?

Being in a supposedly straightforward situation, sponsored by Canadian wife, with a PR turnaround time of 6 months we did all our stuff ourselves.

We regret that.

There was a small technicality that we actually drew to the attention of the CIC. We expected common sense. We didn't get it. They admitted the error but did nothing to correct the situation. Consequently the whole process had to be repeated with loss of some of the original fees. The second application also took much longer than the original and the medical expired. So there were two sets of immigration fees and two medical fees.

Those additional fees, duplicate photos, duplicate 'police cert' etc cost an unnecessary $1000. That would have been avoided had we used the lawyers. It was still cheaper on our own, but it all took 3 years instead of 6 months.

Being without a Social Insurance Number (SIN) - no permanent residency yet -(other bureaucratic inefficiencies) also created enormous problems with Canada Revenue who, even though they had full declaration of us as a married couple and our incomes, decided to suspend my wife's 'child benefit' payments.

That took 6 months to resolve. Luckily I had capital to fall back on.

I was refused bank accounts because of no SIN. That meant I couldn't build a credit record.

Had I needed to work, the lack of a SIN would have been a major headache.

So, even with our straightforward situation, we would have used the lawyers knowing what we now know.

Oh....and do not rely 100% on the CIC website. It is riddled with contradictions.

Just as an example there's part where it says you do not need to apply for a refund of fees (where withdrawing an application) but then it goes on to say how long it takes after you apply for it.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 2nd 2008 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Shinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When I began research, I saw fees of about $1500-$2000. I wonder if those higher legal fees quoted in earlier posts actually include the immigration fees as well?

Being in a supposedly straightforward situation, sponsored by Canadian wife, with a PR turnaround time of 6 months we did all our stuff ourselves.

We regret that.

There was a small technicality that we actually drew to the attention of the CIC. We expected common sense. We didn't get it. They admitted the error but did nothing to correct the situation. Consequently the whole process had to be repeated with loss of some of the original fees. The second application also took much longer than the original and the medical expired. So there were two sets of immigration fees and two medical fees.

Those additional fees, duplicate photos, duplicate 'police cert' etc cost an unnecessary $1000. That would have been avoided had we used the lawyers. It was still cheaper on our own, but it all took 3 years instead of 6 months.

Being without a Social Insurance Number (SIN) - no permanent residency yet -(other bureaucratic inefficiencies) also created enormous problems with Canada Revenue who, even though they had full declaration of us as a married couple and our incomes, decided to suspend my wife's 'child benefit' payments.

That took 6 months to resolve. Luckily I had capital to fall back on.

I was refused bank accounts because of no SIN. That meant I couldn't build a credit record.

Had I needed to work, the lack of a SIN would have been a major headache.

So, even with our straightforward situation, we would have used the lawyers knowing what we now know.

Oh....and do not rely 100% on the CIC website. It is riddled with contradictions.

Just as an example there's part where it says you do not need to apply for a refund of fees (where withdrawing an application) but then it goes on to say how long it takes after you apply for it.
What was the "small technicality" if you don't mind me asking?

I too am sick of the contradictions and lack of updated/outdated links.

You can apply to your home embassy whilst remaining in Canada with such a straightforward case. This gives you a right of appeal and maybe would have not required a second payment of fees if CIC admitted fault? It's also MUCH quicker for spousal sponsorship.

Shinkansen
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shinkansen
What was the "small technicality" if you don't mind me asking?

I too am sick of the contradictions and lack of updated/outdated links.
My wife was working part time and receiving some Social Assistance (SA) due to the failure of the authorities to enforce child support from her ex. When I moved to Canada, the SA office was fully informed and actually told her to continue with her claim until I'd been given PR.

Obviously we knew that a sponsor could not be receiving SA - but surely one doesn't become a sponsor at the time of an application. One is an applicant until the application is accepted. That was our thought process. After all, one can apply for a loan but one doesn't become a borrower until one has borrowed...or at least agreed repayment schedules. State Pension can be applied for in advance of pension age but one still isn't a pensioner until pension age.

The official Guidance referred to the person sponsoring having to agree various commitments - yet to be notified - hence this reasoning that the status of 'sponsor' would come later.

So, on the sponsorship forms, we specifically stated she was receiving SA but that it was arranged to stop the moment a sponsorship agreement was to be made.

We thought they would
  • Give a provisional acceptance of sponsorship pending cessation of the SA, or
  • Hold the application until SA had been cancelled, or
  • Return the application telling us to resubmit when SA had been cancelled.

A month later they wrote to say sponsorship was refused because of the SA - by which time we had cancelled it anyway. I asked them to review the decision based on this and they said they couldn't. They said they had to go on circumstances at the date of the application and to reapply if therre was a change.

We applied again and they then said we couldn't reapply as the decision was still outstanding. Yes, that's right.

It all snowballed from there and we took legal advice. We were told an appeal would take years and that it was better to make a new application.

By then, having written various letters to all and sundry about the situation, the CIC wrote apologising for their error. They said they should have told us that hands were tied, there was no flexibility and that we should have been given the option to withdraw the sponsorship application and do it again with the SA having been cancelled.

We then got a letter from the PR office asking us for proof the SA had been cancelled. We sent that. Next came a letter asking for a 'police certificate' and I sent that. It all looked as if it was progressing logically. Why would the PR office ask for such things if none of it mattered?

Eventually PR was refused because they were sticking with the circumstances on the day the sponsorship form was signed.

I think the whole thing is a disgrace. They've admitted an error which would obviously have led us to have withdrawn and reapplied. All the time they knew the application was doomed, yet they insisted on me sending a medical report (incurring those fees too) and providing the police cert, fingerprinting/cert from the RCMP etc etc.

We made a second application, referring to the first and asking that common sense be applied, suggesting they could ease their backlog by revising the original application. None of it did any good, everything went through as if it was a first time thing.

PR came through nearly two and a half years after it should have and it cost about $1000 more than it should have. This is the short(ish) version.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Wow, I can only imagine.... sorry to hear you had all that ridiculous trouble!

Isn't there a time limit or something? I remember reading about eligibility to sponsor depends on the length of time since last claiming? I looked into the UK benefits and immigration and I couldn't find ANY mention of claiming benefits affecting your eligibility to sponsor family members for immigration. Ah! You can't be claiming anything to support your sponsored spouse in the UK. Just found it. Seems the UK is a little easier to get into.... *sigh*

Shinkansen
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:18 am
Oscar nominated

Funny you should say that about the UK. I used to work for the DSS and was often dealing with immigration issues and benefits.

Sponsors were not supposed to be receiving benefits themselves...except I came across many who were!!

There was a time limit for the UK but I forget what it was. For Canada it was simply not being on SA - no time limit mentioned.

Know what is especially annoying? The person my wife saw at the SA office when cancelling said although it was perfectly in order for the SA to continue, she knew it would mean sponsorship would be refused. Had this person been the one my wife saw originally, she'd have said that at that time and the SA would have been cancelled before the sponsorship application was made.

Now I know it's not for the SA office to get involved in immigration issues, but there was expertise/crossover knowledge there (just like I had in England) and it wasn't put to good use. There should have been a referral to that person (or someone with similar crossover knowledge) the moment my wife mentioned SA/Sponsorship/Immigration on her first visit to the SA office.

Aside from the inefficiencies in CIC, just seeing a different individual in the SA office would have made an enormous difference.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shinkansen

1. Fill out the forms in as MUCH detail as humanly possible. Use extra sheets if you need to!
2. Organize the forms in the order as listed on the document checklist that is applicable to your immigration class.
3. Pay ALL fees, in FULL when applying.
4. Do ALL medicals before you apply and include these with your initial application.
5. Send forms to the correct embassy/office for your immigration class.
i just wanted to point out that i believe that the original thread was about skilled worker category to which point four of your in otherwise very helpful list doesn't apply. the applicant should wait for the medical request in that case to avoid complications with pr visa validity and the like.

reading more of your posts i guess you came over through family class - in which case point four makes sense.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Yup. I felt the original question was answered pretty well! It then progressed onto "Why use a lawyer/consultant".