Trying to get Mother over here

Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to get Mother over here

[QUOTE=justie;9843415]
Originally Posted by Happydayz
Hi there wondering if anyone knows where I should start, My Mother and Farther emigrated to Canada in 1963, long story short My mother never took her citizenship, and when my Dad passed he was living in montreal , but Mum was in the UK due to ill health, now she is there one her own, all her daughters live here in Canada, we want to have her live with us as she is getting older and travel is less easy for her, but would she have to start again with a pr application? or does she have any entitlements from either my father (a citizen of Canada) could she claim a pension over here? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.[/Q

I believe your mother would be able to claim her british pension over there. I think a little trip across the border every 6 months might be an option!! Its just that medical insurance you'd need.
I thought about the trip over the boarder but it doesn't work. You can only be in Canada 6 months in any 12.
I agree it's the medical insurance which is the problem. My Mum has been here 4 months now as a visitor and had a stroke in October. Luckily it was quite minor as we are still waiting for the insurance company to decide whether to pay or not.
that's what scares me about her staying longer as unless you know you have insurance that would definitely cover you and pay out rapidly you could face bankruptcy!!
Which is why, short term certainly, Mum is going back to the UK to get treated and an "MOT" before coming back hopefully more permanently next winter...with adequate insurance!