British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Trying to get Mother over here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/trying-get-mother-over-here-744406/)

Happydayz Jan 9th 2012 11:22 pm

Trying to get Mother over here

Hi there wondering if anyone knows where I should start, My Mother and Farther emigrated to Canada in 1963, long story short My mother never took her citizenship, and when my Dad passed he was living in montreal , but Mum was in the UK due to ill health, now she is there one her own, all her daughters live here in Canada, we want to have her live with us as she is getting older and travel is less easy for her, but would she have to start again with a pr application? or does she have any entitlements from either my father (a citizen of Canada) could she claim a pension over here? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Aviator Jan 9th 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Trying to get Mother over here

Originally Posted by Happydayz (Post 9831530)
Hi there wondering if anyone knows where I should start, My Mother and Farther emigrated to Canada in 1963, long story short My mother never took her citizenship, and when my Dad passed he was living in montreal , but Mum was in the UK due to ill health, now she is there one her own, all her daughters live here in Canada, we want to have her live with us as she is getting older and travel is less easy for her, but would she have to start again with a pr application? or does she have any entitlements from either my father (a citizen of Canada) could she claim a pension over here? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Pension depends what she contributed and how long she lived in Canada. If she lost PR by not meeting residency requirements, therefore no longer legally entitled to live in Canada, I would guess no she cannot get a pension here. She would also have to start over PR application and you as a sponsor. However, currently family sponsorship applications are suspended (they were taking many years anyway). There is a Parental Supervisa, valid for 2 years as a visitor. She would however not be entitled to Canadian healthcare, she would have to carry her own private medical insurance which must be obtained from a Canadian company. She may do well to carry travel insurance from the UK as well, as many visitor policies in Canada don't have a very high coverage.

If she has ill health, pre-existing conditions may be an issue for the insurer, although some do cover these, but cost more. Also depends on her age.

Happydayz Jan 10th 2012 12:15 am

Thanks for the info.

DandNHill Jan 10th 2012 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Happydayz (Post 9831601)
Thanks for the info.

How old is she? I have a similar situation with my Mum and Bluecross only cover up to 79. The helpful man I contacted there mentioned another company who should be able to help - my Mum is 83 - and I'm just waiting to hear back. If it's relevant I'll get you the details? :)

Happydayz Jan 10th 2012 2:21 am

Shes 80, she has a state pension in the uk, Dad had a pension here, I don't think the supervisa applies to her, she is British, and i think i read that is not a requirement when coming from the UK, she is in good health now, but her age would mean she would not be able to get cover, she has tried and they wont insure her when she travels as she has turned 80. If you get any help with that company you called DandNHILL I would be grateful for the details! Hey, Ive just noticed we are in the same neck of the woods... sort of! :)

Aviator Jan 10th 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Happydayz (Post 9831805)
Shes 80, she has a state pension in the uk, Dad had a pension here, I don't think the supervisa applies to her, she is British, and i think i read that is not a requirement when coming from the UK, she is in good health now, but her age would mean she would not be able to get cover, she has tried and they wont insure her when she travels as she has turned 80. If you get any help with that company you called DandNHILL I would be grateful for the details! Hey, Ive just noticed we are in the same neck of the woods... sort of! :)

A regular visitor entry is up to a max of 6 months then you have to leave, British or not. The Super Visa is for two years, parents and grandparents only, this also applies to British citizens.

DandNHill Jan 10th 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happydayz (Post 9831805)

Not only sort of in the same place but I came from just outside Worthing!!! I'll let you know when I hear something...

leavingcanada Jan 12th 2012 1:54 am

read this..its the latest and might prove of use.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...nsor/index.asp

happy hatter Jan 13th 2012 12:18 am

A couple of related questions for the wise owls:

If my parents came here on the parent super visa would they still be able to apply for a work permit providing they had a job offer which met all the usual criteria for a TFWP. I'm assuming the parent super visa would no longer be valid if they started working but would this apply to both parents? My parents are 54 (Dad) and 59 (Mom) and while my Mom has no intention to work, Dad still has plenty of work left in him. If Dad gets a work permit as a TFW does Mom lose her right (if granted) to the super visa? Also can Dad apply for a TFWP while he is in Canada or would he have to leave the country?

Regarding the Health insurance has anyone received a quote as a ball park figure.

Thanks to you all.

HH

Former Lancastrian Jan 13th 2012 12:29 am

Basically No to working
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/arriving.asp

Novocastrian Jan 13th 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 9839219)

Now I'll admit to not having read your link, but the question wasn't "Can you work on a Supervisa?". but rather "Can you seek an employer who is willing to apply for, and is successful in obtaining an LMO?"

Since this is perfectly permissible on a regular visit, I'd be surprised if that wasn't also true for the Supervisa.

No doubt an expert will be along soon.

Former Lancastrian Jan 13th 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9839260)
Now I'll admit to not having read your link, but the question wasn't "Can you work on a Supervisa?". but rather "Can you seek an employer who is willing to apply for, and is successful in obtaining an LMO?"

Since this is perfectly permissible on a regular visit, I'd be surprised if that wasn't also true for the Supervisa.

No doubt an expert will be along soon.

Although I dont consider myself an expert I will admit that the way the question was worded does not say can I work on a super visa but indicates that the person might want to apply for a work permit and therefore changes the intent of the visit.
We all know that a visitor cannot work or study. So if they are a visitor why would they be seeking employment?
True many persons arrive on a job hunting trip and thats perfectly ok as long as they tell the BSO that as that is their intention.
If the BSO suspects that they might work then they could be denied entry as a non bona fide visitor.
Yes I know its a fine line between working and applying for a job but what was the intent of the traveller at the time of entry?
Most visitors I come across have no intent to work or apply for jobs.
Also their time can also be limited by a BSO if not satisfied that they are just here to visit.
I will supply the link that yourself and other should read and point out the relevant sections such as Act 16, A30, Regulations 6, 7, 8 & 9, R45, R183 & 185 & R196
Read section 8.9 of page 29, section 13.17 on page 55, section 13.24 page 58
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

A = Act R = Regulation of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act

I hope this clarifies my statement made about basically No to working.

happy hatter Jan 13th 2012 6:08 pm

Let me clarify:

My parents aren’t thinking about working and their intent is to live out their retirements years with us, (we would hope to keep getting the supervisa renewed evey 2 years until their own PR was through, which we have been told could take up to 8 years!) but knowing my Dad like I do I guess sooner or later he will get bored and want to do a little bit of work. He is an experienced framer but without any formal qualifications and wouldn't think of working illegally so he would need a TFWP. If Dad got a work permit as a TFW does Mom lose her right (if granted) to the super visa?

Former Lancastrian Jan 13th 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by happy hatter (Post 9840718)
Let me clarify:

My parents aren’t thinking about working and their intent is to live out their retirements years with us, (we would hope to keep getting the supervisa renewed evey 2 years until their own PR was through, which we have been told could take up to 8 years!) but knowing my Dad like I do I guess sooner or later he will get bored and want to do a little bit of work. He is an experienced framer but without any formal qualifications and wouldn't think of working illegally so he would need a TFWP. If Dad got a work permit as a TFW does Mom lose her right (if granted) to the super visa?

No your mother would not lose her right as both need to apply for the super visa seperately. Its not a family visa both have to apply.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-how.asp

justie Jan 15th 2012 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=Happydayz;9831530]Hi there wondering if anyone knows where I should start, My Mother and Farther emigrated to Canada in 1963, long story short My mother never took her citizenship, and when my Dad passed he was living in montreal , but Mum was in the UK due to ill health, now she is there one her own, all her daughters live here in Canada, we want to have her live with us as she is getting older and travel is less easy for her, but would she have to start again with a pr application? or does she have any entitlements from either my father (a citizen of Canada) could she claim a pension over here? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.[/Q

I believe your mother would be able to claim her british pension over there. I think a little trip across the border every 6 months might be an option!! Its just that medical insurance you'd need.