TRV visa interview at Buffalo

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

cheersnparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRV visa interview at Buffalo

Hello Experts,

Earlier I was on the student visa in Canada and later I got 1 year post-graduate work permit. After expiring that, again I took study permit and currently have that status.

1 month ago, I applied for the TRV at Buffalo to visit back-home and they called me for an interview asking to bring my transcripts, grade reports, diploma/degree, etc since I am in Canada till present.

1) With regards to above, I want to know, will they ask the documents while I was on the work-permit in past or just the study things?
2) Secondly, when I applied TRV, I was not having college campus job, now I have it. So how should I update them? Should I just let them know during the interview or should I fill the application form once again and give them during interview or just update them by writing 1 letter and providing them during the interview?
3) Is it possible to get TRV – multiple for 1 year or more?
4) And will I be able to re-enter Canada on my study permit, in case if they reject my TRV? What affects can happen if my TRV is rejected, can I be able to re-enter Canada or have to return back-home?

I look forward to hearing from any expert(s) and thank you for their time.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:36 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRV visa interview at Buffalo

1) Bring all, just to be safe (instead of being sorry)

2) Update the info during interview

3) Yes

4) Nope. No TRV = no re-entry to Canada, period. Study and work permits are not visas and they don't authorize re-entry.

Originally Posted by cheersnparty
Hello Experts,

Earlier I was on the student visa in Canada and later I got 1 year post-graduate work permit. After expiring that, again I took study permit and currently have that status.

1 month ago, I applied for the TRV at Buffalo to visit back-home and they called me for an interview asking to bring my transcripts, grade reports, diploma/degree, etc since I am in Canada till present.

1) With regards to above, I want to know, will they ask the documents while I was on the work-permit in past or just the study things?
2) Secondly, when I applied TRV, I was not having college campus job, now I have it. So how should I update them? Should I just let them know during the interview or should I fill the application form once again and give them during interview or just update them by writing 1 letter and providing them during the interview?
3) Is it possible to get TRV – multiple for 1 year or more?
4) And will I be able to re-enter Canada on my study permit, in case if they reject my TRV? What affects can happen if my TRV is rejected, can I be able to re-enter Canada or have to return back-home?

I look forward to hearing from any expert(s) and thank you for their time.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:16 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
1) Bring all, just to be safe (instead of being sorry)

2) Update the info during interview

3) Yes

4) Nope. No TRV = no re-entry to Canada, period. Study and work permits are not visas and they don't authorize re-entry.
Andrew,

Just to clarify that if some one has valid study/work permit, they can enter canada from USA without TRV visa. So I assume in the above case, the person should be allowed to canada if he/she has valid study permit.

Regards

newlooks
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by newlooks
Andrew,

Just to clarify that if some one has valid study/work permit, they can enter canada from USA without TRV visa. So I assume in the above case, the person should be allowed to canada if he/she has valid study permit.

Regards

newlooks
Yes, as long as they are only in the contiguous US or St. Pierre and Miquelon.

PMM
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Yes, as long as they are only in the contiguous US or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
Do you really mean to exclude Alaska and Hawaii, which are not part of the contiguous United States? Or do you just mean to exclude territories and possessions such as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam?
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Do you really mean to exclude Alaska and Hawaii, which are not part of the contiguous United States? Or do you just mean to exclude territories and possessions such as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam?
Alaska is contiguos, Hawaii is not.

PMM
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Alaska is contiguos, Hawaii is not.
It's contiguous to Canada, but not to the 48 other mainland states. Americans usually mean the lower 48 when they say "contiguous United States".

So the rule is that a permit holder can leave Canada and re-enter as long as they don't leave the 49 mainland states? I'm just curious--there are no passport formalities inside the US, so how would Canada know whether someone had gone to Hawaii while in the United States? And what's the rationale behind the distinction, from the Canadian point of view?
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:35 pm
Mission Accomplished !

bubbleface will become famous soon enoughbubbleface will become famous soon enough

I see there's conflicting information here. Andrew mentioned that we cannot come back to Canada from US with "only" the study permit while PMM & newlooks say it's allowable.

Does anyone know if there's any specific rule on this issue or where can I find more information about it? I really want to know this & pass it to my friend. She's deciding whether to go to US for interview or not.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by newlooks
Andrew,

Regards

newlooks
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by bubbleface
I see there's conflicting information here. Andrew mentioned that we cannot come back to Canada from US with "only" the study permit while PMM & newlooks say it's allowable.

Does anyone know if there's any specific rule on this issue or where can I find more information about it? I really want to know this & pass it to my friend. She's deciding whether to go to US for interview or not.

Thanks!
See : http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...enf/enf04e.pdf 13.3

PMM
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As long of course that he won't be going anywhere from US before returning to Canada.

And providing that everything checks out during the interview and his permit won't be revoked. Officer may cancel existing work permit if things won't check out.

Originally Posted by PMM