Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
I dont think they will recognise CEng from Australia too but may recognise the engineering degrees.
"Canada recently agreed to participate in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Engineer Register, along with the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan, and Korea."

There is also a recognition of French accreditation (CTI).

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
In which case why do they recognize French engineers, or Australian ones? The French legal system is like the Canadian (which varies by province, anyway)? And the Australian climate is very like Canada's?

There is, however, one aspect to engineering law that is different in Canada: suing people and companies for using the word "engineer". The various provincial P.Eng bodies in Canada have tried to claim the word "engineer" as their own so that "software engineering" becomes a Government-sanctioned restricted trade. In Quebec (of course) Microsoft was fined $1000 for using the word in their MCSE training.

K.
I realise that the law varies by province...thats why I carefully chose the word jurisdiction, not country . Canadian engineers moving from one province to another still need to be assesed for that very reason.

Its all about reciprocal agreements...basically politics. Under the Washington accord Canada recognises degrees from all those countries (including the UK)...If your degree was suitable for professional membership in that country....its good here.

I dont know of those countries you mentioned have negotiated a reciprocal "swap" deal for full PEng / CEng status. Canada and the UK have not thrashed out the details of that yet... a canadian PEng cant go to the UK yet and take up CEng status...its a two way street. but like I said...in these times of increasing global workforce mobility, you can bet that they are talking about it.

But dont confuse international qualification recognition, with international experience recognition!

Last edited by iaink; Nov 20th 2006 at 2:29 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
and rightly so
No, not rightly so. Regulated professions are needed where a guarantee of professional standards is essential, which mostly means domains where safety is an issue (medicine, civil engineering, etc.). Software is a cross-domain activity and should be regulated by the applicable domain. Or do you think that all software should be developed to DO178B standards?

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
But dont confuse international qualification recognition, with international experience recognition!
I didn't. I listed the countries where there is an agreement to form a mutually-recognized list of engineers with the recognized experience.

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough

No, not rightly so. Regulated professions are needed where a guarantee of professional standards is essential, which mostly means domains where safety is an issue (medicine, civil engineering, etc.). Software is a cross-domain activity and should be regulated by the applicable domain. Or do you think that all software should be developed to DO178B standards?

K.
Sorry I didnt make myself clear..

I was saying that the term engineer should be controlled and organisations such as APEGGA are doing a good job. Not everyone should be allowed to call themselves Engineer. You dont know how frustrating it is to see technicians calling themselves engineers
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't. I listed the countries where there is an agreement to form a mutually-recognized list of engineers with the recognized experience.

K.
I could find nothing about it on the PEO site. They still maintain:
ATTENTION: Non-Canadian residents:
<snip>

3. Collaboration with a Licensed member of the association is required to ensure that the engineering work complies with Canadian and Ontario codes, standards, and laws governing the work. All final drawings, reports, etc., must be co-signed and sealed by the collaborator. Also, collaborators must write directly to the Registrar confirming their willingness to act as collaborators.

Thats for temporary licensing... which is relatively new idea to smooth the international transition, and applies to UK CEngs as well as other internationally recognised similar professional standards. You can get a temporary license, but untill you have suffucient canadian supervised experience you still need a canadian PEng to cosign.

Do you have a link to where it says (for example) french chartered engineers can go straight to full solo PEng status?

Last edited by iaink; Nov 20th 2006 at 2:29 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Do you have a link to where it says (for example) french chartered engineers can go straight to full solo PEng status?
Try this: P.Eng FAQ

The Asia-Pacific countries agreement is quite new, I think, so probably nothing has been actually done yet.

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Try this: P.Eng FAQ

The Asia-Pacific countries agreement is quite new, I think, so probably nothing has been actually done yet.

K.
That will allow them to negotiate bilateral mutual recognition agreements on full professional mobility, which will allow the engineers on their respective national registers to work, with a minimum of prescreening

So still much to decide then, and still some prescreening required. Really not so far from the temporary liciensing that already exists.

Im not saying P.Eng status would not be without its uses, more so in some fields (like Civil) than others (like material/ production), but its far from as important in the work place as the PEO and other provincial groups (who want your $200 a year, plus all those application and exam fees) would have us all believe. There is a lot of politics and lobying involved in this whole area.

The reality is that as long as each engineering group has a PEng to cover the legal requirement, they can hire as many regular grads without PEng as they like to get the work done...the PEng becomes like the queen I guess...a figurehead

Last edited by iaink; Nov 20th 2006 at 3:09 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Reputable companies try not to build buildings that collapse because they'll kill people, destroy their reputation and get sued to hell, not because they employ a few people with fancy letters after their names.

Most 'professional' bodies are just an attempt to recreate the medieval guilds that kept their members rich no matter whether there were people outside the guild who could do the job as well or better.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:12 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Here the coles notes and gods honest truth about immigration to Canada from someone who did it.

Its not easy.

CIC are a complete waste of space and you will wait a long time to get here

Dont come here expecting it to be easy or you will fail, its the hardest thing you will ever do.

You will miss home, and stupid things like salad cream and cadburys chocolate.

BUT.......

If you work hard, dont expect everything to fall into your lap and stay focused and positive it will work out.

If you cant find a job in your field, dont be scared to take a different/lower paying/lesser job than in England. it might not be what you want but its a step in the right direction and helps you make contacts, references for the future. it also gets you out into society and helps make freinds.

Try not to think about everyting in English terms this isnt ENgland its Canada. the grocery stores are different, cars are different and tv is different.

However

Dont feel like you have to give up your english ways, its who you are and what made you. Dont feel bad for sitting and watching corrie while drinking PG tea and eating marmite on crumpets its a good way to stave off the homesickness, but dont be afraid to try new things.

Give it a full year to see if its for you, people who come here for 3 months and go home in my mind havent given it long enough. You have to do all four seasons, miss everyones birthday back home, celebrate yours here, do a canadian christmas and try to embrace thanksgiving before you can truly say i tried it and didnt like it.

Thats my two penneths worth. I came here nearly 4 years ago and struggled, strived and tried so hard.

and I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT here.
Very nicely put !!