Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:25 am
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink
The squeeky wheel always attracts all the attention. Some people struggle, but most dont. They move on, get on with their new lives and you never hear anything more from them.

Dont worry about the disenchanted whiners. Life is what YOU make it. If you come to Canada without doing homework on your employment prospects, or expecting the world on a plate for you, then you will get what you deserve.

Come with your eyes open, with a flexible "can do" attitude, and the good life is there for the taking. Attitude (and location) is everything. Moving to canada was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Everybody on the forum, who have already made it to Canada, I urge you guys to post your positive experiences on the canadaimmigrants site as well. A majority of the posts on that site would scare the c**p out of many intending immigrants.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by GOBLIN
Everybody on the forum, who have already made it to Canada, I urge you guys to post your positive experiences on the canadaimmigrants site as well. A majority of the posts on that site would scare the c**p out of many intending immigrants.
I'm not there yet, still in the early stages...but if I wasn't the type of person I am, those posts would put me off. I'm (luckily or stupidly, take your pick) an eternal optimist. I expect things to work out...in the end.

Having said that, I know I'll probably feel homesick, think 'sh1t, what have I don?' and cry at some point. BUT I've already started trying to make contact with voluntary organisations out there to see if there's anything I can do when I go over. I've even offered to do some writing/editing for a voluntary organisation BEFORE I move. I've started looking realistically at my job prospects and I'm prepared to say that although I want to work in comms and/or journalism, I'll work in an office doing admin or on a hotel reception if I have to.

I'm still going to be taking at least three jars of Marmite over with me though
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I work as an engineer, with real engineer pay and responsibilities. I am not a PEng. My Boss, who was engineering manager in charge of 100+ engineers and techs at a multinational, before startinghis own business that was later boughtout by a different multinational, also is not a PEng. At some point above us in the chain is a PEng, but shes in a different office, 150km away, and knows little of our part of the business.
So what is the purpose of PEng status? As ever, just another racket.

K.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:42 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Only PEng can sign off or approve the work done, sign the blueprint, etc.

And PEng is not only a Canadian or British "invention". All those US-bound in this forum should know that US also have PEng licensing (varies by State):

http://www.ieeeusa.org/careers/licensure.html

Originally Posted by kt0157
So what is the purpose of PEng status? As ever, just another racket.

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:05 am
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
BUT I've already started trying to make contact with voluntary organisations out there to see if there's anything I can do when I go over. I've even offered to do some writing/editing for a voluntary organisation BEFORE I move. I've started looking realistically at my job prospects and I'm prepared to say that although I want to work in comms and/or journalism, I'll work in an office doing admin or on a hotel reception if I have to.

I'm still going to be taking at least three jars of Marmite over with me though
I think that's the right attitude! You have to be flexible( in terms of your first job) in a country where nobody knows you and may not recognise your qualifications.

Indeed Canada is breathtakingly beatuiful and welcomes immigrants. But if one expects it to be a land of milk and honey......streets paved with gold(like many newcomers) then you're going to have a rough time.

You need to make a new beginning and work your way up from there. With your optimism, planning and persistenceI'm sure you will achieve your goals.

All the best
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough

I just want to add my 2 cents.

I am a process engineer sometimes called chemical engineer in the UK. I am looking to move to canada and so have registered with APEGGA as an engineer in training. This means that my academic qualifications are upto their standard and i meet the good character bit of the application.

Now they have supplied me with all the details on becoming a PEng. I fully support this Professional engineer designation. It gives respect to us PROPER engineers. In the UK everyone calls themselves an engineer even plumbers or washing machine technicians..

Anyway hopefully i can build on my experience and become a PEng by the time i get out there. Getting a PEng will increase my chances of getting a job and better $$
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
Now they have supplied me with all the details on becoming a PEng. I fully support this Professional engineer designation. It gives respect to us PROPER engineers. In the UK everyone calls themselves an engineer even plumbers or washing machine technicians..
But in the UK you can't call yourself a Chartered Engineer (CEng) unless you have that qualification. Same goes for Incorporated Engineer (IEng).

CEng is basically the equivalent to PEng. If you're living in the UK, is there a reason why are you not CEng/IEng?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
But in the UK you can't call yourself a Chartered Engineer (CEng) unless you have that qualification. Same goes for Incorporated Engineer (IEng).

CEng is basically the equivalent to PEng. If you're living in the UK, is there a reason why are you not CEng/IEng?
I have only been working for 3 years. I graduated in 2003. I need about 2 more years to get CEng & hopefully P Eng
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because it's difficult. It requires accredited educational achievements (e.g. engineering degree) plus several years of experience, several of which must be at a senior position of responsibility.

And does the PEng accreditation body accept a UK CEng? Well, given Canada's famous attitude to recognising foreign qualifications, let's just guess, shall we?

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Because it's difficult. It requires accredited educational achievements (e.g. engineering degree) plus several years of experience, several of which must be at a senior position of responsibility.

And does the PEng accreditation body accept a UK CEng? Well, given Canada's famous attitude to recognising foreign qualifications, let's just guess, shall we?

K.
It does not recognise CEng.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
It does not recognise CEng.
Ta da!

It does/will soon recognise some countries. Some Asia Pacific (including Australia and New Zealand). And France.

One reason this is so spotty is that so many international treaties are negotiated by the provinces separately. It must drive other countries nuts: they've got a big international deal hammered out and suddenly a nobody representing a titchy province of nothings throws their toys out of the pram and scuppers the whole thing.

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ta da!

It does/will soon recognise some countries. Some Asia Pacific (including Australia and New Zealand). And France.

One reason this is so spotty is that so many international treaties are negotiated by the provinces separately. It must drive other countries nuts: they've got a big international deal hammered out and suddenly a nobody representing a titchy province of nothings throws their toys out of the pram and scuppers the whole thing.

K.
are you sure you are not referring to educational degrees and not CEng?

Canada does recognise UK degrees (Engineering) due to the washington accord but does not recognise CEng...

I dont think they will recognise CEng from Australia too but may recognise the engineering degrees.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

K.
Not at the moment, but they are working on it. There are good reasons for this, one of the top of my head is that part of the PEng responsibility is understanding the legal requirements and liabilities, which of course are different in a new jurusdiction. The other is that in say, civil engineering, the different climate would make techniques that are "normal" in one country impractical in the other... so there is an adjustment phase that needs to be taken into account.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not at the moment, but they are working on it. There are good reasons for this, one of the top of my head is that part of the PEng responsibility is understanding the legal requirements and liabilities, which of course are different in a new jurusdiction.
In which case why do they recognize French engineers, or Australian ones? The French legal system is like the Canadian (which varies by province, anyway)? And the Australian climate is very like Canada's?

There is, however, one aspect to engineering law that is different in Canada: suing people and companies for using the word "engineer". The various provincial P.Eng bodies in Canada have tried to claim the word "engineer" as their own so that "software engineering" becomes a Government-sanctioned restricted trade. In Quebec (of course) Microsoft was fined $1000 for using the word in their MCSE training.

K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

In which case why do they recognize French engineers, or Australian ones? The French legal system is like the Canadian (which varies by province, anyway)? And the Australian climate is very like Canada's?

There is, however, one aspect to engineering law that is different in Canada: suing people and companies for using the word "engineer". The various provincial P.Eng bodies in Canada have tried to claim the word "engineer" as their own so that "software engineering" becomes a Government-sanctioned restricted trade. In Quebec (of course) Microsoft was fined $1000 for using the word in their MCSE training.

K.
and rightly so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.