Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:40 am
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough
Default The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

I was referred to this site by a friend. It's shocking to see so many immigrants not satisfied with their lives/careers after moving to Canada.

This website has also been featured on TV shows. Hope this will help people on the forum to prepare better for their move to Canada.

Here's the link.........

www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_2.asp
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:39 pm
Oakville, Ontario

dancath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Truth About Emigrating to Canada?

Originally Posted by GOBLIN
I was referred to this site by a friend. It's shocking to see so many immigrants not satisfied with their lives/careers after moving to Canada.

This website has also been featured on TV shows. Hope this will help people on the forum to prepare better for their move to Canada.

Here's the link.........

Being English, Id really like to read the thoughts of more English people who have gone out to Canada. So far my entire experience with the country has been positive. My wife Catherine got a job fairly easily in Nursing, and I have made many contacts who all seem to want to help me, and cant wait for us to get out there.

I guess every experience is subjective, and each will have a different one. You'll never know till you try for yourself. and I for one am not going to sit in England for the next 30 years and wish that I had done something about getting out of here.

To me the streets aren't paved with gold over there, its going to be very tough to establish ourselves fully..... but were in it for the long haul.... and we'll go through whatever it takes to make it work.

thats about all I can say. Stop reading the negatives experiences in too much detail.... most of the people who have positive ones probably dont post, cause they are too busy enjoying life in Canada....

Id love to know the percentage of immigrants from the Uk that are happy /unhappy after 3-5 years.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The squeeky wheel always attracts all the attention. Some people struggle, but most dont. They move on, get on with their new lives and you never hear anything more from them.

Dont worry about the disenchanted whiners. Life is what YOU make it. If you come to Canada without doing homework on your employment prospects, or expecting the world on a plate for you, then you will get what you deserve.

Come with your eyes open, with a flexible "can do" attitude, and the good life is there for the taking. Attitude (and location) is everything. Moving to canada was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:18 pm
Ski Bum

SkiBum will become famous soon enoughSkiBum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GOBLIN

Here's the link.........

If you set up a website for people to whinge on, then the content will generally be from....whingers.

My experience, having lived here for 2 years is that it is a FANTASTIC place. Warm, generous people who know how to enjoy what nature provides. Plenty to do. Of course, there's bureaucracy and the like. But that's the case anywhere, the UK being a case in point. At least here you can always just kick back and look at the mountains...

Last edited by SkiBum; Nov 17th 2006 at 3:20 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:13 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus the discussed site is full of inaccuracies and misleading information.

Just one simple example - one of posters claims that "Mechanical Engineering is a regulated profession. This basically means that you cannot work as a mechanical engineer in Canada."

What a piece of B.S. it is and completely untrue.

It is a professional engineer profession (like chartered engineer in UK) that is regulated and one needs to be licensed to practice as professional engineer and use designation of engineer - but everyone with engineering diploma or degree can can do engineering work under the direct supervision of licensed professional engineers:

http://cicic.ca/en/professions.aspx?...9.21&prof=2132

And just as SkiBum wrote - it is a place for whiners to do what they do the best (or what they can only do), the whining.

Originally Posted by SkiBum
If you set up a website for people to whinge on, then the content will generally be from....whingers.

My experience, having lived here for 2 years is that it is a FANTASTIC place. Warm, generous people who know how to enjoy what nature provides. Plenty to do. Of course, there's bureaucracy and the like. But that's the case anywhere, the UK being a case in point. At least here you can always just kick back and look at the mountains...

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 17th 2006 at 5:11 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is a professional engineer profession (like chartered engineer in UK) that is regulated and one needs to be licensed to practice as professional engineer and use designation of engineer - but everyone with engineering diploma or degree can can do engineering work under the direct supervision of licensed professional engineers
Great concept in theory. Bet it's not so great in practice. My brother-in-law is an architect but hasn't re-qualified in his new country (not Canada). He has to work under supervision, which in practice is no supervision at all. Instead, it's a licence to extract money for nothing from an immigrant who does all the work. And since it's a licenced profession, one must put up with it or re-qualify.

Generally, re-qualifying is not so easy because the profession is regulated by its own members who have a very nice cosy Government-sanctioned monopoly and have no motive to make it straightforward to join the guild (for that is what it is).

K.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I work as an engineer, with real engineer pay and responsibilities. I am not a PEng. My Boss, who was engineering manager in charge of 100+ engineers and techs at a multinational, before startinghis own business that was later boughtout by a different multinational, also is not a PEng. At some point above us in the chain is a PEng, but shes in a different office, 150km away, and knows little of our part of the business.

At my previous employer, out of the engineering staff of about 30, probably 3? had PEng status. That was a Teir 1 Auto supplier. Most of the "big 3" car company engineers we had day to day contact with, did not have PEng status either.

Andrew's right...as usual.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:48 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

The other issue is the lack of children in this country. Local couples don't have children
Thats where i stopped reading. Me thinks someone lives in wonderland.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:01 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Plus the discussed site is full of inaccuracies and misleading information.

Just one simple example - one of posters claims that "Mechanical Engineering is a regulated profession. This basically means that you cannot work as a mechanical engineer in Canada."

What a piece of B.S. it is and completely untrue.

It is a professional engineer profession (like chartered engineer in UK) that is regulated and one needs to be licensed to practice as professional engineer and use designation of engineer - but everyone with engineering diploma or degree can can do engineering work under the direct supervision of licensed professional engineers:

http://cicic.ca/en/professions.aspx?...9.21&prof=2132

And just as SkiBum wrote - it is a place for whiners to do what they do the best (or what they can only do), the whining.

I'm doing exactly that at the moment. I'm currently working as a Civil Engineer under the supervision of two P.Eng's. All it means is a quick check with the engineer before you send out stamped drawings. I've also sent of transcripts and Degree certificates to the Canadian Council of Proffessional Engineers for the International Education Assessment Program. Once that comes though i can start on the road to becoming a P.Eng the same as any other Canadian would have to do. It actually seems easier than the UK route of becoming Chartered.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
I'm doing exactly that at the moment. I'm currently working as a Civil Engineer under the supervision of two P.Eng's. All it means is a quick check with the engineer before you send out stamped drawings. I've also sent of transcripts and Degree certificates to the Canadian Council of Proffessional Engineers for the International Education Assessment Program. Once that comes though i can start on the road to becoming a P.Eng the same as any other Canadian would have to do. It actually seems easier than the UK route of becoming Chartered.
The hard part is the catch 22 that some employers (especially in civil, due to the H&S requirements for drawing sign off) are looking only for PEnges, and you cant become a PEng until you have sufficient candaian supervised experience.

Good Luck though!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:23 pm
Jedi

Originally Posted by iaink
The hard part is the catch 22 that some employers (especially in civil, due to the H&S requirements for drawing sign off) are looking only for PEnges, and you cant become a PEng until you have sufficient candaian supervised experience.

Good Luck though!
This is true. I seem to have an employer who is willing to fund/train me to become a PEng. I already have 12 months candian experience and a work permit for a further two, so hopefully the window of opportunity is well and truly ajar!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Andrew, does this mean that I can put my 22 years Aircraft Engineering experience to good use as long as I work under a P.Eng?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Here the coles notes and gods honest truth about immigration to Canada from someone who did it.

Its not easy.

CIC are a complete waste of space and you will wait a long time to get here

Dont come here expecting it to be easy or you will fail, its the hardest thing you will ever do.

You will miss home, and stupid things like salad cream and cadburys chocolate.

BUT.......

If you work hard, dont expect everything to fall into your lap and stay focused and positive it will work out.

If you cant find a job in your field, dont be scared to take a different/lower paying/lesser job than in England. it might not be what you want but its a step in the right direction and helps you make contacts, references for the future. it also gets you out into society and helps make freinds.

Try not to think about everyting in English terms this isnt ENgland its Canada. the grocery stores are different, cars are different and tv is different.

However

Dont feel like you have to give up your english ways, its who you are and what made you. Dont feel bad for sitting and watching corrie while drinking PG tea and eating marmite on crumpets its a good way to stave off the homesickness, but dont be afraid to try new things.

Give it a full year to see if its for you, people who come here for 3 months and go home in my mind havent given it long enough. You have to do all four seasons, miss everyones birthday back home, celebrate yours here, do a canadian christmas and try to embrace thanksgiving before you can truly say i tried it and didnt like it.

Thats my two penneths worth. I came here nearly 4 years ago and struggled, strived and tried so hard.

and I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT here.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course.

Originally Posted by dexdaw
Andrew, does this mean that I can put my 22 years Aircraft Engineering experience to good use as long as I work under a P.Eng?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:44 am
Just Joined

gcby2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

good one !

Last edited by gcby2010; Nov 18th 2006 at 12:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.