Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Trucking jobs seem to have dried up

Trucking jobs seem to have dried up

Old Dec 26th 2021, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Rogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
GCSE results would be equivalent to a high school certificate - just something showing you completed secondary school. When you say you left without any results, does that mean you took GCSE’s and just don’t have any paperwork showing that, or you took them but didn’t pass any?
Meaning I didn’t take any
GCSE final Exams , I left school Early Entered the workforce Early had a steady job in a butchers shop and then by 17 went into construction.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rogo
GCSE final Exams , I left school Early Entered the workforce Early had a steady job in a butchers shop and then by 17 went into construction.
Ah. I don't think you'd be able to get an ECA for completion of secondary education then I'm afraid, so none of those programs would be an option. I can't actually think of any visa program that doesn't ask for that tbh, do you have any educational certs at all, maybe for a NVQ or similar vocational program?
Old Dec 27th 2021, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What did you do in construction - did you have a trade or any sort?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#education
There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program
Old Dec 27th 2021, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah. I don't think you'd be able to get an ECA for completion of secondary education then I'm afraid, so none of those programs would be an option. I can't actually think of any visa program that doesn't ask for that tbh, do you have any educational certs at all, maybe for a NVQ or similar vocational program?
hello and thanks for Your Reply I do Actually have an NVQ and was issued a certificate.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
What did you do in construction - did you have a trade or any sort?
heavy Equipment Operator Articulated Dump truck + Agricultural tractor and water Bowser I’m currently operating these pieces of Equipment in the UK
Old Dec 28th 2021, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

I watch a lot of you tube bloggers who document programs set up by Various Provences in Canada there is a program in the yukon , that doesn’t require any education experience or IELTS
Old Dec 28th 2021, 2:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

heavy Equipment Operator Articulated Dump truck + Agricultural tractor and water Bowser I’m currently operating these pieces of Equipment in the UK
Heavy Equipment Operator is recognised as a Trade - which is good news - see the 'requirements' tab for links to each Provincial governing body - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/15029/ca

You could challenge the Certificate of Qualification based on experience - (hours worked) - For example - for BC see: https://www.itabc.ca/program/heavy-equipment-operator
If you have significant work experience in a trade but have never been certified in Canada, you may apply to challenge the certification.
A Certificate of Qualification could allow you to apply under Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) without a job offer - which has a much lower 'point' requirement.

I watch a lot of you tube bloggers who document programs set up by Various Provences in Canada there is a program in the yukon , that doesn’t require any education experience or IELTS
Which program do you believe you might qualify under Yukon PNP - all of them appear to require high school equivalence - https://yukon.ca/en/immigrate-yukon / Including the Business Nominee Program.. https://yukon.ca/en/find-eligibility...-entrepreneurs

at minimum a high school education, or Canadian equivalency
Perhaps go to the source of each Provincial program and check the requirements rather than rely on not always accurate information on social media..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ees/works.html links to every PNP program..

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 28th 2021 at 2:49 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Trucking in NB generally comes in 4 flavours each with its own subsections:

US long haul: This could be Boston (nearest big US city ) 8 ish hours or it could be Los Angeles 6 full days. Most run what is called the triangle. Maritimes load - deliver then reload Boston/New York North East US - deliver then reload Toronto/ Southern ON - deliver Maritimes. Most triangle runs will take 4-7 days depending on whats involved and delays. Reefers and box vans. They dont really use curtain siders here. There are also plenty of flat bed jobs if you really want to work for a living
I used to do a lot of Mid West and Florida with the occasional jaunt out to California. Frozen seafood out Fresh produce back. I would usually leave Friday or Saturday for Monday am delivery and be out until at least Thursday/Friday, back to Maritimes via Toronto/ Montreal. Brief stop at home then bounce up and down Montreal or Toronto get home Tues Wed. 36 - 48 at home rinse and repeat. Some drivers don't bother with the home part they just keep at it for a few weeks and then have a long weekend off. Expect to put in 60-80 hours a week on average. There is a reason they need immigrants to fill these jobs. A lot of the locals simply don't want to do them. This is the job you would likely end up doing first.

Canada only long haul. See above minus the US. It could be Montreal about 10 hours or Vancouver about 6 days. You could be out a couple of days or a few weeks. These jobs are there but less common.

Regional Atlantic Canada / Quebec. These break down into home every night or a few nights in the cab. This is typically where you progress to once you get residency after doing the Long haul gig. It depends also where you are based and what is within a days drive. Some of these jobs are great some are truly terrible.

Local pick up and delivery / shunting - set hours usually within a 2/3 hour radius or in town. - As rare as a talking duck. Dead mans shoes. Buy a lottery ticket. These jobs are nearly impossible to get. The locals have them sewn up. Even if you have been working for that company for 20 years with a platinum record you will still be behind someones son/ nephew etc

I would strongly suggest that once you are able and the covid situation is better to visit a few different places in Canada that might appeal to you as it is so different from place to place. Atlantic Canada is beautiful but it can be limiting depending on what you want. I became bored there and missed a lot of the bigger city stuff. Others have settled there and are very happy.

Hope this gives you a rough idea

Old Dec 28th 2021, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I don’t think Canadian winters are as brutal as 10 years Ago Just look how warm it is in the lower 48 states , many states that should of had heavy snowfall by now have September like temperatures.
Don't kid yourself. Most of the Canadian Prairies are in the minus 30s with the wind chill this week. That can last well into March/ April. Atlantic Canada doesn't get the prolonged extreme cold but what it lacks in frigid temps it more than makes up for in snowfall. You can wake up to find your car buried multiple times throughout winter. Its pretty in November or at Christmas. Its pretty bloody awful in March/April even May some years
Old Dec 28th 2021, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Thanks for the answer. One thing I was always wondering regarding trucking jobs, how much pressure is there in this job, to deliver in time? I mean, Canada's weather can be unpredictable, snow, ice, storms, etc.... and delivering up to the north may mean delays.
Genuine reasons are always fine. Breakdown Accidents Weather etc. As the owner of the company told me when I arrived. Its very easy to call the customer and explain why you are late. Its not to ring your Mrs and explain why you are not coming home. Any decent company will have a very clear policy of park it and pick up the phone .If they don't then why would you work for them? Every driver has a different threshold. It doesn't matter what that is as long as you arrive in one piece. Not picking up the phone is where a lot of people go wrong. I still laugh about it now, one bloke rang up Thursday to let them know that he would be late for his Wednesday appointment
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Heavy Equipment Operator is recognised as a Trade - which is good news - see the 'requirements' tab for links to each Provincial governing body - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/15029/ca

You could challenge the Certificate of Qualification based on experience - (hours worked) - For example - for BC see: https://www.itabc.ca/program/heavy-equipment-operator

A Certificate of Qualification could allow you to apply under Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) without a job offer - which has a much lower 'point' requirement.

Which program do you believe you might qualify under Yukon PNP - all of them appear to require high school equivalence - https://yukon.ca/en/immigrate-yukon / Including the Business Nominee Program.. https://yukon.ca/en/find-eligibility...-entrepreneurs

Perhaps go to the source of each Provincial program and check the requirements rather than rely on not always accurate information on social media..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ees/works.html links to every PNP program..
Noted I checked the Yukon Provincial Nominee program and As you Mentioned Education was Required so from now onwards I’ll Avoid social media , so Currently my best chances would be the Federal skilled worker program relating
to Heavy Equipment operator
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Trucking in NB generally comes in 4 flavours each with its own subsections:

US long haul: This could be Boston (nearest big US city ) 8 ish hours or it could be Los Angeles 6 full days. Most run what is called the triangle. Maritimes load - deliver then reload Boston/New York North East US - deliver then reload Toronto/ Southern ON - deliver Maritimes. Most triangle runs will take 4-7 days depending on whats involved and delays. Reefers and box vans. They dont really use curtain siders here. There are also plenty of flat bed jobs if you really want to work for a living
I used to do a lot of Mid West and Florida with the occasional jaunt out to California. Frozen seafood out Fresh produce back. I would usually leave Friday or Saturday for Monday am delivery and be out until at least Thursday/Friday, back to Maritimes via Toronto/ Montreal. Brief stop at home then bounce up and down Montreal or Toronto get home Tues Wed. 36 - 48 at home rinse and repeat. Some drivers don't bother with the home part they just keep at it for a few weeks and then have a long weekend off. Expect to put in 60-80 hours a week on average. There is a reason they need immigrants to fill these jobs. A lot of the locals simply don't want to do them. This is the job you would likely end up doing first.

Canada only long haul. See above minus the US. It could be Montreal about 10 hours or Vancouver about 6 days. You could be out a couple of days or a few weeks. These jobs are there but less common.

Regional Atlantic Canada / Quebec. These break down into home every night or a few nights in the cab. This is typically where you progress to once you get residency after doing the Long haul gig. It depends also where you are based and what is within a days drive. Some of these jobs are great some are truly terrible.

Local pick up and delivery / shunting - set hours usually within a 2/3 hour radius or in town. - As rare as a talking duck. Dead mans shoes. Buy a lottery ticket. These jobs are nearly impossible to get. The locals have them sewn up. Even if you have been working for that company for 20 years with a platinum record you will still be behind someones son/ nephew etc

I would strongly suggest that once you are able and the covid situation is better to visit a few different places in Canada that might appeal to you as it is so different from place to place. Atlantic Canada is beautiful but it can be limiting depending on what you want. I became bored there and missed a lot of the bigger city stuff. Others have settled there and are very happy.

Hope this gives you a rough idea
yes for Sure a Good insight into Trucking , it’s not much different to international work , which I’ve done but in my early 20’s Long before driver Cpc and digital tachos , it’s Amazing what you could do with a piece of Wire 😉 , the Conditions Are certainly a lot better for truckers not sure there treated any better in North America triangle work is quite popular in
Trucking so you managed to take your resets at home not sure if it’s harder now or Easier than back when you made the Move I did read somewhere there was a very bad truck Accident in Saskatchewan where lives were Lost traveling on a coach , since then licensing requirements have been tightened up .
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Noted I checked the Yukon Provincial Nominee program and As you Mentioned Education was Required so from now onwards I’ll Avoid social media , so Currently my best chances would be the Federal skilled worker program relating
to Heavy Equipment operator
No, Federal Skilled Trade program - it's a different program to the Federal Skilled Worker program, with different requirements and processes.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks Again for All your Advice 👍
Old Jan 8th 2022, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

There is also a program In Saskatchewan Called Saskatchewan Work Experience stream that doesn’t. Require a high school Certificate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.