Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Trouble obtaining Option C Printout

Trouble obtaining Option C Printout

Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bertclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble obtaining Option C Printout

Hi,

We have a problem with obtaining the Option C Printout, my sponsor was working in Canada all of the last tax year but is now with me for 3 months in England, she didn't file her taxes for that year and was told she can't get the printout without filing them, the problem is that she is not in Canada now to file them and won't be for a while (September) the rest of our application is complete and this is the only thing we have left to obtain.

Does anyone have any advice? She was only working part-time and is a student, and apparently as a common-law sponsor is exempt from the minimum income requirement. I don't know if a letter explaining her current circumstance would suffice or we would really need to get the printout, which could take months as she didn't receive a T4 from her last workplace!

Thanks for any help

Bert
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble obtaining Option C Printout

Originally Posted by bertclark
Hi,

We have a problem with obtaining the Option C Printout, my sponsor was working in Canada all of the last tax year but is now with me for 3 months in England, she didn't file her taxes for that year and was told she can't get the printout without filing them, the problem is that she is not in Canada now to file them and won't be for a while (September) the rest of our application is complete and this is the only thing we have left to obtain.

Does anyone have any advice? She was only working part-time and is a student, and apparently as a common-law sponsor is exempt from the minimum income requirement. I don't know if a letter explaining her current circumstance would suffice or we would really need to get the printout, which could take months as she didn't receive a T4 from her last workplace!

Thanks for any help

Bert
If you check the Sponsor checklist it shows what else can be provided if the Option C print out is not being used.

Just put a note in your covering letter that her tax return has yet to be completed so you are unable to get an Option c print out now - and get her tax return in ASAP just incase they make you get one - though I doubt they would, it doesn't hurt to be prepared!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If you check the Sponsor checklist it shows what else can be provided if the Option C print out is not being used.

Just put a note in your covering letter that her tax return has yet to be completed so you are unable to get an Option c print out now - and get her tax return in ASAP just incase they make you get one - though I doubt they would, it doesn't hurt to be prepared!
In our Sponsor Checklist it just says that we need the printout and how to get it, no other options!

I think we will try explaining to them that we don't have it, I hope that will be good enough, but we'll make sure that she gets started on them right away!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:41 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

In our Sponsor Checklist it just says that we need the printout and how to get it, no other options!

I think we will try explaining to them that we don't have it, I hope that will be good enough, but we'll make sure that she gets started on them right away!
Are you sure? Are you completing the correct forms - the ones where you apply from outside Canada - as I am assuming you are both still outside of Canada? If so, you would be completing these forms:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Are you sure? Are you completing the correct forms - the ones where you apply from outside Canada - as I am assuming you are both still outside of Canada? If so, you would be completing these forms:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp
If you go to Part 1: Sponsorship Forms and then Document Checklist, it is number 17 on there.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I have followed that link and it's under Part 1 then Document Checklist, then it's number 17.

We are very worried about this because I've read before that this is a very important thing to include!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:21 am

Yes, I have followed that link and it's under Part 1 then Document Checklist, then it's number 17.

We are very worried about this because I've read before that this is a very important thing to include!
If you are unable tprovide one, then you are unable to provide one. You need to state why you are unable to provide one - as it states at number 17.

Then I would get on with sorting out getting her T4 and submitting her tax return - at least that way if they DO ask for you to get an option c print out, you will have it all in hand.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help Amy! We are sending our application in a few days and she's going to start working on getting that done today, hopefully if they do ask her for one it'll be almost done by then!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

When we sent our spousal application in, we checked all the documents needed list and there was a warning that one of the main reasons an application was sent back was because the Option C paper was not included in the application.

By Canadian law, your partners employers have to send her a T4. Also by Canadian tax law, she should have filed a tax return for 2009 by 3oth April 2010, even if there was no income earned.

I would suggest that you get in touch with Canada Revenue and explain the problem. Also, get in touch with her ex employers and demand the T4.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anewPR
When we sent our spousal application in, we checked all the documents needed list and there was a warning that one of the main reasons an application was sent back was because the Option C paper was not included in the application.

By Canadian law, your partners employers have to send her a T4. Also by Canadian tax law, she should have filed a tax return for 2009 by 3oth April 2010, even if there was no income earned.

I would suggest that you get in touch with Canada Revenue and explain the problem. Also, get in touch with her ex employers and demand the T4.
Just an update on this, we sent in our application without the Option C Printout but with a note explaining that my sponsor hadn't filed her taxes and as it was the first time it would take 12 - 16 weeks and I'm glad to say that it was accepted through Mississauaga! We were really nervous that it would be rejected because of this, so we're very relieved now!