Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:48 am
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,874
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
No, you're right. I've travelled widely, but have never had to seek consular assistance. I'm law-abiding, careful, cautious, organised, and sorted. I'm also fairly well-educated, and am able to stand up for myself when required. I wouldn't seek consular or any other form of assistance from anybody, anywhere, if I could possibly help it. This is, I would hold, an essential attribute of true Britishness that we carry with us abroad.

All well and good ..............

until you happen to be in a country where there is a major earthquake, you run out of your hotel because that is what we are told to do, but you forget in the panic that your passport and most of your money are in your suitcase or the room safe, and are then not allowed back into the hotel because it is too dangerous.

That is when you find out if your country's consulate and/ or embassy and its officials are competent or no or whether you can get help form any other country.

You will then find out whether your stiff upper lip stays stiff as you watch people from other countries being helped while you sit and wait 3 days for the your officials to arrive and then tell you "we have no proof that you are a citizen of xxxxxxxx"

In the above example, it happened to be British citizens carrying a Canadian passport getting caught in one of the relatively recent earthquakes in New Zealand, but I have heard similar stories from people caught in other natural disasters where the official of their country have not come up to scratch.
scilly is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:15 am
  #17  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,835
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by scilly
All well and good ..............

until you happen to be in a country where there is a major earthquake, you run out of your hotel because that is what we are told to do, but you forget in the panic that your passport and most of your money are in your suitcase or the room safe, and are then not allowed back into the hotel because it is too dangerous.

That is when you find out if your country's consulate and/ or embassy and its officials are competent or no or whether you can get help form any other country.

You will then find out whether your stiff upper lip stays stiff as you watch people from other countries being helped while you sit and wait 3 days for the your officials to arrive and then tell you "we have no proof that you are a citizen of xxxxxxxx"

In the above example, it happened to be British citizens carrying a Canadian passport getting caught in one of the relatively recent earthquakes in New Zealand, but I have heard similar stories from people caught in other natural disasters where the official of their country have not come up to scratch.
That's exactly when it does become an issue, indeed.
As part of my job I have assisted Australians needing to be repatriated not just after earthquakes, but after bombings in India, major unrest in several Asian countries, and the 2004 Indonesian tsunami. That's where consular assistance comes into its own, not for helping people who can't afford a ticket home, but for assisting people caught up in natural or man-made disasters.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 11th 2018 at 10:29 am.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:27 am
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
vinegarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Rural Saskatchewan.
Posts: 491
vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

The 'stiff upper lip' aspect which respondents keep mentioning in nothing more than me always remembering that things, no matter how bad they get for me, can always get or be worse; that other people before me have struggled against far worse situations than whatever I'm dealing with at the time. Just think of the poor men stuck trapped in the Kursk at the bottom of the sea, or of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott in his deathbed tent in the Antarctic. Having to wait in a queue with no A/C for a consular official to take one's details pales utterly in comparison. Annoyances and inconveniences come and go, but the wonderful bravenesses of the past still have the power to inspire.
vinegarboy is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 1:20 pm
  #19  
Still alive
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,994
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I wish you and your stiff upper lip the best of luck but it would be wise going forward to assess which of your three passports will be most advantageous when travelling.
When it's a choice for me which passport I use for travel I ask myself which country do I want to be repatriated to should I need to be. That's why I travel mainly on the passport of the country where I live (unless travelling to Canada where I have to enter with my Canadian passport or the US where it's just easier to use my CDN passport rather than go through the rigmarole of applying for ESTA).

OP, events beyond your control can and do happen all the time. Don't underestimate how quickly things can turn to crap no matter where in the world one is.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 1:29 pm
  #20  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 18,198
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When it's a choice for me which passport I use for travel I ask myself which country do I want to be repatriated to should I need to be. That's why I travel mainly on the passport of the country where I live (unless travelling to Canada where I have to enter with my Canadian passport or the US where it's just easier to use my CDN passport rather than go through the rigmarole of applying for ESTA).

OP, events beyond your control can and do happen all the time. Don't underestimate how quickly things can turn to crap no matter where in the world one is.
Visas, availability of consular assistance, passport 'neutrality'; all should be taken into account. My regular travelling companion travels on his British passport but takes his Australian one as well should he need to play that card.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:45 pm
  #21  
Still alive
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,994
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Visas, availability of consular assistance, passport 'neutrality'; all should be taken into account. My regular travelling companion travels on his British passport but takes his Australian one as well should he need to play that card.
I do carry both .

As for multiple citizenships, my partner has British and Irish from birth, Australian through naturalisation and he has PR in Canada , so will eventually add that one. I think I could have Irish through my father but it's not that important to me .
Dorothy is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:49 pm
  #22  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 18,198
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I do carry both .

As for multiple citizenships, my partner has British and Irish from birth, Australian through naturalisation and he has PR in Canada , so will eventually add that one. I think I could have Irish through my father but it's not that important to me .
An Irish passport is a good one to have; it is prized for its neutrality by journalists travelling to sticky spots. Of course its usefulness will be placed on where you like to holiday
BritInParis is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2018, 2:37 pm
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
vinegarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Rural Saskatchewan.
Posts: 491
vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

So, happily for me, I finally (and at ever so long last!) became a Canadian citizen on Friday (9/14th). The MP whose hand I shook up on the stage while being presented with my citizenship certificate teased me about being a triple, so I said that I'd bet on three Queens, haha.
vinegarboy is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 4:39 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 605
paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Just remember to register with the Irish embassy before you have kids if you want to ensure your children get an Irish passport.
paw339 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 4:44 pm
  #25  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 18,198
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by paw339
Just remember to register with the Irish embassy before you have kids if you want to ensure your children get an Irish passport.


Even if you’re not interested your children may will be, particularly with Brexit.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 6:06 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,802
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by paw339
Just remember to register with the Irish embassy before you have kids if you want to ensure your children get an Irish passport.
Not necessary if the parent was born on the island of Ireland on or before Dec 31st 2004 - in which case, any children are automatically Irish citizens regardless of where they were born.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages...-birth-descent
MarylandNed is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.