Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

So, before I sign-on for what'll be my third full citizenship, is anyone aware of any issues with having British (born), Australian (naturalised), and now becoming a naturalised Canadian as well? I can't see any 'sudden-death' reason not to sign-on and become a full Canadian next week, but if anybody thinks differently, speak up now, please.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple citizenship (UK/Aus./Can.): any issues?

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
So, before I sign-on for what'll be my third full citizenship, is anyone aware of any issues with having British (born), Australian (naturalised), and now becoming a naturalised Canadian as well? I can't see any 'sudden-death' reason not to sign-on and become a full Canadian next week, but if anybody thinks differently, speak up now, please.
Gosh, has it been 4 years already!! Where does the time go!

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing to stop you applying for and ultimately obtaining Canadian Citizenship on top of your other 2 (provided you meet the time requirements etc., of course, lol) - we have a few members who have multiple Citizenship status.. I've not heard of any issues pertaining to it!

One thing you could bear in mind is that with Canadian Citizenship you will need to get (mandatory) a Canadian Passport to travel on. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html
Go for it - and congrats You might want to tell the tale of your journey in our Canniversary forum..

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 3rd 2018 at 7:55 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

We have NZ, UK and Canadian passports and it has never been an issue
Old Sep 6th 2018, 11:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no problems other than the usual caveats regarding consular assistance for dual nationals.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being laughed at, please could I ask what the "usual caveats" are for someone such as myself (British, Australian, and now imminently-to-become Canadian, as well), who might one day find himself in need of consular assistance in a foreign country? Is there some kind of customary or authoritative rule that the person should approach consulates in the order of his acquisition of his various citizenships? I would've thought that each citizenship is independent of any other, so far as seeking consular assistance would be concerned. With thanks in advance for clarifying/enlightening responses.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 3:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It means that you can’t claim consular assistance in a country of which you are a citizen, e.g. if you get in difficulties in Canada you can’t go running to the British or Australian consulates for help.

Also you will usually only be able to request consular assistance in a third country from the country on whose passport you entered on, e.g. if you entered France on a Canadian passport then you couldn’t shop around to the British and Canadian consulates in order to get ‘better’ help.

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 8th 2018 at 3:56 am.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, at one time you wouldn't be given help by the other consulates in the example sited by BritInParis. So you could end up with a problem if eg Canada did not have a consulate or a representative in that country.

That was the example that was given to us back in the early 70s when we were debating about a Canadian vs British passport.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It means that you can’t claim consular assistance in a country of which you are a citizen, e.g. if you get in difficulties in Canada you can’t go running to the British or Australian consulates for help.

Also you will usually only be able to request consular assistance in a third country from the country on whose passport you entered on, e.g. if you entered France on a Canadian passport then you couldn’t shop around to the British and Canadian consulates in order to get ‘better’ help.
*British and Australian consulates even
Old Sep 10th 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I have British and Irish citizenship by birth. I also have Canadian and US citizenship by naturalisation. No serious issues have been experienced.

You need to be aware of this:
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada

"Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA."

This basically means that, as a Canadian citizen, you will need to have a valid Canadian passport if you want to fly into Canada. Canadian citizens are not eligible for eTA so technically you can't get an eTA for your non-Canadian passport. So keep a valid Canadian passport.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being laughed at, please could I ask what the "usual caveats" are for someone such as myself (British, Australian, and now imminently-to-become Canadian, as well), who might one day find himself in need of consular assistance in a foreign country? Is there some kind of customary or authoritative rule that the person should approach consulates in the order of his acquisition of his various citizenships? I would've thought that each citizenship is independent of any other, so far as seeking consular assistance would be concerned. With thanks in advance for clarifying/enlightening responses.
If you're currently in one of the countries that you are a citizen of, you can't go running for help to the embassy/consulate of one of the other countries you are a citizen of - because the country you are currently in has jurisdiction over you.

If you're in a country that you are NOT a citizen of, you can seek assistance at the embassy/consulate of any of the countries you are a citizen of - because the country you are currently in DOES NOT have jurisdiction over you.

If you go to an embassy/consulate for assistance, make sure you can prove you are a citizen of that country. The best way to do that is with a valid passport.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If you're currently in one of the countries that you are a citizen of, you can't go running for help to the embassy/consulate of one of the other countries you are a citizen of - because the country you are currently in has jurisdiction over you.

If you're in a country that you are NOT a citizen of, you can seek assistance at the embassy/consulate of any of the countries you are a citizen of - because the country you are currently in DOES NOT have jurisdiction over you.

If you go to an embassy/consulate for assistance, make sure you can prove you are a citizen of that country. The best way to do that is with a valid passport.
As a general rule you can only claim consular assistance from the country on whose passport you entered on.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm sincerely grateful to all of those forum members who've kindly given freely of their time to respond on here.

As for the country-on-which-one-entered debate, I can see that that'd be a convenient bureaucratic nicety that one might hear at first, but I doubt that any one of the three Five Eyes countries which concern me would ever desire to see one of their own citizens reporting back in today's instant media that s/he'd been denied service at a consulate/embassy abroad.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:58 pm

I'm sincerely grateful to all of those forum members who've kindly given freely of their time to respond on here.

As for the country-on-which-one-entered debate, I can see that that'd be a convenient bureaucratic nicety that one might hear at first, but I doubt that any one of the three Five Eyes countries which concern me would ever desire to see one of their own citizens reporting back in today's instant media that s/he'd been denied service at a consulate/embassy abroad.
Evidently you’ve never tried to obtain consular assistance.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

No, you're right. I've travelled widely, but have never had to seek consular assistance. I'm law-abiding, careful, cautious, organised, and sorted. I'm also fairly well-educated, and am able to stand up for myself when required. I wouldn't seek consular or any other form of assistance from anybody, anywhere, if I could possibly help it. This is, I would hold, an essential attribute of true Britishness that we carry with us abroad.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:05 am

No, you're right. I've travelled widely, but have never had to seek consular assistance. I'm law-abiding, careful, cautious, organised, and sorted. I'm also fairly well-educated, and am able to stand up for myself when required. I wouldn't seek consular or any other form of assistance from anybody, anywhere, if I could possibly help it. This is, I would hold, an essential attribute of true Britishness that we carry with us abroad.
I wish you and your stiff upper lip the best of luck but it would be wise going forward to assess which of your three passports will be most advantageous when travelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.