Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Tricky situation - will it matter? Experts, please advise.

Tricky situation - will it matter? Experts, please advise.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

PeteInUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tricky situation - will it matter? Experts, please advise.

Myself, my wife and my daughter had our passports returned from CHC, London with the visas stamped a few weeks ago. Landing forms IMM5292 were also enclosed for each member.

We are not UK citizens. Since my daughter was born here in the UK, upon us(her parents) becoming permanent residents (based on length of stay on work permit), she has now been granted British Citizenship.

However, her Canadian visa is stamped on her current passport and details of which are also mentioned on the Landing form. Since that country does not recognise dual nationality her passport will have to be surrendered in due course.

However, before I do so and apply for a British passport for her, I wish to know what are the formalities to get her Canadian visa transferred over to her new British Passport and have the Landing form amended accordingly. Our departure from the UK to Vancouver is scheduled for 1st November, 2005. I presume I'd have to get this done before then, or must I?

I read on posts here that once a visa is issued on a passport, it cannot be transferred. But, in this instance, nationality has changed and owing to which we are obliged to have the old passport cancelled (it will be returned to us though).

Please advise the best course of action. Many thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tricky situation - will it matter? Experts, please advise.

You should have thought about it before sending passports for visas. Now it is too late, sorry. Surrender (if you must) your daughter's current passport after landing in Canada.

Originally Posted by PeteInUK
Myself, my wife and my daughter had our passports returned from CHC, London with the visas stamped a few weeks ago. Landing forms IMM5292 were also enclosed for each member.

We are not UK citizens. Since my daughter was born here in the UK, upon us(her parents) becoming permanent residents (based on length of stay on work permit), she has now been granted British Citizenship.

However, her Canadian visa is stamped on her current passport and details of which are also mentioned on the Landing form. Since that country does not recognise dual nationality her passport will have to be surrendered in due course.

However, before I do so and apply for a British passport for her, I wish to know what are the formalities to get her Canadian visa transferred over to her new British Passport and have the Landing form amended accordingly. Our departure from the UK to Vancouver is scheduled for 1st November, 2005. I presume I'd have to get this done before then, or must I?

I read on posts here that once a visa is issued on a passport, it cannot be transferred. But, in this instance, nationality has changed and owing to which we are obliged to have the old passport cancelled (it will be returned to us though).

Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky situation - will it matter? Experts, please advise.

Originally Posted by PeteInUK

What's her 'old' nationality?

She most likely needs a British passport to return to the UK from Canada, unless the other country is in the EEA or Switzerland. It's easier to get one in the UK, http://www.passports.gov.uk

Jeremy