Travelling whilst waiting for PR

Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Travelling whilst waiting for PR

We sent off our passports to the UK for PR visas and are now awaiting their return but it could be anything up to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I am likely to need to return to the UK at short notice before then (we couldn't delay sending the passports as CIC only give 45 days and we were already well into that timeframe). I understand from the British Embassy website that I could apply for emergancy travel documents but the small print states that if I do (and assuming that they would give me one), they will cancel my existing passport. Does anyone know if this will affect my PR visa which I am assuming will be tied to my current passport number? I don't want to jeapodise my PR visa (and potentially start the immigration process over again!) but would really like to be able to travel if I have to. Anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions please?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling whilst waiting for PR

HI

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
We sent off our passports to the UK for PR visas and are now awaiting their return but it could be anything up to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I am likely to need to return to the UK at short notice before then (we couldn't delay sending the passports as CIC only give 45 days and we were already well into that timeframe). I understand from the British Embassy website that I could apply for emergancy travel documents but the small print states that if I do (and assuming that they would give me one), they will cancel my existing passport. Does anyone know if this will affect my PR visa which I am assuming will be tied to my current passport number? I don't want to jeapodise my PR visa (and potentially start the immigration process over again!) but would really like to be able to travel if I have to. Anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions please?
1. Look at this way, if they cancel your existing passport, then you can't "land" as the passport with the visa has to be valid.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. Look at this way, if they cancel your existing passport, then you can't "land" as the passport with the visa has to be valid.
yes, but therefore I would have to start the whole immigration process again to get another visa?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If you got the emergency travel document (which you would definitely get if you applied for it!), you could travel, but after you were done traveling you would then have to get a new UK passport and then send that back to the UK to get the PR visa.

It might be best to focus on trying to avoid travel right now.

Also remember that USUALLY the quoted number of weeks/months to get something done are conservative estimates so that you are pleasantly surprised in how quickly it really happens.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bewillow
If you got the emergency travel document (which you would definitely get if you applied for it!), you could travel, but after you were done traveling you would then have to get a new UK passport and then send that back to the UK to get the PR visa.

It might be best to focus on trying to avoid travel right now.

Also remember that USUALLY the quoted number of weeks/months to get something done are conservative estimates so that you are pleasantly surprised in how quickly it really happens.
Thanks bewillow, unfortunately its for a funeral so I won't have control of dates. Didn't think i could get a duplicate visa as the guidelines imply that you have to start the whole immigration process again - fingers crossed my visa and passport arrives quickly
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If I were you I would talk with the British HC and see if a temporary passport is possible because of the family emergency without canceling your old one.

Alternatively you could contact the Canadians in London about sending somebody to the HC to pick up your passport because of the family emergency.

Good luck!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

If I were you I would talk with the British HC and see if a temporary passport is possible because of the family emergency without canceling your old one.

Alternatively you could contact the Canadians in London about sending somebody to the HC to pick up your passport because of the family emergency.

Good luck!
Thanks, hopefully it won't arise but will try out your suggestions
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Good luck!
So the British HC have confirmed that they can issue a passport without cancelling my old one which is great.....They also pointed out that I may not actually be able to get back into Canada afterwards as I dont have my passport /work permit which allow me to be in Canada..... one step forward, two steps back....
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Do you have somebody in London who could collect your passport from the Canadian HC if you can not do so? If so, then I would contact the Canadian HC in London. Explain why you will be travelling to London. Ask them to NOT send your passport to Canada and instead request to pick it up.

Hopefully the real passport will be done and ready by the time you need it.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Do you have somebody in London who could collect your passport from the Canadian HC if you can not do so? If so, then I would contact the Canadian HC in London. Explain why you will be travelling to London. Ask them to NOT send your passport to Canada and instead request to pick it up.

Hopefully the real passport will be done and ready by the time you need it.
thanks but therein lies the problem, you can't "contact" Canadian HC - you can use the webform with no guarantee of a response (in my and others on BE experience). If I travel to London, I then almost certainly cannot re-enter Canada without my passport / work permit and sadly I can;t afford to end up stranded in London for an indeterminate period!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Use the web form. If you get a confirmation from them, then the message has gotten through. I can also privately give you tips for making direct contact.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Use the web form. If you get a confirmation from them, then the message has gotten through. I can also privately give you tips for making direct contact.
Hi Sadly no automatic confirmation to the webform I used Friday and Saturday (and its over 24 hours now) so if you could PM me with anything else to help, I would be very grateful