Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travelling - what to submit as current address?

Travelling - what to submit as current address?

Old Dec 28th 2016, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

DevNinja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling - what to submit as current address?

I am currently in a Central American country. I have been here almost four months. My parents live here and I am using their house as a base from which to explore the country.

I am on a tourist visa and will be leaving back to my permanent residence address in the UK within the next two months. My parents permanent residence address is also in the UK (the same as mine)

I am stuck with how to present this on my application. Does anyone know what I should submit for my residential address (where I currently live) on the webform, and and for my 'present address' on the Family Information Form (IMM5707)?

Also, in the personal details section of the webform under immigration history and citizenships I cannot change my current country of residence from England as it is grayed out. I'm thinking maybe I selected it in an earlier form. Is there any way to change that if I need to?
Old Dec 28th 2016, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling - what to submit as current address?

Application for what?

As you have a permanent residence in the U.K., I'd use that.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Application for what?
For a working holiday work permit

Originally Posted by Shirtback
As you have a permanent residence in the U.K., I'd use that.
Ok. Should I detail my current travel status in a letter of explanation?

Last edited by DevNinja; Dec 29th 2016 at 2:49 am.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevNinja

Not unless there's a question that specifically requests you do so.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If your current address is not in your country of citizenship, you need to provide a permanent address that is in your country of citizenship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/bilat.asp

S
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevNinja
For a working holiday work permit

It sounds like you're visiting the central American country, so if you don't have unrestricted rights to live and work there, you cannot be "living" there, so consistent with Snowy's advice, you need to give an address in a country where you do have a right to "live".
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like you're visiting the central American country, so if you don't have unrestricted rights to live and work there, you cannot be "living" there, so consistent with Snowy's advice, you need to give an address in a country where you do have a right to "live".
The instructions now state that if your current country of residence is not your country of citizenship, you need to provide a permanent mailing address that is in your country of citizenship. The instructions were updated on 23 Dec. I don't recall seeing that there before for citizens of countries where there is no specific residency requirement (which some countries do have eg Italians must be living in Italy at the time of applying but this doesn't apply to eg citizens of the UK who can be resident elsewhere).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 29th 2016 at 12:19 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If your current address is not in your country of citizenship, you need to provide a permanent address that is in your country of citizenship

S
Ok thanks, so if I am understanding you and the documentation correctly I should put my UK address on all forms?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like you're visiting the central American country
Yeah.. this brings up another question.. I haven't been working for about 6 months because of travelling. Do you know if gaps in my work history on the webform matter when applying for a whv? I am learning Spanish.. was thinking maybe I could select studying on the form even though it isn't a formal course

Last edited by DevNinja; Dec 29th 2016 at 4:23 pm.