Wikiposts

travelling to US and customs

Old Apr 29th 2002, 7:30 am
Peace In World

Default travelling to US and customs

I am a landed immigrant and have been living in Canada for about 6 months now. I
will have to travel to US for about 5 days every month for the next 6 – 8
months to meet my clients ( these are clients who we would be servicing in an
off-shore model ). Now I’ll make use of my commonwealth citizenship along with
my PR status to enter US each time .Now I believe the US INS does not issue any
entry documents when I enter by road – am I right ? If this is the case how
can I prove my (US ) entry date to the Canadian authorities when I re-enter and also
when I apply for citizenship ? Can I request the US INS to stamp my passport ? Would
a B1 be a better option ?

Also, each time I enter I’ll be carrying my laptop. When I re-enter the Canada
how can I show that laptop is something I carried with me from Canada and that I am
not importing. When I first landed I had carried in the laptop and submitted a list.
Will they have the list in the computer ( I noticed that they had just made a
notation in a log book ) ? I unfortunately misplaced the list when we moved into our
new apartment. Is it possible to get a copy from the customs?

And finally will the days spent outside Canada be counted towards the number of days
required for citizenship ( under the old and new laws ) ?

Old Apr 29th 2002, 1:30 pm
Meg Lamont

Default Re: travelling to US and customs

To register your laptop with Canada customs, Stop at a Canada Customs and they will
have you fill out a green card called Identification of article exported. It lists
the Article, the make, license or serial number. It does not have an expiry date.
They will stamp and sign it, you will sign it, and you are good to go. If you have
multiple electronic devices, like a palm, phone, etc, you might want to list them as
well on the same card. I've never had to show the green card to anyone since I've had
it, over a year or so. But it's always nice to have it on hand in case they should
ask. It's your responsibiltiy to prove ownership and this card does so.

Good luck!

Meg

"Peace in world" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am a landed immigrant and have been living in Canada for about 6 months now. I
    > will have to travel to US for about 5 days every month for the next 6 – 8
    > months to meet my clients ( these are clients who we would be servicing in an
    > off-shore model ). Now I’ll make use of my commonwealth citizenship along
    > with my PR status to enter US each time .Now I believe the US INS does not issue
    > any entry documents when I enter by road – am I right ? If this is the case
    > how can I prove my (US ) entry date to the Canadian authorities when I re-enter and
    > also when I apply for citizenship ? Can I request the US INS to stamp my passport ?
    > Would a B1 be a better option ?
    >
    > Also, each time I enter I’ll be carrying my laptop. When I re-enter the
    > Canada how can I show that laptop is something I carried with me from Canada and
    > that I am not importing. When I first landed I had carried in the laptop and
    > submitted a list. Will they have the list in the computer ( I noticed that they had
    > just made a notation in a log book ) ? I unfortunately misplaced the list when we
    > moved into our new apartment. Is it possible to get a copy from the customs?
    >
    > And finally will the days spent outside Canada be counted towards the number of
    > days required for citizenship ( under the old and new laws ) ?

Old May 1st 2002, 1:00 am
Stephen C. Gall

Default Re: travelling to US and customs

"Meg Lamont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > To register your laptop with Canada customs, Stop at a Canada Customs and they will
    > have you fill out a green card called Identification of article exported. It lists
    > the Article, the make, license or serial number. It
does
    > not have an expiry date. They will stamp and sign it, you will sign it,
and
    > you are good to go. If you have multiple electronic devices, like a palm, phone,
    > etc, you might want to list them as well on the same card. I've
never
    > had to show the green card to anyone since I've had it, over a year or so. But it's
    > always nice to have it on hand in case they should ask. It's your responsibiltiy to
    > prove ownership and this card does so.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Meg

When I attempted to register my digital camera, they asked to see the receipt (as
proof that it had been bought in Canada, or legally imported).

Stephen