Travelling post-landing

Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:42 am
  #1  
Resident Maple Leaf Lush
Thread Starter
 
sharkus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,749
sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling post-landing

I know, I know. Just wait until the letter arrives and see what it mentions about "next steps", but I'm curious! Plus, it's not British but US applying for Canadian PR, so a little cheeky to ask here (again!)

The "final step" items have been mailed off, and so one assumes something will come back, likely COPR, at which point, either make appointment to visit a CIC office, or turn up to a border crossing, in both cases, present passport and COPR.

I believe a PR card is automatically sent once you gain PR.

Now onto the actual question!

If someone visits the US very regularly - by car - , say at least once a month, and then, obviously, returns to Canada, then how does one re-enter if they don't have a PR card? Is something special done when you present the passport and COPR for the first time (it's been a fair while since I got my PR, and I didn't need to travel anywhere until well after I had my PR card)

Could one simply roll up with a US Passport and COPR time and time again, saying you're waiting for the PR card to turn up?

It seems you need a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document), but that's valid only for one entry, and seems to be a long form to fill out, and likely has an associated cost, so that can't be the only route, can it?
sharkus is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:56 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

You can return via the US land border in a private (not commercial) vehicle with your landing docs, without a PR card. Once the officer has verified the person is a PR, the PR has the right to enter Canada.

I don't know what it would be like for a US citizen, Canadian PR trying to board an aircraft back to Canada with no PR card as US citizens are visa and eTA exempt. I guess it depends how efficient the new passenger management system is on check in and what documentation is now requested.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 30th 2016 at 6:04 am.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:06 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,874
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can return via the US land border in a private (not commercial) vehicle with your landing docs, without a PR card. Once the officer has verified the person is a PR, the PR has the right to enter Canada.

I don't know what it would be like for a US citizen, Canadian PR trying to board an aircraft back to Canada with no PR card as US citizens are visa and eTA exempt. I guess it depends how efficient the new passenger management system is on check in and what documentation is now requested.

S
But as a PR if flying they need their PR card to show their PR status or could be denied boarding even if a US citizen and exempt eTA. An airline is a commercial carrier.

Permanent residents (PRs) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.
Understand permanent resident status
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:05 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But as a PR if flying they need their PR card to show their PR status or could be denied boarding even if a US citizen and exempt eTA. An airline is a commercial carrier.

Permanent residents (PRs) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.
Understand permanent resident status
Yes I agree. I assume the new system will instruct the airline to ask for a PR card (even a US citizen) but had not heard any user reports about this.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:12 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,874
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes I agree. I assume the new system will instruct the airline to ask for a PR card (even a US citizen) but had not heard any user reports about this.
Nobody knows what the airlines will or won't do. Some will be stricter than others especially when the person is flying on a one way ticket as opposed to the return leg of a return ticket. I wouldn't be risking it if no valid PR card.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:20 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nobody knows what the airlines will or won't do. Some will be stricter than others especially when the person is flying on a one way ticket as opposed to the return leg of a return ticket. I wouldn't be risking it if no valid PR card.
I think we're saying something similar!
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2016, 1:08 am
  #7  
Resident Maple Leaf Lush
Thread Starter
 
sharkus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,749
sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Thanks for the replies
sharkus is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:01 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nobody knows what the airlines will or won't do. Some will be stricter than others especially when the person is flying on a one way ticket as opposed to the return leg of a return ticket. I wouldn't be risking it if no valid PR card.
I agree but couldn't the US citizen do as everyone else used to do pre-eTA and pretend to be visiting when they check in at the airline?
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:04 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Yes but if their passport is scanned at check in and they are identified as PRs presumably they'll be asked for a PRC.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:07 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes but if their passport is scanned at check in and they are identified as PRs presumably they'll be asked for a PRC.
Gotcha... Presumably though if the airline's computer identifies them as a PR that would be enough then to let them board, but that would only be common sense, too much to ask from CIC (IRCC??)
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:09 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Gozit
Gotcha... Presumably though if the airline's computer identifies them as a PR that would be enough then to let them board, but that would only be common sense, too much to ask from CIC (IRCC??)
Not necessarily because one of the ideas behind the new systems is to stop visa exempt PRs getting on the plane without a valid PRC or PRTD. The new system is supposed to show the documentation each passenger needs to provide to board.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:14 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling post-landing

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Not necessarily because one of the ideas behind the new systems is to stop visa exempt PRs getting on the plane without a valid PRC or PRTD. The new system is supposed to show the documentation each passenger needs to provide to board.
Right... Gotcha...

I see no problem with having to have proper documentation to board a flight, but IRCC needs to step it up with PR card and citizenship applications. The former shouldn't take any longer than it takes me to renew my Canadian passport, and the latter, well, its been 18 months since we applied for my cousins' proof of citizenship and we've got nothing.
Gozit is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.