Wikiposts

Travelling by personal Car??

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 3:24 am
Just Joined

dave_check is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Travelling by personal Car??

Hi Guys,
I have recently been issued a Canadian PR Card. I am currently working and staying in USA and will be be moving to canada only after 4-5 months. I have to visit my relatives in canada next week so I am planning to drive by personal vehicle (car) to canada. So is it okay at the customs/ Immigration to take my personal vehicle and bring it back to USA after the visit ?? Are there any complications in doing so?? Anyone pls share their experiences?? :scared:

Thanks
Dave
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Travelling by personal Car??

Does anyone know the answer to this querry??
Andrew Miller, pls give your opinion
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling by personal Car??

Why would there be, you are taking your car to visit, and then bringing it back again.

Are you planning to import it later when you do move, and is it on your "goods to follow"? As you arent moving your stuff for the visit I wouldnt worry about it, you are just visiting.

Its only 2 and a half hours since your first post...try and be patient eh
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Travelling by personal Car??

Originally Posted by iaink
Why would there be, you are taking your car to visit, and then bringing it back again.

Are you planning to import it later when you do move, and is it on your "goods to follow"? As you arent moving your stuff for the visit I wouldnt worry about it, you are just visiting.

Its only 2 and a half hours since your first post...try and be patient eh
Thanks for the reply. I am not planning to import this car to canada even at a later stage. I will sell this here in US before I go to canada. I am just going to visit my relatives in canada and would like to take this car with me?? Is it okay or will the customs ask me to import the car/ pay customs on it??
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_check
Thanks for the reply. I am not planning to import this car to canada even at a later stage. I will sell this here in US before I go to canada. I am just going to visit my relatives in canada and would like to take this car with me?? Is it okay or will the customs ask me to import the car/ pay customs on it??
Cant imagine any problem. Why even mention you Canadian PRness if you arent actualy intending to be a resident on this occasion, just a (US?) visitor.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Travelling by personal Car??

Cant imagine any problem. Why even mention you Canadian PRness if you arent actualy intending to be a resident on this occasion, just a (US?) visitor.
Yes, But I will be crossing the border to canada with the help of my Candian PR Card. So I will have to mention to them that I am a Candian PR but currently staying in US and visiting canada temporarly. Will they allow my US car to be taken to canada and back to US without actually importing?? Sorry I am asking this again since in the previous responses there has been a lot of fear to do so as they might ask to import the vehicle to canada.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:31 am
Just Joined

sionnach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave_check
Yes, But I will be crossing the border to canada with the help of my Candian PR Card. So I will have to mention to them that I am a Candian PR but currently staying in US and visiting canada temporarly. Will they allow my US car to be taken to canada and back to US without actually importing?? Sorry I am asking this again since in the previous responses there has been a lot of fear to do so as they might ask to import the vehicle to canada.

Hi,
I just went to Canada for the holidays with my US Car.I also became a PR at that time. As I came out of the Immigration Office and went to the customs desk I had to explain that I was only coming to visit for 2 weeks and that I was returning to the US to sell the car.They were fine with that.
Here is something you BETTER be aware of..have your list of goods to follow with you...otherwise they will make you draw up a list on the spot..it happened to us..and after we were done and on the road we started to remember things that we didnt put on the list..so make the list now before you cross the border.
Deck
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by sionnach
Hi,
I just went to Canada for the holidays with my US Car.I also became a PR at that time. As I came out of the Immigration Office and went to the customs desk I had to explain that I was only coming to visit for 2 weeks and that I was returning to the US to sell the car.They were fine with that.
Here is something you BETTER be aware of..have your list of goods to follow with you...otherwise they will make you draw up a list on the spot..it happened to us..and after we were done and on the road we started to remember things that we didnt put on the list..so make the list now before you cross the border.
Deck
Hes already landed, so its too late for a goods to follow list now if its not already done.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:17 am
Just Joined

sionnach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hes already landed, so its too late for a goods to follow list now if its not already done.

Ahhh..Ok.