Travelling with convictions.

Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:23 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Default Travelling with convictions.

How true is this, while talking to fellow co workers the subject came up about if you had a conviction in Canada this would stop you travelling to other countries on holidays?

Now I can see the States not letting them in for certain things but on the whole does Canada stop you travelling if you have a conviction.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with convictions.

Canada does not admit, even on a tourist basis, people who have had convictions. If someone who has had a conviction wants to travel to Canada, they first have to go through the criminal rehabilitation process.

I think there are several other countries that do not automatically admit people with past convictions. I know that Australia is one of the countries that does not automatically admit people with criminal records, regardless of the impression one may have gained from history.
x
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:09 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Canada does not admit, even on a tourist basis, people who have had convictions. If someone who has had a conviction wants to travel to Canada, they first have to go through the criminal rehabilitation process.

I think there are several other countries that do not automatically admit people with past convictions. I know that Australia is one of the countries that does not automatically admit people with criminal records, regardless of the impression one may have gained from history.
x
That wasn't really the question. He/she was asking about being able to leave Canada. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is quite specific on this point, although I would imagine that some individuals migh lose that particular right.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

x
I thought you HAD to have a conviction to enter Australia... or have they stopped that
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:07 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That wasn't really the question. He/she was asking about being able to leave Canada. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is quite specific on this point, although I would imagine that some individuals migh lose that particular right.

Yip, you got it the right way round thanks...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I misunderstood the original question.

The Frequently Asked Questions section of Passport Canada's website includes the following question and answer:

Can I travel with a criminal record?

All countries have special entry requirements. As these requirements are subject to change, you may wish to consult the nearest diplomatic mission of the country you intend to visit.

It says nothing about Canadian authorities stopping anyone from leaving Canada.

One does not go through any Canadian border formalities when one flies out of Canada. For that reason alone, it didn't seem likely to me that Canada was in the habit of preventing people with convictions from leaving.
x
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:47 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If a Canadian wishes to leave Canada and has a criminal record they may not be issued with a passport in certain circumstances. Anyone else can leave of course but then may have a problem on re-entry depending again on circumstances so consult a lawyer for proper guidance.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:13 am
Ontario

Thanks for the advice, I can stop thinking they are crazy in what they told me..

Never thought you would be stopped in leaving your country to go on hoildays (meaning getting passports ect)
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

I always think it's amazing when you hear of all these 'celebrities' who jaunt all over the world with their numerous convictions for drug offences, assault and whatever else they've done.

Think of George Michael, Amy Winehouse, Naomi Campbell etc. They never seem to have to answer the usual 'Have you ever been arrested' type questions. I take it that's because they are under the 'entertainer' category where these things don't apply?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by timballs
Think of George Michael, Amy Winehouse, Naomi Campbell etc.
To say nothing of George Walker Bush. But then Canada has an exemption for heads of state.
x
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

x
Australia does not impose the kind of blanket ban that Canada appears to operate.