Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travelling on Canadian passport to USA from UK?

Travelling on Canadian passport to USA from UK?

Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

KR2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travelling on Canadian passport to USA from UK?

Hello, not sure if this is the correct section on the forum.

I was born in Canada, and moved to the UK with my British parents when I was 3. Therefore, I have a Canadian passport that I have been using when I returned. Passport expired and then I got a British passport. However, I want to get a Canadian passport again but I have a few questions.

1) Can I travel from a UK airport (Belfast) to USA (Florida) using the Canadian passport?
2) Would I run into any problems, both sides of border control?
3) The ESTA that I need to get - I can still get an ESTA using a Canadian passport and this won't have any problems?

Just worried as I'm trying to get all my travel documents ready for the summer.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling on Canadian passport to USA from UK?

Canadians don't need an ESTA, and I wouldn't expect any problems traveling from the UK to USA. Just take your UK passport in case they ask why you're arriving from the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling on Canadian passport to USA from UK?

Shouldn't be an issue. However, you might want to wait before getting your Canadian passport. The new ePassports will be available starting July 1st 2013. A 10 year adult passport will also be an option (currently Canadian passports are only valid for 5 years).

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/eppt/about.aspx?lang=eng

Check the current and the new fees though before making a decision. Also, fees are different depending on whether you apply from inside or outside Canada.

Current fees:
http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/section6....&region=Canada

New fees (July 1st 2013):
http://www.pptc.gc.ca/publications/c....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 28th 2013 at 3:39 pm.