Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Canada to UK with expiring passport

Travelling from Canada to UK with expiring passport

Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

mikey_c_9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling from Canada to UK with expiring passport

Hey guys, currently residing in Canada and have flights booked for a trip back to the UK on Sep 22nd.

We didn't notice but the wife's UK passport expires on Sep 25th, will she still be ok to travel back on that passport?

We will have to do a fast-track renewal whilst back there to get her a new one.

I thought as it's still a 'valid' passport, it will be OK to travel with, but the wife is a bit worried

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling from Canada to UK with expiring passport

As its a UK passport and you are travelling back to the UK it shouldn't be a problem. UK rules state that the passport must be valid for the length of the trip when entering the UK. As she is a UK citizen she has the right to stay for as long as she wants.
Now how the airline will treat it then thats a different matter but it is still valid.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

mikey_c_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Former Lancastrian!

Also, we have a newborn who will be travelling on a Canadian passport but won't have a UK one. I take it we will just line-up at the non-EU line?

We were planning on getting his passport done whilst we are back there using the fast-track application.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey_c_9

Also, we have a newborn who will be travelling on a Canadian passport but won't have a UK one. I take it we will just line-up at the non-EU line?

We were planning on getting his passport done whilst we are back there using the fast-track application.
From all accounts use the UK passport/ EU line if travelling as a family regardless if 1 family member doesn't have a UK passport.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife is fine to use her British passport. It would be a good idea to renew whilst you're in the UK if you have enough time. Your daughter can travel on her Canadian passport if you're only visiting. Again it would be a good idea to get her British passport whilst you're there providing there's enough time. As Former Lancastrian mentioned most Immigration Officers won't take exception if you use the EU line if both parents have valid British passports and the child does not.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Canadian passport and my wife a British one. We have been told (and do) we can use either the UK/EU line or the 'Other passports' line as we choose, as long as we both go to the booth together.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:26 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you had to have six months left at time of travel or is that UK propaganda to stop everyone renewing at the last minute?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I thought you had to have six months left at time of travel or is that UK propaganda to stop everyone renewing at the last minute?
Nothing to do with the UK. The six month rule does apply to certain countries if you're travelling there as a visitor on a British citizen passport but it doesn't apply to any EU countries, the US, Hong Kong, Canada, New Zealand or Australia. It does apply to transit countries like the UAE and Singapore though even if you're just changing flights. If in doubt check the 'entry requirements' for the country in question on the FCO Foreign Travel Advice website.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is country dependent upon entering that country not where your passport is issued by.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From all accounts use the UK passport/ EU line if travelling as a family regardless if 1 family member doesn't have a UK passport.
Probably officer dependent. My Canadian partner and I have been firmly told we should present together at at the non-EU line. But that was at Bristol airport, where I've yet to find an either pleasant, or multi-brain celled officer (I was particularly entertained by the one interrogating me, on a UK passport on a flight from Brussels how long I'd be staying).
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey_c_9

am sure do not need to say but to use the fast track book the appointment asap as expect they get booked up. Personally i would pay the for the same day service to be sure to avoid postal delays.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PB65
am sure do not need to say but to use the fast track book the appointment asap as expect they get booked up. Personally i would pay the for the same day service to be sure to avoid postal delays.
The fast track service isn't available for first time applicants.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Probably officer dependent. My Canadian partner and I have been firmly told we should present together at at the non-EU line.
We were told the opposite at Heathrow (more precisely, they said we could use either).
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Despite what Former Lancastrian said, some airlines do say they will not board you if you do not have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the date of return.

The airlines want to be sure that they do not have to pay for your return trip to wherever.

Air Canada was doing that ........

........ I personally would always check with the airline as to whether they will board you with a UK passport that will expire 2 days after you arrive in the UK, with no guarantee for them that it will be renewed.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The fast track service isn't available for first time applicants.
true but as per OP this is a renewal and having reread the OP myself the OP said they were planning use fasttrack anyway so all good. Dont think the OP was planning to get a UK one for the new born on this trip as they have a Canadian passport and as you say cannot fast track an initial one just seemed focussed on the wifes near expiry UK one.

Last edited by PB65; Sep 19th 2016 at 5:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.