Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Canada with Police Caution

Wikiposts

Travelling to Canada with Police Caution

Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Canada with Police Caution

Personally I wouldn't agree with that. Using that logic you can smuggle a couple of packs of cocaine in, but as long as you don't get asked about them you've not broken the law!

Here is the CIC info about visitor requirements and criminal inadmissibility, just in case you haven't seen it - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...conviction.asp

Good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

n1cholas90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, have already had a read through.

It really is just this grey area surrounding cautions that i'm trying to find a definitive answer on, but thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:08 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

On the immigration/customs form I don't recall being asked asked to declare if you are criminally inadmissible to Canada for any reason. So I can see that it would boil down to simply being asked by an immigration officer or not.

I visited Canada a good few times before we moved over. Never once was I asked if I had been a naughty boy at any time in my life.
If you look shifty, nervous, drugged up! then I guess you'll likely be homed in on. Luckily I rarely fit that bill Other triggers that seems to flag people and get them hauled into secondary is carrying way too much gear (with nothing to declare) or.. food & drugs or having been near drugs recently. Sniffer dogs sometimes come into play whilst you are waiting for your bags.

I've watched a good few of the CBSA border patrol shows on TV (Yeah, sad I know ) The bulk of the shows are based at YVR. The visitors that seem to get tossed back out of Canada are those that have a history but lie from the outset. Those that may be borderline, in the eyes of the immigration officer, but have been truthful from the start generally seem to be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed in. Sometimes for a shorter period than 6 months (visa exempt countries) but more often than not (the ones aired on TV at least) seem to get in by simply being honest.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:10 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n1cholas90
Thanks, have already had a read through.

It really is just this grey area surrounding cautions that i'm trying to find a definitive answer on, but thanks.
Not sure you'll find a definitive answer. As (I think) FL wrote.... different CBSA officers may interpret this (grey'ish) law in different ways.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:11 am
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Personally I wouldn't agree with that. Using that logic you can smuggle a couple of packs of cocaine in, but as long as you don't get asked about them you've not broken the law!

We all break the law. Show me a driver has never driven 5km/hr over the speed limit. Doesn't mean you should pull into the nearest police station and tell them though? Of course if you are stopped and asked by a copper if you were speeding that's a different matter.

I'd not volunteer anything unless asked by CBSA or required to put something in writing. IMHO there is no law broken by not declaring something you are not required voluntarily declare.

Last edited by james.mc; Nov 29th 2013 at 10:15 am.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much! That's the kind of answer that fills me with a whole lot of hope!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't need to stay for a length of six months anyway, this trip will be nothing more than a long weekend break!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:22 am
All Sooked up!

I wouldn't need to stay for a length of six months anyway, this trip will be nothing more than a long weekend break!
Also, make sure you have a valid return ticket for the day you say you want to leave. That'll work in your favour if questioned. You're highly unlikely to be questioned anyway, but always worth having solid facts to back up your answers should it happen.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Yes of course, I'll have the information of where I'm staying and my return ticket home! Thanks for the reassurance, very much appreciated.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:40 am
All Sooked up!

Yes of course, I'll have the information of where I'm staying and my return ticket home! Thanks for the reassurance, very much appreciated.
You're welcome
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We have visited Canada many times on holiday - never asked about criminal activity.

When we applied at POE for our work visas we were asked. We said no we hadn't been arrested and she didn't check the system to see if we were telling the truth (we were!)

Not that that helps but I don't think it's usual to be asked if you are coming in for a short break is it?