Travelling before PR card arrives

Old Apr 26th 2018, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

JayUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling before PR card arrives

Hello, I think I've read the answer to this before, but haven't managed to re-find the threads now that I'm in the situation to confirm...

We're flying to Vancouver May 15th for my husband to land with his COPR. We've got a family birthday in Las Vegas as the beginning of June... we'll be flying out of either Bellingham or Seattle... am I right in thinking that we should be okay to drive back across the border at the end of the trip because even though he won't have his PR card yet, the border officials will be able to look up his status and let him in?

thanks!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling before PR card arrives

Hi

Originally Posted by JayUK
Hello, I think I've read the answer to this before, but haven't managed to re-find the threads now that I'm in the situation to confirm...

We're flying to Vancouver May 15th for my husband to land with his COPR. We've got a family birthday in Las Vegas as the beginning of June... we'll be flying out of either Bellingham or Seattle... am I right in thinking that we should be okay to drive back across the border at the end of the trip because even though he won't have his PR card yet, the border officials will be able to look up his status and let him in?

thanks!

1. As long as you are driving across the border, fine. But make life easier for the CBSA officer and yourself by carrying his COPR, better chance you won't have to go into secondary to confirm his PR status.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

... and driving in a private non commercial vehicle like your car or a hire car.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 26th 2018 at 10:09 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

If travelling with the COPR (which in my case was stapled into my passport anyway) you should not need to go into secondary. I did it a few times before I had my PR card.

Remember you will probably need to go into secondary on US side on the drive down to get an I94W so factor this extra time in if catching a flight and remember to hand back your I94W as you leave if you wont use it again within the 3 month expiry.