Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travelling after citizenship but without Passport

Travelling after citizenship but without Passport

Old Oct 15th 2022, 7:44 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling after citizenship but without Passport

Hi all,

I received my citizenship certificate a few weeks ago (many thanks to all on here that were a huge help along the way). I have not submitted for a passport yet as I have had a bunch else going on. Unfortunately, my grandfather in Scotland passed away on Thursday and I have booked to go back for the funeral. I was thinking to take my citizenship certificate with me for proof when re-entering Canada but wondered if this was needed as its not something I want to have damaged along the way. Could anyone please provide clarity on the requirement there?

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling after citizenship but without Passport

I’m really sorry up hear about your grandfather.

I’m afraid I’m going to add to your stress, as a citizen you have to enter Canada using a Canadian passport, the law changed in 2016 and now you can’t enter on your British passport with just a certificate. You’ll need to get a temporary passport or special authorisation to be able to board the plane back to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

I hope you can get it sorted, and my condolences for your loss.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 15th 2022 at 9:17 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:23 pm
PottsyJ

I don't have that time. I found out on Friday morning and travel tomorrow. Can I just re-enter as a visitor using my British passport if I only travel using that?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
I don't have that time. I found out on Friday morning and travel tomorrow. Can I just re-enter as a visitor using my British passport if I only travel using that?

Thanks.
No. British citizens boarding a plane to Canada must complete an ETA. As a Canadian citizen you cannot apply for an ETA. Without an ETA the airline will not allow you to board a plane to Canada. All new Canadian citizens should apply for a Canadian PP as soon as they receive their certificate.

You could enter the US, then try to enter Canada by road. You may be lucky, or you may not…
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:35 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No. British citizens boarding a plane to Canada must complete an ETA. As a Canadian citizen you cannot apply for an ETA. Without an ETA the airline will not allow you to board a plane to Canada. All new Canadian citizens should apply for a Canadian PP as soon as they receive their certificate.

You could enter the US, then try to enter Canada by road. You may be lucky, or you may not…
I only received my certificate a few weeks ago and hadn't had the time to process passport with all this going on with my grandfather and starting a new job (also didnt anticipate leaving Canada until middle of next year). Given processing time for Canadians at present, wouldn't have had a chance of getting it in time for this trip.

I looked up from the link christmasoompa sent and there's a special authorization form that can be filled out for exactly these situations so will do that.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:45 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I’m really sorry up hear about your grandfather.

I’m afraid I’m going to add to your stress, as a citizen you have to enter Canada using a Canadian passport, the law changed in 2016 and now you can’t enter on your British passport with just a certificate. You’ll need to get a temporary passport or special authorisation to be able to board the plane back to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

I hope you can get it sorted, and my condolences for your loss.
Thank you Christmasoompa. I have submitted the special authorization form. Do you happen to know processing time for those? I am due back here on the 23rd October.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 9:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Christmasoompa. I have submitted the special authorization form. Do you happen to know processing time for those? I am due back here on the 23rd October.

Thanks again.
Unless it has changed, it is only sent to an address within Canada. One would hope it’s electronic but Canada seems to be a little behind. Best bet is to use an overnight courier service. From recent experience mail to the UK can take a week or two.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:00 pm
PottsyJ

If I remember correctly it is only sent to an address within Canada. One would hope it’s electronic but Canada seems to be a little behind. Best bet is to use an overnight courier service. From recent experience mail to the UK can take a week or two.
Hi Jerseygirl,

Its fully electronic but even with that it seems like it can take up to 10 days to process. Ridiculous given what its supposed to be used for. Either way, worry I could have been doing without and just when I thought having citizenship removes any worry of travelling....
Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Jerseygirl,

Its fully electronic but even with that it seems like it can take up to 10 days to process. Ridiculous given what its supposed to be used for. Either way, worry I could have been doing without and just when I thought having citizenship removes any worry of travelling....
Electronic is good.

I am a U.S. citizen and must leave and enter the US using my US PP.

Maybe worth checking if the same applies to Canadian citizens.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:26 pm
PottsyJ

Electronic is good.

I am a U.S. citizen and must leave and enter the US using my US PP.

Maybe worth checking if the same applies to Canadian citizens.
I am not sure if it is the nature of my application (needing to be home for funeral) but they processed it already and got approval.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:27 pm
PottsyJ

Thanks again.
Update: Already received approval. Thank you so much, you have saved me and my family from a lot of worry during an already tough time.

Last edited by Joepottinger; Oct 15th 2022 at 10:28 pm. Reason: Further added sentence
Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Update: Already received approval. Thank you so much, you have saved me and my family from a lot of worry during an already tough time.

Fantastic.

My condolences for your loss. It is very difficult when you lose a close relative and live so far away.