Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travel from UK - No PR Cards Please Help!

Wikiposts

Travel from UK - No PR Cards Please Help!

Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel from UK - No PR Cards Please Help!

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Do you really need to tell them about PR?? just us your passport as a tourist!
Yes - but the officials in Canada would most likely ask if you had a return ticket to go back to the UK, or why you don't have a return ticket. You will lie when you answer them - and there starts the slippery slope! Would not be good to get caught out and end up coughing "well, actually, I do live here, but I don't have a PR card, and I only lied at first 'cos I thought it would be easier to say I was a visitor, and, and, and ...... "
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought scottymallo meant do you have to tell the airline. There's no point lying to the Immigration people - you're a PR with proof, they let you in...

I wouldn't announce my cardless-PR-status to any airline except Air Canada though unless asked, that was the gist of my previous post.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Nov 19th 2008 at 12:48 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I ve used KLM NWA and BA in the past just showed them the photo page of GB passport with bording card no further questions asked this is for a return package though, guess they might question a one way ticket more!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Yes - but the officials in Canada would most likely ask if you had a return ticket to go back to the UK, or why you don't have a return ticket. You will lie when you answer them - and there starts the slippery slope! Would not be good to get caught out and end up coughing "well, actually, I do live here, but I don't have a PR card, and I only lied at first 'cos I thought it would be easier to say I was a visitor, and, and, and ...... "
You don't need to lie to officials in Canada. Just tell them you are a PR and show a copy of your landing document, they can look up all the rest in the system.

Legally, they cannot refuse entry to a person who is a permanent resident, even without a PR Card.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mzp
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going back to canada on dec 10th and dont have my pr card yet. unreal. daughters and husbands has turned up, not mine and i was the flipping principal applicant. anyway..
i called air transat today as i'm pretty worried about this. i've only got a 1 way ticket from glasgow. was politely but firmly told that if i dont have my pr card then they wouldnt let me board the plane. the problem isnt at customs/immigration at the canadian airport - it's actually getting on the plane.
seriously thinking of booking another ticket from yyz to glasgow just to make sure i dont get any hassle.
With Air Canada you probably wouldn't have any problem.

However, charter airlines are stricter about return tickets because a. they usually only cater to tourists (who almost always have return tickets) and b. they only have a limited flight schedule so dealing with people refused entry on arrival is a lot more problematic.

Your alternative to having a return ticket (and you would need to be sure the airline would accept it) is to apply for a Travel Document:
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/return/e_return.htm
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

i wasnt intending people to lie was just meaning you dont need to flaunt that you are a PR without a card! You only need to mention your a PR if they question your single trip and i guess you would be unlucky as a GB passport usually does the trick! As most people have quoted now they will just check the system and let you through!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

hchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses! I feel a lot more confident about travelling now about what to do. Didn't fancy spending Christmas in Gatwick airport!
Thanks again
Hchy.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mzp
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going back to canada on dec 10th and dont have my pr card yet. unreal. daughters and husbands has turned up, not mine and i was the flipping principal applicant. anyway..
i called air transat today as i'm pretty worried about this. i've only got a 1 way ticket from glasgow. was politely but firmly told that if i dont have my pr card then they wouldnt let me board the plane. the problem isnt at customs/immigration at the canadian airport - it's actually getting on the plane.
seriously thinking of booking another ticket from yyz to glasgow just to make sure i dont get any hassle.
Contact the high commission in London...explain your situation. I'm sure they can issue you with the necessary temporary travel visa that will allow you to travel to Canada without your PR card.