Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travel outside Canada on work permit and just approved for PR

Travel outside Canada on work permit and just approved for PR

Old Mar 22nd 2023, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel outside Canada on work permit and just approved for PR

Hi

My family and I are on a work permit and have resided in Canada for nearly 2 years. I applied for PR under CEC and after 3 months was just approved!

I have paid for a trip to the USA which may happen before we get our PR cards.

Can I re-enter Canada from the USA by plane using the work permits? At which point does our status change to PR?? I am hoping we can travel and return on the work permits even though the PR cards are being processed.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel outside Canada on work permit and just approved for PR

Congrats!

I'm a little confused, as you mention PR cards being processed but then ask about when you become PR's. So exactly what stage are you at? Have you actually 'landed' as PR's and applied for your cards? Or are you still waiting to enter Canada and activate your PR status?
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were landed virtually (because you're in Canada), and have received eCOPR but not your PR Cards, you won't be able to board a plane back to Canada (unless you are US citizens).

You can enter via the land border in a private vehicle with your COPRs. Or you can apply at the visa office for a PRTD, but if it's just a holiday, I'd wait for your PR Cards or come back via the land border.

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 22nd 2023 at 9:30 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Congrats!

I'm a little confused, as you mention PR cards being processed but then ask about when you become PR's. So exactly what stage are you at? Have you actually 'landed' as PR's and applied for your cards? Or are you still waiting to enter Canada and activate your PR status?
Yes we have landed and we are on a 3 year work permit. While here in Canada I waited until I had 1 year work experience and applied under CEC.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If you were landed virtually (because you're in Canada), and have received eCOPR but not your PR Cards, you won't be able to board a plane back to Canada (unless you are US citizens).

You can enter via the land border in a private vehicle with your COPRs. Or you can apply at the visa office for a PRTD, but if it's just a holiday, I'd wait for your PR Cards or come back via the land border.
OK Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 7:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabularasa
Yes we have landed and we are on a 3 year work permit. While here in Canada I waited until I had 1 year work experience and applied under CEC.
Sorry but still not clear. 'Landed' is a term specific to PR, so when you say you've landed, you mean you've entered using your COPR and got PR status? If so, you're already PR's, the card is just proof of that status and not the status itself. So in which case, as Snowy has said, you either need a PRTD to return to Canada if you don't have the card yet, or you need to cross the land border.

If however when you said 'landed' you meant entered and got your work permits, then you're not PR's yet. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 23rd 2023 at 7:46 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

However, if you have already been landed virtually and received your eCOPRs, online via the Portal, you are already Permanent Residents. This is now the case for many applicants in Canada. They don't have to reenter Canada to become Permanent Residents. But they do have to have received their eCOPR online.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/pr-confirmation-portal.html

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 23rd 2023 at 3:28 pm.