Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

travel documents (permanent resident abroad)

travel documents (permanent resident abroad)

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:41 am
Just Joined

The Duck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travel documents (permanent resident abroad)

Hello
I wonder if anybody can help please.
I am looking to travel down to the CHC in London next week for them to process my travel documents (permanent resident abroad) for myself, wife and two kids. The question I have is will they process the documents the same day and in the case on my wife will she need to be present at the CHC in order for them to process her travel document or can I do it by myself ? Getting a bit nervous as I am flying back to Canada to stay in June, gulp !

Thanks for your advice in advance

Gary
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel documents (permanent resident abroad)

Originally Posted by The Duck
Hello
I wonder if anybody can help please.
I am looking to travel down to the CHC in London next week for them to process my travel documents (permanent resident abroad) for myself, wife and two kids. The question I have is will they process the documents the same day and in the case on my wife will she need to be present at the CHC in order for them to process her travel document or can I do it by myself ? Getting a bit nervous as I am flying back to Canada to stay in June, gulp !

Thanks for your advice in advance

Gary
Hi Gary have you looked in the Wiki at the top and also the CIC website ?
others will probably help as they wake up ( in Canada )
wish you luck
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure the T-Ds are necessary? A visa waiver passport and the long ROLF/ IMM0001 paper form should be enough for the immigration officerat the point of landing, they can easily check details, although they may grumble about it. If you all landed fairly recently and its just a case of not having received PR cards yet its a formality. If its been a while andd questions over meeting the 2/5 year requirement could come up then it might be worth getting the documents from an immigration point of view.

If its just "You need the card to board the flight" then with british passports I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 23rd 2010 at 12:51 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

The Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback
I landed in Sept 2008.
My worry is if we hit a problem when we land Canada, and that i dont know if its worth the risk ??
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Duck
Thanks for the feedback
I landed in Sept 2008.
My worry is if we hit a problem when we land Canada, and that i dont know if its worth the risk ??
As three years have not passed yet since landing, your PR status cant possibly have lapsed, so although they may give you a hard time about not having the PR card, they have no reason to refuse anyone entry.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by iaink
As three years have not passed yet since landing, your PR status cant possibly have lapsed, so although they may give you a hard time about not having the PR card, they have no reason to refuse anyone entry.
The problem the OP may have, is that if they have 1 way tickets and no PR card, the airline may refuse to board them.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The problem the OP may have, is that if they have 1 way tickets and no PR card, the airline may refuse to board them.
Yes, although there is no reason to think its any more of a risk for a returning PR with a UK passport than a visitor with a UK passport is there?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes, although there is no reason to think its any more of a risk for a returning PR with a UK passport than a visitor with a UK passport is there?
There is also a good chance that a visitor on a one-way ticket is going to be refused boarding as well. The airlines don't like picking up the tab for the return flight if the person is refused.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

There is also a good chance that a visitor on a one-way ticket is going to be refused boarding as well. The airlines don't like picking up the tab for the return flight if the person is refused.
Aye, thats a given. But really how often is a visitor on a visa waiver passport refused anyway, other than for things that would exclude them anyway, like a criminal record or lack of financial support that the airline would not know about anyway? Isnt that the whole point of waiving the need for a visa for travelers from certain countries?

Last edited by iaink; Apr 23rd 2010 at 5:24 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Aye, thats a given. But really how often is a visitor on a visa waiver passport refused anyway, other than for things that would exclude them anyway, like a criminal record or lack of financial support that the airline would not know about anyway? Isnt that the whole point of waiving the need for a visa for travelers from certain countries?
One of the requirements of a visitor is the ability to leave Canada.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

So a one way ticket plus money/ credit card then. Surely many tourists come on extended stays on one way tickets as they may not know exactly when they want to leave...gap year students that kind of thing.. not the regular two week vacationers...
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It's pretty well established that a return ticket is not a mandatory legal requirement (unlike for the USA visa waiver program, for example) so airlines refusing transport on this basis may be on shaky legal ground.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's pretty well established that a return ticket is not a mandatory legal requirement (unlike for the USA visa waiver program, for example) so airlines refusing transport on this basis may be on shaky legal ground.
So you are suggesting that a visitor with a one-way ticket argue it out at the gate with the airline that they should be allowed to board?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

So you are suggesting that a visitor with a one-way ticket argue it out at the gate with the airline that they should be allowed to board?
I'm suggesting that sooner or later an airline is going to get sued if they sell a ticket and then try to back out of it at the last moment.

But we do know that one-way tickets are used from time to time, are you suggesting it never happens?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm suggesting that sooner or later an airline is going to get sued if they sell a ticket and then try to back out of it at the last moment.

But we do know that one-way tickets are used from time to time, are you suggesting it never happens?
No, I am not suggesting it never happens, but a lot of people have been refused boarding without proof of status in Canada, when they attempt to fly on a one-way ticket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.