Travel document

Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel document

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Mexico was a 'Third World' country during the Cold War, i.e. non-aligned. If you're referring to its current level of development then it will depend on which metrics you use but neither the UN nor the IMF consider it to be a 'first world' country (very high HDI/advanced economy).
I was referring to poverty rate which is something like 52% in Mexico which equates to 65 million people in poverty ,double the popuation of Canada or the whole of UK population. One of the other problems Mexico has, being stuck as a 3rd world country is primary and high school education. When a teachers job becomes vacant through retirement or death ,their position is passed on to a member of THEIR family,brother,sister ,son or daughter even if they have NO experience or qualifications in teaching!
Old Jun 28th 2018, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE

The information provided was incorrect. My son could have applied for a travel document in Dublin. So he lost 6 days that could have been used towards his travel document processing time.
Instead it looks like he will have to wave his girlfriend off at the airport unless he is lucky enough to get the document before his midday flight tomorrow. This is highly unlikely.
It means in turn that he will have to buy another ticket when it eventually comes through. Who knows how long he will have to wait.

I have decided therefore that I am not going to ask for advice on here anymore. This has caused my son and his girlfriend a lot of anxiety and ultimately money.

From now on I think I will only participate in the Maple Leaf chats.

Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
UPDATE

The information provided was incorrect. My son could have applied for a travel document in Dublin. So he lost 6 days that could have been used towards his travel document processing time.
Instead it looks like he will have to wave his girlfriend off at the airport unless he is lucky enough to get the document before his midday flight tomorrow. This is highly unlikely.
It means in turn that he will have to buy another ticket when it eventually comes through. Who knows how long he will have to wait.

I have decided therefore that I am not going to ask for advice on here anymore. This has caused my son and his girlfriend a lot of anxiety and ultimately money.

From now on I think I will only participate in the Maple Leaf chats.

I did suggest that he apply online / by mail to the VAC in London as soon as he got to Dublin on June 15th (post number 4) and again on June 17th (post number 12).

https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12516676

https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12517428

According to RCIC for Ireland you need to apply to the VAC in London
Submitting your application
Where to submit your application for a permanent resident travel document

Ireland

You can submit your application to the recommended visa application centre (VAC) and:
  • receive service in the local language;
  • take advantage of their extended hours of service;
  • track your application online; and
  • have the assurance that your application is complete and is sent to the correct visa office.
If you need to submit your application in person, you can go to the closest VAC.

Sorry to hear that he waited and it resulted in him being out of pocket and distressed.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 28th 2018 at 4:38 am.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I did suggest that he apply online / by mail to the VAC in London as soon as he got to Dublin on June 15th (post number 4) and again on June 17th (post number 12).

https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12516676

https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12517428

According to RCIC for Ireland you need to apply to the VAC in London
Submitting your application
Where to submit your application for a permanent resident travel document

Ireland

You can submit your application to the recommended visa application centre (VAC) and:
  • receive service in the local language;
  • take advantage of their extended hours of service;
  • track your application online; and
  • have the assurance that your application is complete and is sent to the correct visa office.
If you need to submit your application in person, you can go to the closest VAC.

Sorry to hear that he waited and it resulted in him being out of pocket and distressed.

He could have literally applied to Dublin. Not by mail. They would have processed it. Right now he is totally breaking down in panic because he has to stay while girlfriend flies home.
If he had applied he would have received his travel document by now.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:09 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

He could have literally applied to Dublin. Not by mail. They would have processed it. Right now he is totally breaking down in panic because he has to stay while girlfriend flies home.
You do realise that everyone here is a volunteer, right? They're not your personal immigration consultants and most people, barring one or two, only have info that is freely available online a bit of their own experience to work from. You also seemed to gloss over advice from one or two members at a couple of points during the thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry the situation has worked out this way for you and your son but you really could have researched and planned this better from your end. Nobody else is responsible.

​​​​
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

...and if he'd waited until he had the correct immigration documents before recklessly booking his ticket he would have been fine.

If you want to tell someone off because you don't think you've been given the advice you want, I'd suggest that next time you need help you engage an immigration lawyer. At least they're paid to listen to recriminations.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
...and if he'd waited until he had the correct immigration documents before recklessly booking his ticket he would have been fine.

If you want to tell someone off because you don't think you've been given the advice you want, I'd suggest that next time you need help you engage an immigration lawyer. At least they're paid to listen to recriminations.
Youre so funny, you know that?

The processing of renewals is getting longer and longer which is plain ridiculous. When he applied 3 1/2 months before his trip the processing time was 74 days. By the time he flew it was 114. So that’s reckless is it? I didn’t realize my son should have been able to predict that immigration would do sod all and increase the processing time by 30 days.

Do you you know that is nearly as quick now to apply for citizenship as it is a simple PR card renewal?

The whole thing is a shambles and makes PRs in Canada nothing more than second class citizens.

So instead of judging my son and deciding he is he is not worthy of empathy but only contempt perhaps it would help if you knew the facts!

I think this might be my last post on BEs. I’ve been on here for something like 9 years and always felt I contributed well but obviously like many others I’m starting to find that this site really doesn’t do it for me anymore!

Goodbye
Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:09 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing is a shambles and makes PRs in Canada nothing more than second class citizens.
I think the point is that PR's aren't citizens at all. They're still just foreign residence permit holders, albeit the most coveted, most privileged and highly regarded category of them.

Personally I agree with you on many of the things you've said. PR card renewals shouldn't take as long as they seem to take these days but at the same time Canada's numbers of people on PR status are probably extremely high in 2018 due to the ongoing recruitment of new immigrants. The eTA system also causes a myriad of new additional and highly avoidable issues for immigrants from non-visa countries which didn't exist a few years ago. Sadly, the only way to avoid this kind of situation is to naturalise as a citizen.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Do you you know that is nearly as quick now to apply for citizenship as it is a simple PR card renewal?
And therein lies the answer.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, who's told him he could have applied in Dublin and how/where would he have done? As Siouxie has said, CIC themselves state applications have to be processed in London, plus Dublin doesn't have a VAC (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...814.1504684497).

FWIW, I agree with the above suggestions that if you want completely accurate immi advice, then an immi lawyer is the way to go - at least then you have some comeback if they get it wrong. I don't think anybody was giving you duff info, they simply used the CIC website to try and help you find an answer, if CIC don't have info about applying in Dublin on the website, then I don't see how that's BE members fault tbh.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2018 at 1:13 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is nowhere on the CIC website nor anywhere else that shows how or where a PRTD could be applied for IN Dublin.

Even on the Dublin Consular Website it makes no mention other than a link to their 'Visa and Immigration Services' - which goes to the Visa office in LONDON. Believe me, I checked several times prior to posting about the VAC originally...

Embassy of Canada to Ireland, in Dublin

I don't see that it is anyone on BE's fault nor do I believe anyone gave you incorrect information. It's up to you to read and verify that the information is accurate and appropriate for your situation. Your son could have emailed or phoned the Canadian Embassy / Consulate in Dublin when he arrived and asked if they could issue one, could he not?

Had he applied online or by mail to the VAC as soon as he had arrived in Dublin (as I kept suggesting) he would have had the PRTD in time for his flight.

Regardless, I'm sorry that he didn't manage to get it in time for his flight. Lesson learned by him, I suspect - don't travel without having a PR card or Canadian Passport - or without having done due diligence prior to your trip if you have neither!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 28th 2018 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

When I was making enquires about applying for PRTD I called the VAC and they told me I could send application there or if I wanted it done quicker I could apply personally at the embassy/ high commision /consulate etc. When I posted this info I got slapped down for giving wrong info. As I said not everything you read in internet is 100% correct.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Youre so funny, you know that?

Thanks, I've often been complimented on my good sense of humour
Old Jun 29th 2018, 5:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by neilcumming
When I was making enquires about applying for PRTD I called the VAC and they told me I could send application there or if I wanted it done quicker I could apply personally at the embassy/ high commision /consulate etc. When I posted this info I got slapped down for giving wrong info. As I said not everything you read in internet is 100% correct.
That's fair enough but the information on the VAC's own website should be correct and it's a huge shame that it isn't really.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 11:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
...the information on the VAC's own website should be correct and it's a huge shame that it isn't really.
I'm not excusing it but errors and contradictions in government/official information over here seem to be fairly common, along with little or no accountability...and, sometimes, even failure to correct the published information when known.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.