Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travel to Canada before work permit approval?

Travel to Canada before work permit approval?

Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

CapeBretonBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to Canada before work permit approval?

Hi folks,

So I'm going through AIP immigration process to Nova Scotia with my partner (common-law) accompanying me.

We are just waiting for endorsement by NS Immigration before I apply for a work permit (from the UK).

My questions is....
We are considering travelling to Canada before the work permit is issued.

According to the federal site, you can have the work permit approved if you are in Canada but have applied from outside Canada, you just need to leave and return and show your Letter of Introduction to have the work permit issued at port of entry.

Has anyone else done this?

My slight concern is that border officials may be a bit funny about us arriving on an ETA with all our worldly belongings without work permit approval yet.

Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts/experiences )
Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to Canada before work permit approval?

You can visit but I certainly wouldn't rock up with all your worldly goods and try to enter as visitors - you'd be risking being refused entry if the immigration officer thinks you're trying to stay without the requisite visa (which is what you are trying to do from the sounds of it!). And then you'd have that on your record which may impact your work permit/PR app.

So unless you plan to just visit (with travel insurance, a return ticket, and normal luggage), I wouldn't risk it personally.

Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

CapeBretonBound is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously we wouldn't stay beyond the ETA validity if the work permit wasn't approved (though we don't have any doubt that it won't) but I appreciate immigration officials may not see it that way even if we do have a return ticket etc.

Thanks for your thoughts - and to be honest, they we mine too
Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CapeBretonBound
Obviously we wouldn't stay beyond the ETA validity if the work permit wasn't approved (though we don't have any doubt that it won't) but I appreciate immigration officials may not see it that way
There are some visa routes that are 'dual intent', and would allow you to enter as a visitor whilst waiting for a decision on another visa app (and to then stay if that visa app is granted). Unfortunately, the work permit isn't one of them.

So you'd be asking to be allowed entry as a visitor, and only be assessed on that basis. You may get a generous CBSA officer but it's a risk I wouldn't take personally. I'd just wait in the UK until you know for sure you have the work permit in hand.

Good luck.