Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)

Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)

Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on translations of passport stamps. If you see my other thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...idence-907039/), you'll see why I need to do this.

It says:
Passports - attach colour photopcopies of ALL pages, including blank pages, of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled/expired) that yo have used or have been issued to you during the relevant period.

All documents, including passport stamps, visas and permits that are not in English or French must be accompanied by the English or French translation and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation. This includes any entries that fall outside of the period stated above.

*An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit . Translations by family members are NOT acceptable.

I've attached copies of the two stamps I have from somewhere not English or French.

I agree, it seems insane to have entry/exit stamps translated given the place and date are entirely clear, but the requirements seem pretty plain English to me, even if I don't think they make sense.

From these pictures, I would say the Cuba one doesn't need to be translated as it only has country, date and airport name.

However, the Mexico one does have that section in Spanish at the top, and at the bottom right (albeit that section is blurred on the stamp so can't be read anyway), so I guess they do need to be translated. The picture isn't entirely clear, but the top section of the Mexico one definitely is legible.

Can anyone confirm:
- Cuba stamp doesn't need translated
- Mexico stamp does need translated
- Perhaps the translator should just write something saying they can't translate the bottom right on Mexico stamp since it is illegible?

Thanks!

Graham.
Attached Thumbnails Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)-img-20171221-wa0000.jpeg   Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)-img-20171221-wa0002.jpeg  
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)

The translator will know how to handle the bit that's illegible (what to write).

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 21st 2017 at 2:49 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Translating Passport Stamps (citizenship application)

Originally Posted by Snowy560
The translator will know how to handle the bit that's illegible (what to write).
Thanks!

Have managed to find someone at my work that can translate (and she happens to be from Mexico so knows exactly what the section at the bottom says anyway), and another person authorized to do the oath piece, so I'm sorted :-)

Thanks!

Graham.