Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Transition from Temp to Perm - HELP

Transition from Temp to Perm - HELP

Old May 11th 2016, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Vickso21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transition from Temp to Perm - HELP

I moved to Canada from England on July 13th, 2014 on a 2 year student visa along with my husband who obtained an open work permit attached to my visa and our daughter who is now 8 and on a study permit and attends primary.

As part of my studies I am doing an 8 month co-op which means that I will not complete my studies before our visa's expire on July 31, 2016. I can apply for an extension to all of our permits as have a letter from the college to say that my studies will not be completed until December 31, 2016 at a cost of approx. $500.00. However, my husband has been employed since January 2015, initially on a contract basis until October and then he secured a permanent role.

We were informed by our immigration consultants that we are unable to apply for PR until he has been in a permanent position for 12 months (October, 2016)? We believe this to be incorrect as he has over 12 months work experience in Canada, even though not all of it was in a permanent role, he still has valid work experience even in the contract position.

We want to avoid taking multiple steps and having to pay multiple times to get to PR status and apply immediately but we are concerned about our current status expiring at the end of July and want to ensure that we will not be putting our status at risk if we apply for PR and do not apply for an extension.

Can/should we apply for both?
Is it possible to have 2 applications pending concurrently or will this complicate matters?
What will happen with our current status and SIN #'s if we do not have PR before they expire?

Any clear guidance would be very gratefully received as the stress of it all is tearing us apart

PLEASE HELP
Old May 11th 2016, 5:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transition from Temp to Perm - HELP

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Vickso21
We were informed by our immigration consultants that we are unable to apply for PR until he has been in a permanent position for 12 months (October, 2016)?
As you suspect, that's probably wrong - although it does depend on his job and the province you are in. What does he do and where are you?

I assume you're looking at the Canadian Experience Class, and that he's in a skilled job? Have you checked to see what he scores on the CRS? He'll need above approx 450-480 as a minimum to be selected and invited to apply for PR.

If not, then he'll either need his employer to apply for a LMIA for him, or to get provincial nomination, so that he can claim an extra 600 points and easily get selected.

Can/should we apply for both?
Yes. You probably won't even have applied for PR by July unless you've already got things like IELTS results, ECA etc? Usually it takes 2-3 months just to get the paperwork together to apply, if your husband is eligible now. So you'll need to make sure you can stay past July if that's your aim.

Is it possible to have 2 applications pending concurrently or will this complicate matters?
Absolutely fine.

What will happen with our current status and SIN #'s if we do not have PR before they expire?
Your status needs to be extended, and therefore presumably you can extend your SIN's too.

HTH a bit, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 11th 2016 at 5:45 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you. He works at user support technician (IT Helpdesk) at <company name removed> in Kelowna BC.

He is taking the IELTS on Saturday.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 11th 2016 at 6:03 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. He works at user support technician (IT Helpdesk) at <snip> in Kelowna BC.
I've removed the company name - just a bit too much personal info and might make him identifiable! Do you happen to know his NOC code? I'm assuming that would count as a Skilled Job, but not 100% sure.

Where you planning on applying via the Canadian Experience Class? Do you know what he scores on the CRS, is it enough to get PR now? If not, then he'll need to look at other visa options.

Worth noting just for the sake of anybody reading, that he could have applied for PR as soon as he was working in Canada if he did score enough, under the Federal Skilled Worker program, there was no need for him to wait for a year. That would also have had the advantage of you getting PR sooner and being able to switch from international tuition rates to local rates. It doesn't matter now, and hopefully he is eligible to apply now anyway, but just wanted to flag it up in case anybody in a similar situation reads this thread in the future.

He is taking the IELTS on Saturday.
Fab. Has he got his ECA yet? That's usually the bit that takes the time, depending on who he goes with it can take as long as 3-4 months to get.
Old May 11th 2016, 6:22 am
Just Joined

What is the ECA?
Old May 11th 2016, 6:23 am
Just Joined

NOC 2282
Old May 11th 2016, 6:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What is the ECA?
Have your education assessed — Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

NOC 2282
Skill Level B then, so yes, he's eligible to apply either under FSW or CEC - and hopefully he scores enough on the CRS to get PR.

Good luck!
Old May 11th 2016, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you sooooo much. It is nice just to get some straight answers :-)
Old May 11th 2016, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you sooooo much. It is nice just to get some straight answers :-)
No probs. There's usually somebody around that can help if you've got any queries, plenty of info on the forums that will hopefully help.

And if I were you, I'd get rid of your consultants, as it seems you know more than they do! If he's Skill Level B, then he could have applied for PR a year ago, not sure why they're telling you that you need to wait until October.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Do we both need to complete IELTS?
Old May 11th 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

My husband does not have post secondary education and therefore I do not believe that he qualifies for 'Skilled worker' but I don't believe this stops him from qualifying under CEC? Would that be correct?
Old May 11th 2016, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Do we both need to complete IELTS?
No, but it's less points if you don't.

My husband does not have post secondary education and therefore I do not believe that he qualifies for 'Skilled worker' but I don't believe this stops him from qualifying under CEC? Would that be correct?
There's no requirement to have post-secondary education for the FSW program, although he may not score enough points to qualify because of it.

Unfortunately though, if he doesn't score enough to be eligible as a FSW, he's not likely to score enough on the CRS to be selected from the Express Entry pool either, so he'll probably need to get his points up (PNP nomination or LMIA as mentioned above).

How are your immigration consultants proposing he applies for PR?
Old May 11th 2016, 8:10 am
Just Joined

They proposed that he applies under express entry via Canadian experience. We have a Skype meeting with them tomorrow to discuss further as I still feel they have not given us sound advice!