Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic voyage to land....advice needed

Transatlantic voyage to land....advice needed

Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transatlantic voyage to land....advice needed

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has done the Cunard 6 day Transatlantic voyage with kids and a dog from Southampton to New York one way of course.

Particularly interested in the journey from New York to Buffalo to land there. Did you do a one way car hire from NY - Buffalo? How long is the journey, and were you able to accomodate the dog at any hotels on route to explore the area for a couple of days before landing? Then what happened at Buffalo.....the landing experience and car hire in Canada.

Guys and Gals....I know this is a really big ask.....just trying to look at all the options.
Thanks
lol
Stef
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transatlantic voyage to land....advice needed

This goes double for us - we'll be taking two dogs over, and the cruise on QM2 is something we'd like to do. We'll be watching replies to this post closely :-)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I will PM you
Stef

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
This goes double for us - we'll be taking two dogs over, and the cruise on QM2 is something we'd like to do. We'll be watching replies to this post closely :-)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:27 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I knew I'd seen something on here whilst looking out info for pets so a quick reminder found these which might help:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=QE2

If I wasn't eventually aiming for BC, I would consider it too!

Bali

Last edited by Bali2010; Jan 11th 2010 at 6:29 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has done the Cunard 6 day Transatlantic voyage with kids and a dog from Southampton to New York one way of course.

Particularly interested in the journey from New York to Buffalo to land there. Did you do a one way car hire from NY - Buffalo? How long is the journey, and were you able to accomodate the dog at any hotels on route to explore the area for a couple of days before landing? Then what happened at Buffalo.....the landing experience and car hire in Canada.

Guys and Gals....I know this is a really big ask.....just trying to look at all the options.
Thanks
lol
Stef
Can't give advice on the 'cruise' and the landing, but I have driven Buffalo/New York a couple of times. You can do it in a day no problem - about 5-6 hours + traffic. Its an easy drive - there is a toll road but it is fairly cheap. Go via Syracuse. Hold ups are likely to be on the 190 when you start to queue for Canada Immigration. Also on your exit out of New York.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Bodgerx
Thanks for the info.....looking at this as a possible option
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Can't give advice on the 'cruise' and the landing, but I have driven Buffalo/New York a couple of times. You can do it in a day no problem - about 5-6 hours + traffic. Its an easy drive - there is a toll road but it is fairly cheap. Go via Syracuse. Hold ups are likely to be on the 190 when you start to queue for Canada Immigration. Also on your exit out of New York.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Bodgerx
Thanks for the info.....looking at this as a possible option
lol
Stef
You will have to book quite far in advance, as kennel space goes quickly.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Bali
Thanks for the links......loads of info there
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Hello

I knew I'd seen something on here whilst looking out info for pets so a quick reminder found these which might help:-

If I wasn't eventually aiming for BC, I would consider it too!

Bali
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Yes both dates I was looking at had full kennels, but could go on waiting list once we had a confirmed booking?????
Can't book until our PR comes through though
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You will have to book quite far in advance, as kennel space goes quickly.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Check US visa requirements ... if you do not have a return ticket, you may need a tourist visa to enter the United States.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jaj
Thanks for this.
If you look back at the links supplied in this post to previous posts, someone else said that you only need the usual visa waiver...as you are onward travelling to Canada to become PR there, so would not have difficulty proving that you would not overstay in US. Of course I will check with the shipping company if we do go that way
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by JAJ
Check US visa requirements ... if you do not have a return ticket, you may need a tourist visa to enter the United States.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

Hi Stef,

I'll be watching this post also, just back from a cruise at xmas and its how we want to land even if if the dogs have to follow on a boat later (with my folks), I know its not the case all the time but witnessed a couple of dogs in crates at LA over xmas and the noises and distress they sounded in was to much...if i can do anything to avoid sending them by plane i will.

Hope it all works out.

N.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Not sure if it helps much, but we came back from canada to the UK on the QM2. Mainly because single flights from winnipeg to UK were horribly expensive. we didnt have dogs (just kids) and so managed to book 2 weeks before departure. We managed to get 12 cases/bags in our cabin.

The passage was very relaxing, and to be recommended.

It might be possible to get a train from NewYork, A one way rental will attract an extra charge and you may not be able to take the vehicle into canada on a one way. I think enterprise car rental do one ways, you would need to contact them and ask the question - google may be helpful here.

I was looking to do something similar in reverse when connecting with QM2 but it proved quite expensive.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Thanks for this info. I like the idea of trying to combine a holiday with the landing.........and a little luxury would not be unwelcome. With a flight...it is dead money..........just the flight....but a cruise is sounding more and more civilised by the minute.

12 bags ......oh gosh...that would give my OH a heart attack....and then there is the, possibly humping of that lot on and off a train and the car hire from Niagara to consider..or should we say van hire?....lol....
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Not sure if it helps much, but we came back from canada to the UK on the QM2. Mainly because single flights from winnipeg to UK were horribly expensive. we didnt have dogs (just kids) and so managed to book 2 weeks before departure. We managed to get 12 cases/bags in our cabin.

The passage was very relaxing, and to be recommended.

It might be possible to get a train from NewYork, A one way rental will attract an extra charge and you may not be able to take the vehicle into canada on a one way. I think enterprise car rental do one ways, you would need to contact them and ask the question - google may be helpful here.

I was looking to do something similar in reverse when connecting with QM2 but it proved quite expensive.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for this info. I like the idea of trying to combine a holiday with the landing.........and a little luxury would not be unwelcome. With a flight...it is dead money..........just the flight....but a cruise is sounding more and more civilised by the minute.

12 bags ......oh gosh...that would give my OH a heart attack....and then there is the, possibly humping of that lot on and off a train and the car hire from Niagara to consider..or should we say van hire?....lol....
lol
Stef
We also looked into this last year as others have said book well in advance, It is possible to go by train but bear this in mind if you have dogs ?? car hire might be better ( very large car/van if you have 12 cases ) hire for a couple of weeks gives you time to sort out some wheels then send hubbie to return car to NY ?? then train or fly back ( we are going to Ottawa i think ? ) only looked at this briefly as we haven't had update letter yet ????????

We thought less stress on dogs, a holiday for us, after all the stress of moving etc i think it would be a great way to start a new chapter in our life.

Will watch this with interest, there are older posts where others have done the whole dog, boat, car thing last year i think ?

The chap from Cunard told us there are no luggage limits even had a lawn mower in one cabin last year , do wonder how you go through the border to Canada with all that though ( is it on a goods to follow list ? )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.