Tourist Visa with Police Caution

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:19 am
Just Joined

tbarnes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist Visa with Police Caution

I was cautioned (not convicted) for shoplifting when I was 14. This was 13 years ago as I am now 27 and have a good degree and a good job. Also this has been my only offence and I have never been in any trouble since.

I want to go to Canada for a 2 week holiday later on this year (I am a British citizen with a British passport). I've been reading all the threads and am a little confused. I keep noticing the term "deemed rehabilitated".

As the offence was over 10 years ago and I was only 14 years old at the time, I understand that I am "deemed rehabilitated", but do I need to get a police certificate, or something similar to say I have been "rehabilitated"? And will I need to take this to Canada with me to prove that I am "rehabilitated".

Also will I have to declare my past when going through border/immigration control at the Canadian airport? Is there a box I need to tick/check to say I have been in trouble with the police, although under UK law it is considered spent and I don't need to declare it?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa with Police Caution

Hi

Originally Posted by tbarnes
I was cautioned (not convicted) for shoplifting when I was 14. This was 13 years ago as I am now 27 and have a good degree and a good job. Also this has been my only offence and I have never been in any trouble since.

I want to go to Canada for a 2 week holiday later on this year (I am a British citizen with a British passport). I've been reading all the threads and am a little confused. I keep noticing the term "deemed rehabilitated".

As the offence was over 10 years ago and I was only 14 years old at the time, I understand that I am "deemed rehabilitated", but do I need to get a police certificate, or something similar to say I have been "rehabilitated"? And will I need to take this to Canada with me to prove that I am "rehabilitated".

Also will I have to declare my past when going through border/immigration control at the Canadian airport? Is there a box I need to tick/check to say I have been in trouble with the police, although under UK law it is considered spent and I don't need to declare it?

Thanks
You would be deemed rehabilitated, well you actually weren't inadmissible as it was one summary conviction offense (as long as it was under $5K), No you don't need a police certificate. Canada does not recognize spent convictions.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

What does $5K mean? If the amount of stuff shoplifted was below this value?? It was worth about £10.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:34 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

The Canadian customs form does not ask about criminal convictions.

If you're changing planes in the U.S., you'll have to clear American immigration. They *do* ask about criminal history on the visa waiver form.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What does $5K mean? If the amount of stuff shoplifted was below this value?? It was worth about £10.
Shoplifting in Canada is considered theft. There are 2 levels, Theft under $5K is a summary offense, theft over $5K is a dual offense, in that it can proceed either summarily or by indictment. On summary conviction maximum sentence is 2 years on indictment 10 years.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You would be deemed rehabilitated, well you actually weren't inadmissible as it was one summary conviction offense (as long as it was under $5K), No you don't need a police certificate. Canada does not recognize spent convictions.
A police caution is not a criminal conviction to begin with.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your messages. So if I'm right, I don't need to apply for a visa to visit Canada for a two week holiday. I can just go on my British passport.

Cheers,

Tom