Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa Online & at POE: Which one is valid

Tourist Visa Online & at POE: Which one is valid

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Philigran is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tourist Visa Online & at POE: Which one is valid

Hi guys,

so before my Working Holiday Visa ended, I filed for a change of status with immigration Canada online. I asked for 6 months. Then, shortly before my visa ran out and while my application was still being processed, I left the country for the USA.

I came back 3.5 weeks after ans received a 6 months tourist visa at the POE. However, my application for the change of status was still being processed. The, a few weeks after, I received the approval and got sent the respective papers. Since processing took so long, my departure date is way behind what the immigration officer stamped into my passport back atthe POE.

Which of the two is valid now? The first one, which I received at the POE, or the one I received last via my online application?

Thanks so much guys,

Philipp
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa Online & at POE: Which one is valid

I suspect as you left the country, your re-entry into Canada is the the date to go by... though perhaps someone else can also add their view
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I am really not all to sure. Tried calling Immi Canada but there is literally no chance to talk to an agent.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philigran
Hi guys,

so before my Working Holiday Visa ended, I filed for a change of status with immigration Canada online. I asked for 6 months. Then, shortly before my visa ran out and while my application was still being processed, I left the country for the USA.

I came back 3.5 weeks after ans received a 6 months tourist visa at the POE. However, my application for the change of status was still being processed. The, a few weeks after, I received the approval and got sent the respective papers. Since processing took so long, my departure date is way behind what the immigration officer stamped into my passport back atthe POE.

Which of the two is valid now? The first one, which I received at the POE, or the one I received last via my online application?

Thanks so much guys,

Philipp
Technically you left Canada while your extension was being processed you don't have Implied Status. I highly doubt that CBSA/CIC would care if the extension is valid longer than the 6 months you were given at the POE so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Just to clarify:

according to my stamp received at POE upon re-entry, I entered the country on March 13. Six months stay would mean having to leave Canada by September 13th.

The document I received from Immigration Canada after my Online-Application has been processed states a duration until September 28th.

Should I go by what is noted in my passport instead of the document by CIC?
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly enough I know someone who had a similar experience.
They applied online to extend their stay as a visitor.
Then they left Canada for a few days.
The (CBSA) officer gave them six months upon re-entry but said to them that whatever CIC decided as a result of the online application (i.e. the date on the visitor record they were sent after the online application approval) was the date to go by.
In the person I know's case, the VR record had a date before the POE date.
In my opinion, if you have no date actually written on your passport for when to leave by and you have a VR in hand with an expiry date of 28 September, that would be okay. FL what do you think? (well I think he agrees it's not likely to be an issue).
To be on the safe side though, you could apply to extend your status if that is what you plan to do before 13 September. Online (whether or not you plan to leave by 28 Sept or try to extend your stay beyond that).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 3rd 2016 at 10:52 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:48 am
Just Joined

How awesome that you know someone who was in the same situation.

Yes, my passport doesn't mention a departure date; only the date of arrival. The officer verbally told me that he'd give me 6 months.

Now my visitors record by CIC explicitly stated a validity until September 28th.

Yes, I was considering applying for an extension - maybe it is better to do it before the 13th. I will think about it.

But thanks for the info ... that is awesome.

Philipp
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its a 2 week difference between expiry dates so I highly doubt this becomes a problem if you use the CIC document expiry date.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're all saying the same thing.

But if it were me, I'd apply to extend online a bit before 13 September to be 100% safe.

S
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lancastarian, thanks Snowy.

That is definately some good input. I will give it some thinking and then decide. Your input has helped to sort my options.

Thanks again for your input.

Philipp